What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

banana peels..

if the peels will suffice then why not enjoy that banana in a nice banana split or
smoothie...

now im interested lol

did a quick google, and grabbed some maybe real information? lol

this is the nutritional facts of a BANANA... assuming that its not
taking into consideration the PEEL... SO below I googled PEEL
nutrient facts.
I dont have time, but I love math, but some savy math people
can probably put together these numbers to help them make more sense
to everyone else.... I do love me some math problems, but i dont
have the time to wrap my mind around these numbers lol

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) (118 g)
Per Serving

Calories 105

Calories from Fat 4

Total Fat 0.4g

Saturated Fat 0.1g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 1mg

Potassium 422.44mg

Carbohydrates 27g

Dietary Fiber 3.1g

Sugars 14.4g

Protein 1.3g
Vitamin A 2% · Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 1% · Iron 2%

Read more: Calories in Bananas | Nutrition and Health Facts http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-bananas-i9040#ixzz3npfDXwPF

now PEEL INFO

Potassium

Dried banana peels are 42 percent potassium, more than most other organic substances, such as manure at 0.5 percent, wood ash at 10 percent and cantaloupe rinds at 12 percent. Potassium promotes the movement of water and nutrients between cells. It also strengthens stems and protects plants from disease. Because the plant is healthier, it might flower more. After the plant blooms, potassium can improve the quality and size of any fruit or nuts.
Phosphorus

Banana peels are 3.25 percent phosphorus, one of the other major nutrients that plants need to grow. Phosphorus helps rooting, improves winter hardiness and speeds up flowering and fruiting. Banana peels inserted in the soil near the roots are an effective way to get phosphorus to your plants, because the peels break down quickly in the soil. This immediacy is helpful, because phosphorus is not mobile in the soil.

Additional Nutrients

Banana peels do not contain nitrogen, the primary nutrient necessary for foliage growth. The peels do, however, contain relatively high levels of some micronutrients. Calcium -- concentrated at 19.2 milligrams per gram in fresh peels -- improves the breakdown of organic materials in the soil; makes other nutrients in the soil, nitrogen in particular, more available to plants; and controls how nutrients and water move in and out of cells. Manganese, concentrated at 76.2 mg/g in banana peels, aids in photosynthesis and the formation of some enzymes and plant pigments. Sodium, concentrated at 24.3 mg/g, is involved in the movement of water and ions between cells. The peels also contain magnesium and sulfur, both important in the formation of chlorophyll.
Fertilizing With Banana Peels

One of the benefits of fertilizing with banana peels is that they break down quickly -- either in the soil or in compost -- making those nutrients available to plants sooner than nutrients from other organic materials. When burying peels, bury them deep so they don't attract animals or insects as they would if left on or just under the surface. You can also chop peels and steep them in water for a week, strain the peels out, and pour the solution on the soil to get the benefit of the nutrients without attracting pests. Since banana peels are not a complete fertilizer, don't rely on the peels alone to feed your plants, especially if your plants are heavy nitrogen feeders. The peels are most effective when composted to blend with nitrogen-rich materials.

Probably wouldnt hurt throwing in a WHOLE banana with a bunch of the peels for
some added goodies...

Scrappy4

Veteran

some added goodies

After reading your post you proved a whole ripe banana is much more than a dried up skin. Probably wouldn't hurt, lol

fuggzy

GREEN NANNERS! Oh no, my tree hermied on me.

GREEN NANNERS! Oh no, my tree hermied on me.

Anyone see any problems using green bananas? Fruit and peel. I have tree that bent in 1/2, and there is a full cluster. I'd say ~18-24, 4" nanners. I liked baking them, and I'd like to store and use'em on command. I could just blend and compost them. The best I really found was they make a great snack for people with dubieties type 2. Low in sugar, high in starch, and still have a high level of potassium.

As far as the flower, it will serve me well. I am making a FPJ with it. I found a video some time ago talking about using brown sugar instead of water. It takes about 1/4 the time, and smell like what you use in my experience. I've made 2 so far with banana flowers, and it is amazing. I've never smelled anything man made that came close to the fragrance of this. The entire process of cleaning it up to finishing it is like a good therapy session. I also read somewhere it is high in enzymes, but I think fermenting screws that up. IDK, still learning here. Love your soil, so it can love you back, right?

Anywho... It is done through osmotic pressure. This is the wiki page explaining that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmotic_pressure

This is the video. He doesn't talk about the flower much, more about the process.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Verm0vJhLjk

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but found some info on the flower values. From: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-health-benefits-of-banana-flowers/

Nutritional Value Of Banana Flower:
As per the African Journal of Biotechnology, 100g of banana flower offers the below mentioned nutrition:

51 kcal
1.6g of Protein
0.6g of Fat
9.9g Carb
5.7fgof Fiber
56mg of Calcium
73.3mg of Phosphorous
56.4mg of Iron
13mg of Copper
553.3 mg of Potassium
48.7mg of Magnesium
1.07mg of Vitamin E

Also.... Anyone know there where blue bananas? Kinda neat.

"A bunch ready to be harvested will have reached its full size, will have achieved its full yellow (or red or blue) coloration and will have rounded out. (Immature bananas have an angular quality that softens as the fruit ripens). "http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~alice/explorations/write/wbananas.htm About 5/8 the way down.

some added goodies

After reading your post you proved a whole ripe banana is much more than a dried up skin. Probably wouldn't hurt, lol

I knew doing the hard part, Googling, and letting someone else
go thru the info would serve valuable to the community ;P :p :p

Love ya Scrappy :) hahah

that "data" but im happy that you had the time and went
forth and made a conclusion :)

Now Ill add a few WHOLE bananas from time to time :p

bigshrimp

Veteran
Yeah i feed them to the worms.

The biggest issue with using them more for me is im lazy. I dont want to dry and grind some fibrous peel.. Worms do love them though.

SwampyTHC

really cool thread, so are we saying that burning bananas and using the ash holds actual beneficial values i mean i can see the logic behind it but can anyone clarify this before i set my nanas on fire and run it on 2 of 4 jack herers

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
put em in the oven on low temp and let em roast until they are black and hard, you can either stick these in the soil like stakes or pulverize them into powder or even do a tea with them.

dont throw raw bananas on your plants guys unless you want a nice pest and disease vector...

Ash is better then raw... breaks down faster no bugs etc...

banana peels not the banana...

SwampyTHC

thank you very much tony green i shall be doing that first thing tomorrow and ill update on how i do with this new experiment

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
youll know when they baked long enough because they will be black and hard/brittle, long slow roast is key, wanna get all that moisture out.

westtexas

The good farmers try to use as little chemical pest control as possible due to the destructive nature of them...we r finding that a border of one plant will control the insects across an entire field of produce.... Been in farming my who life... P.s. use a bio water in your compost to help the natural nuts.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
you might want to take into consideration spreading a disease or whatever to your plants since bananas are grown in a tropical climate. just a thought..

fuggzy

Huh

Huh

you might want to take into consideration spreading a disease or whatever to your plants since bananas are grown in a tropical climate. just a thought..

I'm just curious if you could expand on why you think a tropical climate would promote disease. I don't see the climate being nearly important as how it was grown, harvested, ripened, or transported. I grow my own bananas, in a tropical climate. Maybe you could enlighten me.

SwampyTHC

As tony suggested though I will be barbecueing them to a crisp and pulversising them into a powder if however you mean the pests that would be attracted or even growing in composting nana peel yes pests and problems would no doubt arise.:tiphat:

St. Phatty

I've been composting my banana peels for a few years now.

I weighed 2 of them today on a food scale, 4.35 oz.

Call it 2.1 oz. per banana peel.

x 350 (eat a banana almost every day) ... about 46 pounds
of banana peels per year.

I wonder how much it weighs by the time the worms are done with it.

With organic hot composting, doing it as a group, we observed a major volume reduction over a 4 week period, by measurement it lost 5/6 of its volume. But there were no banana peels in that feed-stock.

Dion

i chop em,boil them to rid disease, cool and strain it and water with that

the K values arnt as high as ud think though- u can boil it down longer to get a stronger batch

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
I throw them into the blender, smash them to a fine pure for 5 minutes until they get dark brown (even the green ones) and then ad some blackstrap molasses, wormcastings and water and bubble them for 36 to 48 hours. Dilute the tea with tap water in 1:1 ratio and fed the plants with this solution.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
dry the peels and pile em up..they catch fire and burn easily...I use a stainless serving tray ....yeehaw..ashes for everyone...

Latest posts

Latest posts