What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Back From The Wilderness

RudeDog

Veteran
Hey all.....After several years (about three years) of not being able to grow, I'm now in a position to start up again. Last time out I was doing organic in soil under a 250w HPS. I also ran a few plants in my greenhouse.

So now I'm settled with a new place to grow, I'll be going down the hydroponic route, last time I did hydro was NFT about fifteen years ago.

The plan is:-

1m x 1m x 2m tent, 600w HPS. I toyed with the idea of LED but after a mooch about HPS is the way to go for me. I've ordered four 20 litre buckets with lids, 80mm mesh pots, clay balls and some peat pellets for a DWC setup. The setup is in a spare bedroom.

I need some input from you guys regarding:-

Tent - which make. I'm leaning towards a Bud Box.

Light - 600w HPS. Which make and reflector would you recommend.

Extraction - I'm thinking a 5" scrubber on a 6" extractor. This needs to be as quiet as possible. Advice on what to get here?

I've ordered a DR60 for a veg/clone and mother tent. I'd really like a 150w metal halide in here but can't seem to find anything suitable, any suggestions?

Any other input people might have on which nutes to go with, air pumps to use etc would be most welcome. I also need to get a ph and EF meter.

Hopefully my seeds are still viable, they've been in the fridge, chilling.

Looking forward to getting going again....:tiphat:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Nice to see you back RudeDog look forward to seeing you in action again, nice one stay safe.:).

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
if you have the space, can I recommend a 1.2m tent? the .2 doesnt sound like much but makes the world of difference mate..

RudeDog

Veteran
if you have the space, can I recommend a 1.2m tent? the .2 doesnt sound like much but makes the world of difference mate..

Hi mate....Yeah, it would be nice but I have to leave room for the missus' ironing board....

Would a 400w be more suitable of 1m x 1m tent?

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
if you're going the 1m2 then I would still run the 600 myself, I just find the extra .2 lets me get a bit more out of the same lamp is all :)

RudeDog

Veteran
I'm going to go with a 1.2 x 1.2. The veg tent can be moved to another room at a later date once I've decorated.

Big-Narstie

Yea i 2nd what JS says that extra 10cm each way makes a massive different in terms yield. Even the environment will b bit better.

Oh there's a perfectly good work top in the kitchen tell her! She should be well known to it lol.

Yea boi a 6" out will do it but an 5" for intake n Theyll be well happy.. Welcome home and very nice to meet you. Get back at it bro!!

Lol u posted for my post loaded took 15 mins!!

Gd call u can easy yield an extra 5 oz with that space imo

Edgey

Good to see you back in the game mate ����

I'd agree that the 1.2 gives enough extra to make it worth it . Secret jardin make a good one

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A warm welcome back rude dog,,,,
Good luck with your future endeavors,
Peace and regards s2

RudeDog

Veteran
Yea i 2nd what JS says that extra 10cm each way makes a massive different in terms yield. Even the environment will b bit better.

Oh there's a perfectly good work top in the kitchen tell her! She should be well known to it lol.

Yea boi a 6" out will do it but an 5" for intake n Theyll be well happy.. Welcome home and very nice to meet you. Get back at it bro!!

Lol u posted for my post loaded took 15 mins!!

Gd call u can easy yield an extra 5 oz with that space imo

Good to meet you pal...Back on it. Just got to clean the bedroom down and wait for the tents to rock up.

Good to see you back in the game mate ����

I'd agree that the 1.2 gives enough extra to make it worth it . Secret jardin make a good one

Good to be back, I've been reading IC but keeping my head down. I'll check those tents mate tonight. Veg tent bought, just need a light and a fan for it. Hope all good with you. :tiphat:

A warm welcome back rude dog,,,,
Good luck with your future endeavors,
Peace and regards s2

Cheers mate, hoping to grow out a few seeds in the future.

Hi Rd ..Have you been running lost in the woods m8 ? :D

np

Hi mate...It certainly felt like that like, I need some home grown weed.

nice to meet you rudedog

To meet you, nice...Hi pal :tiphat:

Good to see you back bro :)

I've missed this place...Looking forward to getting back at it.

Blazeee

Veteran
Hey all.....After several years (about three years) of not being able to grow, I'm now in a position to start up again. Last time out I was doing organic in soil under a 250w HPS. I also ran a few plants in my greenhouse.

So now I'm settled with a new place to grow, I'll be going down the hydroponic route, last time I did hydro was NFT about fifteen years ago.

The plan is:-

1m x 1m x 2m tent, 600w HPS. I toyed with the idea of LED but after a mooch about HPS is the way to go for me. I've ordered four 20 litre buckets with lids, 80mm mesh pots, clay balls and some peat pellets for a DWC setup. The setup is in a spare bedroom.

I need some input from you guys regarding:-

Tent - which make. I'm leaning towards a Bud Box.

Light - 600w HPS. Which make and reflector would you recommend.

Extraction - I'm thinking a 5" scrubber on a 6" extractor. This needs to be as quiet as possible. Advice on what to get here?

I've ordered a DR60 for a veg/clone and mother tent. I'd really like a 150w metal halide in here but can't seem to find anything suitable, any suggestions?

Any other input people might have on which nutes to go with, air pumps to use etc would be most welcome. I also need to get a ph and EF meter.

Hopefully my seeds are still viable, they've been in the fridge, chilling.

Looking forward to getting going again....:tiphat:

Hey there mate, your plans looking good. Regarding the tent a 1m x 1m will give you 11sqft, a 600w woulld fit in there perfectly giving you 54.5 watts per sqft. If you did decide to go with a 1.2x1.2m tent you would have 16 sqft, a 600 in a 1.2 would give you 37.5 watts per sqt, the rule of thumb/recomenneded is 50w per sqft, so personaly i would go with the 1mx1m tent if i was you.

Regarding the tent brand i would shy away from the budget tents with the zip in the middle of the door so it zips downwards/upwards, i tent to find those tents are abit shit and if the zip fucks up youve got no chance of closing the doors, the zip is also abit fiddley to close.

As far as extraction goes, 5 inch filter on a 6 inch fan will be perfect, buy a 6-5 inch reducer to set the filter up to the fan, some ducttape and your good. If noise is an issue get some 6 inch accoustic ducting for the side of the fan where the air blows out and maybe look in to boxing the fan up with the box it comes in. Use the ducttape around the fan to reduce noise. Once the fans in the box fill with some expanding foam and tape the box up that should help abit.

As far as your veg area goes dr60 should be fine, i saw you mentioned you used to run a 250, if you still have that use that however you will need to buy a fan to cool it, if you dont want to purchase a second fan tip the tent on its side and buy a couple of those kitchen lights from b&q (around £10 each for those thick t8 fixtures) wire some plugs to them and your good to go shouldnt need any extraction and plants can get away with touching the bulbs.

If youve ran dwc before and your comfortable with it go with it, however you know what they say, soil is more forgiving. Would also save money on the ph pen/ec meter thats if your on a budget. Bear in mind those air pumps do make some noise and may turn out bieng louder than your fan.

Good luck with your grow mate, all the best and take care :tiphat:

RudeDog

Veteran
Hey there mate, your plans looking good. Regarding the tent a 1m x 1m will give you 11sqft, a 600w woulld fit in there perfectly giving you 54.5 watts per sqft. If you did decide to go with a 1.2x1.2m tent you would have 16 sqft, a 600 in a 1.2 would give you 37.5 watts per sqt, the rule of thumb/recomenneded is 50w per sqft, so personaly i would go with the 1mx1m tent if i was you.

Regarding the tent brand i would shy away from the budget tents with the zip in the middle of the door so it zips downwards/upwards, i tent to find those tents are abit shit and if the zip fucks up youve got no chance of closing the doors, the zip is also abit fiddley to close.

As far as extraction goes, 5 inch filter on a 6 inch fan will be perfect, buy a 6-5 inch reducer to set the filter up to the fan, some ducttape and your good. If noise is an issue get some 6 inch accoustic ducting for the side of the fan where the air blows out and maybe look in to boxing the fan up with the box it comes in. Use the ducttape around the fan to reduce noise. Once the fans in the box fill with some expanding foam and tape the box up that should help abit.

As far as your veg area goes dr60 should be fine, i saw you mentioned you used to run a 250, if you still have that use that however you will need to buy a fan to cool it, if you dont want to purchase a second fan tip the tent on its side and buy a couple of those kitchen lights from b&q (around £10 each for those thick t8 fixtures) wire some plugs to them and your good to go shouldnt need any extraction and plants can get away with touching the bulbs.

If youve ran dwc before and your comfortable with it go with it, however you know what they say, soil is more forgiving. Would also save money on the ph pen/ec meter thats if your on a budget. Bear in mind those air pumps do make some noise and may turn out bieng louder than your fan.

Good luck with your grow mate, all the best and take care :tiphat:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Blazeee, love the fan in the box and filling it with expanding foam idea, I'll be doing that.

Growing in soil is my ideal but messing on with it is not practicable at the moment. I've not done a DWC before and I'll be doing a perpetual with different plants. The investment in PH/EC meters will be worth it.

:tiphat:

Blazeee

Veteran
No worries mate, forgot to mention small fan controller for around a tenner can dim your fan down abit to also reduce the noise, although you might need that fan running at full whack with the 600.

I ran dwc at my other grow at the end of last year, pulled 2 crops from it but i just wasnt getting the results i was getting in soil so i switched back to soil, You do get some crazy growth in the dwc however youve got to stay on top of everything and be checking that shit everyday, also make sure to check the root temps, i didnt do that and looking back that may have been where my problem lied. In the soil i dont even bother with the ph/ec meters i just freestyle it now, there sat there gathering dust lol.

Also try to sit your air pumps ontop of something to reduce the vibration, i had 2 8 site pumps at my other spot and the vibration/noise coming from them was louder than the 10 inch and 6 inch gorilla box fans i had running :laughing:

good luck mate :tiphat: