What's new

Help with Wiring a Variac / Fan speed controller please

Hi All,

I was hoping someone with some electrical knowledge / experience, could help me wire this thing.

This is the slightly larger model of Variac. Model No : STR-1-35L22
Fuse 5A

Pics below.

picture.php

closeup
picture.php

fuse section
picture.php

where do my wires go?
On the smaller model, the section for green/yellow wire goes in P section, however this model doesnt have a section labelled P

oh, theres a small section below with a green/yellow wire going to it.
picture.php

do i add the green yellow wire from my plug>variac in this section?

the smaller model variac was easier to wire up, this one is confusing me.
How should i arrange all the wires ?

any help would be appreciated.
Have a great day:tiphat:

Last edited:

RudeDog

Veteran
I'm glad you've posted this, I'm just about to buy one. What size fan are you running on it? I'm a bit stuck the rating of the controller to get.

I'm glad you've posted this, I'm just about to buy one. What size fan are you running on it? I'm a bit stuck the rating of the controller to get.

hi m8,
hope you well and having a gr8 day.

Im using it on a KSA 200 extractor fan. Only reason why im using this larger variac is cause i ended up getting it for free. Might just get the smaller model, if I cant work out how to wire this larger model up.

All my other fans, are on the 1.5A model, and they working just fine. From what ive read, its all to do with amps it can handle..

If you havent tried a variac, id say its worth it man. Ive had a fan speed controller which made my old fan hum/buzz and was really annoying. ended up ruining a decent fan.

If you want photos of how to wire the smaller model up, i can post some up, as i took pictures to help me whilst installing em.

Have a gr8 day mate.
Regards.

RudeDog

Veteran
Hi mate...yeah purchased a 1.5 amp variac last night. After a bit of reading I'm not far off knowing how to make one. I've got an 8" S & P in a 1.2 square tent and it just needs to be on tick over. I bought an SMSCOM controller with temperature sensor, soon unplugged it.

Cheers pal..

yts farmer

Veteran
Hey bro hot it working yet?

Earth wire go into screw terminals below connector block.

Brown from plug goes to L and blue goes to N on left hand side.

Blue from fan goes to N and brown from fan goes to U(both on right hand side) eath goes to seperate earth terminal below.

Peace

thanks for the replies guys.

i managed to get it up and running.
but really appreciate the details, as hopefully it can help
anyone else who needs to wire up.

If need be i can post some shots of smaller variac or this
larger one , all wired up. just shout if anyone needs
pics to help em.

thanks again ytsfarmer and -tempa-.
hats off to you both :tiphat::tiphat:

HereIgrowagain

Pics would be great TT. I have an sms but need to change it coz of a slight buzz that is doing my tits in. My electrical experience is red t red black to black n blue to f..k

Pics would be great TT. I have an sms but need to change it coz of a slight buzz that is doing my tits in. My electrical experience is red t red black to black n blue to f..k

no problem mate.

When the camera battery is charged back up , ill take photos of both variacs and post them up. Hopefully will be tomorrow if thats ok for you.

wiring em up

wiring em up

heres a couple of pics of my 1.5A variac , wired up and working...

only tip i would say with these, is keep a pack of correct sized fuses handy. mine blew and took me a few days to find a pack.
now i keep a pack of each handy, so if any blow, i got a replacement one waiting...

1.5A variac
picture.php

picture.php

close up of fixed wiring...lol
laughing.gif

3.5A variac

picture.php

picture.php

close up of 3.5A wiring.

Last edited:
Would the 1.5 be enough for a RVK 150 L1 sileo 720cfm? Or would the 3.5 be more suitable.

just googled your fan bro, from what i gather :
Rated air-flow: 720 m3/hour
Noise level: 44.8 dB
Power consumption: 109 Watts
Current draw: 0.48 Amps

amps are 0.48, so the 1.5 A will do you fine.

yts farmer

Veteran
Yo TT that wiring (1.5a) is worse than shabby bro lol.

Looks like motor wires are actually touching, might want to tidy it a bit.

Stay safe bro.

Peace.

Yo TT that wiring (1.5a) is worse than shabby bro lol.

Looks like motor wires are actually touching, might want to tidy it a bit.

Stay safe bro.

Peace.

lol, your right bro.
Forgot to fix pic the other day. after i seen the shabbyness on monitor , i decided to go and fix it.
I think ive upgraded to shaby version 2.0 :tiphat::dance013:

thanks for the tip, and safety notice
Hope everyone elses wires up safely and with no hiccups.

HereIgrowagain

Finally got my hands on a 1.5Amp Variac at a cracking price too. I never realised the size of these things. I was expecting something about 6"x4" Anyway, cracking piece of kit, running on first setting and still got the tent buckled inwards, almost silent. Happy days :tiphat:

G

Ghostdawg

heres a couple of pics of my 1.5A variac , wired up and working...

only tip i would say with these, is keep a pack of correct sized fuses handy. mine blew and took me a few days to find a pack.
now i keep a pack of each handy, so if any blow, i got a replacement one waiting...

1.5A variac
View Image

View Image
close up of fixed wiring...lolView Image

3.5A variac

View Image
View Image

close up of 3.5A wiring.

Hey tasty trichomes i have the same variac controller in the first pic..do i put the earth wire from my fan into same earth wire in first slot ???

I tried to wire mine up but its only workng on 3 steps instead of 5 ?

cheers ghost...

Hey tasty trichomes i have the same variac controller in the first pic..do i put the earth wire from my fan into same earth wire in first slot ???

I tried to wire mine up but its only workng on 3 steps instead of 5 ?

cheers ghost...

hi mate,

apologies for the delay, just spotted the thread...

i cut the earth cable from fan,and did not attach to anything. should have really put some insulation tape on the end of it now i think about it.

picture.php

left side is cable from plug socket. The earth is attached at the left end.
right hand side is the cabling from fan, the earth has been cut and is not attached to anything.

Hope that helps bruv.
Any issues , drop me a PM, or post back. Ill keep an eye out over this week at the thread.

Hope you and everyone has a great weekend.
:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts