What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much to water coco after transplant?

Just transplanted 3 clones from solo cups to 2gal pots. Trying to find out how much I should water. This is my first run so I have zero experience and some basic knowledge. In my research I've heard:

A. You can't really overwater coco.

and

B. After transplant let the coco dry a bit as to encourage the roots to seek out water and grow into new environment (this kind of makes sense)

MicroRoy

I give a good watering. I at times dunk the entire pot in water let it sink up to the top then lift and let it run out.

I do half cocco half Perlite.

As the water goes out the bottom it pulls some air into the top.

MickFoster

I saturate the coco, I never let it dry out. I start in solo cups, then to a 44 oz. container and finally into a two gallon bucket.

MicroRoy

B. After transplant let the coco dry a bit as to encourage the roots to seek out water and grow into new environment (this kind of makes sense)
Yes if it is watered well In my experience as the plant uses the water around the root ball fresh water is pulled in and the roots start to reach out. Then the top of the soil starts to dry water starts to wick up from the bottom and the roots start reaching down.

Yes if it is watered well In my experience as the plant uses the water around the root ball fresh water is pulled in and the roots start to reach out. Then the top of the soil starts to dry water starts to wick up from the bottom and the roots start reaching down.

Excellent. Makes sense, thanks for confirming!

MicroRoy

I'm in a 60/40 coco/perlite mix right now. do you generally water daily?
I don't water daily in the beginning. I lift the pots and judge the weight. Then towards the end they might need watered daily. I might dunk or top water. If I don't want to deal with run off I water a bit then water again after a few minutes. Gives it time to soak in.

I water from a can with a narrow spout and count the seconds of pour. If my first pour and second pour are 15 seconds each and just a bit of water drains
The next time I water I know that I can do a 30 second pour. The bigger the plants the longer the pour.

Last edited:
I don't water daily in the beginning. I lift the pots and judge the weight. Then towards the end they might need watered daily. I might dunk or top water. If I don't want to deal with run off I water a bit then water again after a few minutes. Gives it time to soak in.

I water from a can with a narrow spout and count the seconds of pour. If my first pour and second pour are 15 seconds each and just a bit of water drains
The next time I water I know that I can do a 30 second pour. The bigger the plants the longer the pour.

That makes sense. I have my closet jerry-rigged right now so its really difficult for me to get in there and lift the pots without messing everything up. My tent gets here tomorrow though! :dance013:

Thanks again. :tiphat:

MicroRoy

That makes sense. I have my closet jerry-rigged right now so its really difficult for me to get in there and lift the pots without messing everything up. My tent gets here tomorrow though! :dance013:

Thanks again. :tiphat:

Ok the poor and count will work for you. Put your pots in a tray. Then put somthing under the pot that lets some air under them. Like small stones. You don't want a soggy bottom.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Bum advice on here. You can overwater in coco. It happens when your root system isn't developed enough to match the container. Stick a plant from a solo cup into a 2 gal container of coco and then saturate it is ASKING for problems. You'll be back on here with pictures of your plants asking "what's wrong with them".

MicroRoy

Bum advice on here. You can overwater in coco. It happens when your root system isn't developed enough to match the container. Stick a plant from a solo cup into a 2 gal container of coco and then saturate it is ASKING for problems. You'll be back on here with pictures of your plants asking "what's wrong with them".

You ar assumeing advice not given.

Stoned knows his shit. What I have done in my transplants and it works every time is I completely and fully saturate the coco immediately after transplant to get the medium evenly balanced and settled in with a ton of Run off. But after this initial flooding I let the coco dry out and do not water again til the coco appears to dry or turn light brown. You want the plant and roots to seek out moisture and they won't do this if you are drowning the plant. At this point roots will start popping out of the bottom of the container. Repeat over and over with more frequency of watering until roots are developed and from there you can begin to water everyday.

What do you suggest?

I pretty much just told you. I would wait till your solo cup gets fully rooted and then transplant that bad boy into the 2g and water her only every couple days til roots fully develop into new container. If it was me I would probably transplant into a 1 gallon container first if time is allowed.

N

noyd666

just done 7 , just lightly water around the edge of plant taking most out to edge so roots will seek the moisture out, don't satch it out. easy bro ,go do it. step one and two. step three last pot. take it easy at first ,you will see what's going on mainly by weight when you pick up second nature after awhile. resist the urge to over water.:tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Stoned knows his shit. What I have done in my transplants and it works every time is I completely and fully saturate the coco immediately after transplant to get the medium evenly balanced and settled in with a ton of Run off. But after this initial flooding I let the coco dry out and do not water again til the coco appears to dry or turn light brown. You want the plant and roots to seek out moisture and they won't do this if you are drowning the plant. At this point roots will start popping out of the bottom of the container. Repeat over and over with more frequency of watering until roots are developed and from there you can begin to water everyday.

This is how I do it.

I pretty much just told you. I would wait till your solo cup gets fully rooted and then transplant that bad boy into the 2g and water her only every couple days til roots fully develop into new container. If it was me I would probably transplant into a 1 gallon container first if time is allowed.

Ahh I didn't see your comment before I asked that. It makes sense because as the water is used by the plant or evaporates the roots will be encouraged to extend in search of more water. I watered when I transplanted so will now let dry out a bit then water along the edges so the roots will have to extend. Thanks!

And Stoned def. knows his shit as he's already helped me on another post too lol.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Another option that I use is to put coco in a large tote, water with light nutes till it is moist but not saturated, like a good squeeze will release a little water, and then transplant with this moist coco. Wait a few days till it starts to dry and then give it water. It's a little extra work but works great for me. Of course this is with dry bagged coco, with bricks you're pretty much doing this anyway.