What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this TMV?

Rendar1970

I posted a few pics on reddit of some strange leaf growth that just developed on my plant (this is new growth, old growth is unaffected and looks perfect) and was told it looks like TMV.

Here are the pics: http://imgur.com/a/V1QEb

However from reading a few threads and looking up more info, im not sure. I found on one site a picture that looks exactly like mine, and it says its TMV, however...

1. Everything I read says TMV slows your plant growth down to a crawl. Ive actually been experiencing a huge surge in growth, so this seems counter indicative.

2. Also read that TMV shows up on older growth, and newer growth is usually not affected. Well, these leaves showing the issues in question is on newer growth. Old growth is healthy, unaffected, and looks normal.

If this indeed does looke like TMV, what can I do?

I have been vegging for 2 months, about to flip to flower in 5 days. Is my whole crop wasted. Should I try and flower and just hope for the best or rip out everything and start over?

Is there any tried and true method to help keep the virus in control? I know there is no way to get rid of it, but I have seen 2-3 different chemicals promoted as able to keep the virus in check, and even read one article about using aspirin.

This is my first ever grow. I got these plants as clones from a friend. He said he hasnt seen anything similar on the clones he kept, or the mother plant, so im not sure exactly how I got TMV since I havent had any contact with other plants, no bugs, etc. As I said I have been vegging for 2 months and this is the first signs of something strange like this, and im 5 days from starting flower so just really hoping this is NOT TMV, or if it is, that I caught it early enough I can hopefully treat it some and still have an OK harvest.

Rendar1970

Im still looking for help on this situation.

My plants are still doing very well. They are growing big and strong. Just switched to flowering on 10/1/15. All plants are showing sex already, got medium amount of stretch.

I have 6 plants total. 5 of them now all have 1-3 leaves that look like this. It doesnt really seem to be hurting the plant though. But it still bothers me that I cant figure out what it is.

When I search images for what looks like mine, it shows up as 2 different things. The first is a thread on TMV, the other a thread about broadmites. Since I cant rule on TMV without a lab test, I have ordered a 60x loupe to see if I cant find any bugs, because with the naked eye, I dont see anything.

Since I just got my plants to show sex, im really only about week 1 into flower. So if I do have broad mites, here is my plan of attack for now, since I cannot afford any of the $300 bottle of miticides.

1. Heat Treatment: I read on many sites that broad mites die in temps over 112-120F. So Im going to unhook my exhaust fan, let the lights turn on, and cook the grow room around 120 for 40 minutes. Im going to make sure I water heavily right before I do this. My plants are far to big to do the whole dip into hot water.

2. After the heat treatment Im going to let the plants recover and the next day apply a heavy dose of Neem.

3. After a day to recover Im going to give my plants the full treatment with the 3 pack for OGBiowar

4. For the next 2 weeks, during lights off, Im going to hang 2 Hot Shot NO Pest strips in the tent.

From the many threads I read, people seem to have had good results with all the above without having to resort to $1000 of dollars in miticides. Im still really hoping this is all just some kind of strange genetic issue, but I cant seem to get any answers from any of the forums Ive posted this in.