What's new

Coconut Oil - Would moist buds soaking in Coconut oil be shelf stable?

TerpeneDream

So I have fairly fresh buds soaking in Coconut Oil… Has been sitting in the dark for a couple days, room temperature…

I am trying to do an ultra slow extract…

Would this Mason Jar of coconut oil be safe to leave out in room temperature for a couple weeks?

The only think I think that could be an issue is the water content from the buds…

Thanks guys

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I think you will be OK for a while as long as the buds are covered with oil.
Just my initial thought when comparing to products such as pesto,which have a layer of oil on top of the product in the jar.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
You are right, prune. Low oxygen, low acid situation could cause some problems. Didnt think of that offhand.

Runt

I wouldn´t do that, sounds like a good way to either expose yourself to mold and toxins alt. botulism -not joking, never screw with anaerobic bacteria ;)

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Would probably be safer to heat the oil to 185F and pour over the buds inside a sterilized jar.

TerpeneDream

Thanks guys.

Would dry buds and coconut oil be safe?

I put the jar in the fridge last night thanks to y'all. I will soak for 2 weeks then heat to 180 via cookies, etc...

satva

Veteran
hey TerpeneDream, I've extracted the essence from dried herbs in cold pressed oils for years to make flower and herb infused cooking and massage oils. Prior to making Cannabutter, I soak the dried herb in oil for several of weeks in the Colorado sun un-refrigerated then add to Ghee/butter in a crock pot 180 degrees. I leave the dried herbs and flowers in a jar of oil basking in the Colorado sun for months without any mold issues. I sometimes use sage or basil fresh and you don't get mold as long as the sage/basil is completely covered in oil. If the stem is sticking out of the oil, you'll get mold.

After a month or so, moisture from the basil will sometimes allow mold/bacteria to grow even when refrigerated. Using Pesto as an example, if you top-up the jar with olive oil after each use, mold won't form in the jar. This is due to creating an air seal plus the anti-bacterial properties of most high quality cold-pressed cooking oils.

Pesto must be refrigerated. In addition to the moisture, the taste from the Chlorophyll from uncured marijuana is problematic. Properly curing the marijuana before starting the extracting process with oil and or butter is what I do. I start with a fine gold/green powder that's very dry when making butter for Cannabis fudge.

Oil expands in the sun, so leave some space between the level of the oil and the top of the jar. The jar will leak oil if the oil is too near the top of the jar.

Last edited:

TerpeneDream

Thanks satva…

We seem to share a similar climate :D

So would using dried basil/sage be best? I literally just harvested some white sage :)

Ok, so next time I will use cured bud. But!, I want the fresh terpene oils..

Any suggestions on how to use fresh herb?

I want to share burying this medical oil (coconut and ghee) for a year or two in the ground.

Old school tradition is where it's at...

satva

Veteran
"but, I want fresh terpene oils"
fully emerge the fresh herb/flower/leaf in oil in a glass jar. Set jar in the full sun. I leave fresh herb covered in oil in a jar outside, for over two weeks in the summer.

You can do this in a crock pot, but the sun / heat will draw out the fresh terpenes. You see when the flowers/leaf begins to decompose into the oil. Prior to this the fresh terpenes should be in the oil. You can either cook the hrb oil at~ 180 degrees, or strain the herb out of the oil, and use the oil. I add the oil and herb into ghee, and cook at ~ 180 degrees for 6 - 8 hours, then strain and discard the herb. I then add chocolate, and sometimes almond meal to thicken the mixture. Chocolate Thai, Destroyer Fudge and so on. Too much oil and fudge won't set.

Refrigerate the fudge and use as directed..............

"would dried basil/sage be best"

This year i' using dried sage. Fresh sage will mold, if you leave it too long un-refrigerated. Sage should be okay in oil for 2 weeks in the Colorado sun. The essential oils come out of basil as it dries. Oregano and thyme maintain their essential oils when dry, they're best dry as you get more intensity from oregano when they're dried. Italians make pesto fresh basil in oil. That's the way it is, that's the way its always been!

I want to share burying this medical oil (coconut and ghee) for a year or two in the ground.

In your burial plan, I'd just use coconut oil - no ghee. No ghee. The refrigerator would be best. Once you remove the herb you can store oil, sealed in glass in a cool dark place, like a pantry / basement cabinet.

Sativa terpenes change during a 3- 5 month cure. I've always preferred the high from long cured sativas. One of the main differences I notice is the high seems to last longer and is more complex from a long flowering sativa + 14 - 16 weeks, after a long cure. Long flowering, long cure = long duration high. Destroyer high will last 3 - 4 hours. Destroyer fudge at night, and I sometimes wake up high. Much smoother high and longer lasting high from Destroyer Fudge than Destroyer flowers.

The fresh terpenes are usually less complex and dense, but sweeter and clearer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts