What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A/C SEER Ratings, Savings over time?

N

NonDa

Does anyone know or have experience with deciding on SEER ratings? Is it worth it to spend more and just get a Mitsubishi installed to warranty specs or get a cheaper system, tools, and install myself?

Mini-split SEER ratings seems to be all over the place. I have been looking at the smallest 9000btu systems, and the lowest I've seen so far for Mini-split systems is 14 SEER and then you have a the highest(Mitsubishi) at 30 SEER. I have also seen a LG for less that has 22 SEER and it operates below freezing unlike the Mitsubishi, which you have to buy an extra heater for.

queequeg152

Veteran
it usually takes like 10 years to justify the cost of a 2 stage system( assuming its installed properly).

total install is like 5 grand more typically.... as they merit the use zoning and proper ducting.

the VRF systems take alot longer. google the cost of the 4 ton Mitsubishi + the full size air handler. its like 20 grand.

unless electricity is stupid expensive... the vrf system will take a fucking long time to pay for itself. probably 20+ years over a typical 15 seer single condenser system.

but you dont buy the VRF system to save money... you do it because you want the best possible comfort and quietness possible.

if you are JUST interested in costs like myself... id just install a 15 seer york or what ever brand you like. tools for the install will cost like a grand at least if bought new.
but if you've no clue, and are not mechanically inclined, just hire a pro.

york is the one who sells those neat looking side discharge slim condensing units... they LOOK like a minisplit, but they are a cheap non VRF condensing unit. that is going to be your cheapest option.

N

NonDa

Thanks for the info. Yeah I think I'll not worry about the SEER. That Ideal Air mini-split with the precharged lines is starting to look better, but it has no heat pump, it only has a one year warranty on parts(which will break), and it is $1.3K.
I only need a 9000Btu unit, the Mitsubishi top of the line is $1.5K without install https://www.acwholesalers.com/Mitsu...ump/42698.ac?gclid=CIuq6OSj3McCFY17fgodyqwEag . I only need the connection part of the install, but if the pros wont do that only, I don't see it costing that much to mount the air handler and run the lines through the wall, then finish with the vacuum procedure and whatever else they do that I have no knowledge of at this time, but yeah I don't know. I better keep researching. I tried to find those slim condensing unit you mentioned but had a hard time. I wonder if I should just jury rig a window unit into the side of my room. Seems like it would be loud and leaky.

queequeg152

Veteran
Thanks for the info. Yeah I think I'll not worry about the SEER. That Ideal Air mini-split with the precharged lines is starting to look better, but it has no heat pump, it only has a one year warranty on parts(which will break), and it is $1.3K.
I only need a 9000Btu unit, the Mitsubishi top of the line is $1.5K without install https://www.acwholesalers.com/Mitsu...ump/42698.ac?gclid=CIuq6OSj3McCFY17fgodyqwEag . I only need the connection part of the install, but if the pros wont do that only, I don't see it costing that much to mount the air handler and run the lines through the wall, then finish with the vacuum procedure and whatever else they do that I have no knowledge of at this time, but yeah I don't know. I better keep researching. I tried to find those slim condensing unit you mentioned but had a hard time. I wonder if I should just jury rig a window unit into the side of my room. Seems like it would be loud and leaky.

oh wow, i didnt realize you wanted something so small.

yea a window unit would work fine... LG makes these 400 dollar 12kbtuh r410a units that are decent... but yea they are not nearly as efficient. less than 13 seer usually. friedrich makes very good units too, though more expensive.

installing a minisplit is trivial, much easier than a regular split system.
but if you are not comfortable with such things, dont do it.

these are what im talking about.

http://www.york.com/residential/products/air-conditioners/affinity/13-seer-unit-tchd.aspx

N

NonDa

perfect thanks for your reply. I think going with a mini-split may be better, but harder than a window unit.
My room is a passive intake right now and I want to seal it after my next run. It is a room within a room, so the window unit compressor would be in the house. I need to keep things somewhat quiet. I think I am up for the task.
Could I get an opinion on this unit?
http://www.minisplitwarehouse.com/product/aircon-9,000-btu-15-seer-mini-split-heat-pump-ac

Will it serve me well enough or do you think I'll have a lemon most likely?

Will 9,000btu be enough for 1600 watts air cooled HPS in Oregon summer?

queequeg152

Veteran
oh yea i forgot about that breeze thing. thats not a bad idea honestly.
i think grainger mentioned that thing in another thread.

regarding that no name unit... i honestly would just shell out for a big name japanese or korean unit with some history behind it.

you are going to have a hard time finding parts for a no name brand. and you are far less likely to find a pro who is familiar with a no name brand.

N

NonDa

I have already expanded my knowledge thanks to you guys. I think I might just stick with passive intake for now and save the money for a new big room later.