What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will Ascorbic Acid affect microbes in soil?

Does anyone know if ascorbic acid will affect the microbes in my los pots? I started using ascorbic acid to get rid of chloramine in my tap water.

Also, when I add the ascorbic acid the ph in my water rises to above 8.5. Will that be an issue?

Granger2

Veteran
Does anyone know if ascorbic acid will affect the microbes in my los pots? I started using ascorbic acid to get rid of chloramine in my tap water.

Also, when I add the ascorbic acid the ph in my water rises to above 8.5. Will that be an issue?
Capt,
You sure it rises? It should lower pH since it's an acid. A pH change will effect the microherd, but Ascorbic acid [from Jolly Ol' Mr. Orange Juice!] should benefit the herd. The effect of changing the pH may be good or bad, but I'm willing to bet that it would just be different, and still very beneficial. Good luck. -granger

Capt,
You sure it rises? It should lower pH since it's an acid. A pH change will effect the microherd, but Ascorbic acid [from Jolly Ol' Mr. Orange Juice!] should benefit the herd. The effect of changing the pH may be good or bad, but I'm willing to bet that it would just be different, and still very beneficial. Good luck. -granger
Thanks for the info! i know it's supposed to lower the ph, but the ph went from 7 to 8.5 after I put a 1/3 of a vitamin c tablet. How long do you wait to use the water after applying absorbic acid?

Granger2

Veteran
I don't use Ascorbic acid. You can buy the crystals. easier to deal with than tablets. Are you sure it's ascorbic acid and not something like Calcium Ascorbate? What you need is Ascorbic acid crystals, available in the canning section or from the brew store or health food store. -granger

I don't use Ascorbic acid. You can buy the crystals. easier to deal with than tablets. Are you sure it's ascorbic acid and not something like Calcium Ascorbate? What you need is Ascorbic acid crystals, available in the canning section or from the brew store or health food store. -granger
i just got 2.2lbs of ascorbic acid (powder). I used the tablets the other day because I hadn't received my order. Do you know how long I have to wait after applying it to the water? I can't seem to find any info on that.

Granger2

Veteran
I wouldn't think you'd have wait long. Like an hour? I use citric acid, I don't wait at all. Seems to be OK. -granger