What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exposure to soil, house dust and decaying plants increases gut microbial diversity an

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I have used this argument with my wife to support my dirty hippy ways, once again I was right

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1462-2920.12895/abstract

Summary

To assess the impact of sanitation of a living environment on gut microbiota and development of the immune system, we raised BALB/c mice under three distinct environmental conditions: a specific pathogen-free animal room (SPF), a general animal room (XZ) and a farmhouse (JD). All other variables like diet, age, genetic background, physiological status and original gut microbiota were controlled for in the three groups. Using high-throughput sequencing of the 16S rRNA gene, we found that each mouse group had a specific structure of the gut microbial community. Groups JD and XZ harboured a significantly more diverse and richer gut microbiota than did group SPF. Bacteroidetes were significantly more abundant in groups XZ and JD than in group SPF, whereas Firmicutes showed the inverse pattern. Total serum immunoglobulin E (IgE) levels were significantly lower in groups XZ and JD than in group SPF. There were no significant differences in gut microbiota diversity and serum IgE concentration between groups JD and XZ, but we found higher abundance of dominant genera in the gut microflora of group JD. We conclude that exposure to soil, house dust and decaying plant material enhances gut microbial diversity and innate immunity. Our results seem to provide new evidence supporting the hygiene hypothesis.

dddaver

Veteran
Kinda makes sense really. They also say babies need to be exposed to animals and "dirty stuff", even peanuts and other stuff people are usually allergic to, early in life, so their bodies will develop the immunities they need naturally.

But the last sentence of that summary, "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our results seem to provide new evidence supporting the hygiene hypothesis,"seems to contradict their findings. Unless the hygiene hypothesis is not washing your hands :biggrin:
[/FONT]

Betterhaff

Veteran
Yep, I’ve been digging in the dirt since I was a little kid and got sick a lot less than others. This compulsion toward extreme cleanliness is not necessarily the best path. Sure there are bad pathogens out there but if the results of obsessive cleanliness are lowered immunities it seems to be a bit counterproductive.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Fear of germs and illness sells more anti bacterial soap and things such as that.

Those who know about genuine good living and good body health really could
care less about another person's bad habits.

Pearls and swine and thirsty horses.

The science is there if you want it, thanks wierd, good thread.