What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Gavita Doughnut..... will it work????

Budley Doright

Veteran
This room is a quick and dirty.... an experiment....

Since I dont think this has been tried..... I thought I would give it a shot...

5 gallon promix..... the gavita is a 1000 de but only running 600

I use jacks and calcium nitrate at about 600ppm.....

The area is just less than 5 x 5

The plants are a mix of GG4 and Tres Dog....

I have no plans to update this much over the next few weeks......

But certainly more toward the end of things....

I plan to harvest at 10 weeks.....

The view from over the top of the screen..... I used 4 foot wire for the screen....

Since I dont like the term defoliated ...... I will make up my own....they have been fan leaf-iated

There is a frame for a 40 inch x 40 inch horizontal screen that Im not using for this first round..,....

CoCoSativas

There's light and there's dope plants so going to throw it out there if you can grow it will work, otherwise it won't...

A better question is will it work well and there a lack of information about the "gavita doughnut" does that mean you hung them in a circle or you use them to cook doughnuts on top the reflector? That might get sticky so maybe don't to that I'm hoping you meant you hung them in a ring.

Anyway if you want well formulated opinions throw out some more info otherwise I have no idea what you are really asking. Amusing name though and with the quick and dirty thing it makes me laugh. Ugh the quick and dirty doughnut jokes, if I was at work with my employees, I could imagine. Lol I own a construction company the guys would eat something like that phrasing alive. Normally I would to but I'm early to the thread and won't Mar it with some foul and tasteless remarks...

Budley Doright

Veteran
I know this will have some detractors......

Im really not looking for opinions..... It was a sort of rhetorical question....

the wheels are already rolling.....

We shall see if it works in a couple months.....

CoCoSativas

You posted a thread that was a rhetoric? OK...

Have fun with that I don't get what you mean by the doughnut, and would like to point out rhetoric is pretty hard to catch over a computer screen with no voice, face or anything else to hint it was such...

Anyway have fun with your doughnuts and good luck

Budley Doright

Veteran
I guess thats the word....

Since nobody has tried this the only way to find out is to do it....

Thats what this thread is....

An experiment to see how well it works....

View Image

According to this..... its called a vertical grow circular.......

To me its a doughnut with a floor.....

CoCoSativas

OK now I get it. I wasn't trying to be a dickhead I just wasn't familiar with the term, am sure there's lots of others confused.

Anyway your idea seems neat I don't see a problem with it. Good luck I'll stop by here and there to see what's going on

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
To me the whole idea of a doughnut is to hang the bulbs vertically. I have done what your basic idea is on the end of a flood table I used to run. I put a plant in a 5 gal. pail on the end of the flood table, and hung a screen behind the plant and made a wall of buds instead of an empty wall.

I feel you would benefit more from doing a regular flat grow, and put screens on all 4 sides, then train the outside plants on the screens. That way you would have a bunch of plants in the middle, and walls of buds on the sides.

Budley Doright

Veteran
To me the whole idea of a doughnut is to hang the bulbs vertically. I have done what your basic idea is on the end of a flood table I used to run. I put a plant in a 5 gal. pail on the end of the flood table, and hung a screen behind the plant and made a wall of buds instead of an empty wall.

I feel you would benefit more from doing a regular flat grow, and put screens on all 4 sides, then train the outside plants on the screens. That way you would have a bunch of plants in the middle, and walls of buds on the sides.

Thats actually where the idea came from.... I have a normal grow and a couple plants on the sides.....

The pics show a slightly smaller screen frame.... like 40 inches by 40 inches..... and then the vertical screen all around that.....

I reduced the normal footprint of the normal flat screen from about 5 x 4 to give the outer plants a better shot.....

I didnt really have plants the right shape for the horizontal plants.... so I used what I had......

All in all its just an experiment because I dont think all plant are that happy in scrog..... my bruce banner 3..... and sour dubb are both plants that are not great flat screen plants.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
OK now I get it. I wasn't trying to be a dickhead I just wasn't familiar with the term, am sure there's lots of others confused.

Anyway your idea seems neat I don't see a problem with it. Good luck I'll stop by here and there to see what's going on

Its cool..... the only forum that knows anything about doughnut is this one...... so thats why I posted it here in vertical......

Budley Doright

Veteran
This grow was a combination of vertical and horizontal plants....

My main focus however..... How will the vertical plants react with more light from above as opposed to a bare bulb sodium.....

The first pic is the bottom of the plant...... the question is....how much larf...

Obviously the buds at the bottom are smaller....however they are all well formed buds on this GG4 plant....

Here is the wider view of the well trained vertical plant....

Finally a couple of the buds....

These are at 6 weeks....Still about 3 weeks to go....and some filling out...but I really like this style of grow...... but in a larger space where you have access to the back of the vertical plants.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
I finished with this test......

and I rather liked the grow a lot......

It was mostly to see how the vertical plants would turn out.....

Buds from top to bottom........ no real larf....

Bottom of the plant...

overview of plant....gg4...

and a couple buds I had shown before...