What's new

1990 Super Skunk, Garlic Bud, and Mendocino Joe's Skunk

Kush_Kloud

Hi, icmag family! I need some information about these strains (pictures, smoke reports), also I need to find out if these old school strains are still around or not, so I can stop searching if they are. I'm posting this thread because I would like to know about and optain these stinky skunky strains for breeding purposes. Please help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

KK

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Mendo Joe Skunk - I've seen a few people mention old seeds of this over the years, never seen a picture or really say they had actual plants of this strain. Insane Seed Posse's Cantaloupe Skunk is supposedly Mendo Joe's skunk, who really knows if it true or just some B.S story, it's said to smell like cantaloupe's.

Garlic Bud - to the best of my knowledge this one doesn't exist any more, I dont know of any strains still around that contain these genetics, I suppose there could be some non internet old head out there still running this strain somewhere but I have never heard of anyone still cultivating this strain.

1990's Super Skunk - another one I've never really heard of or seen any one have. The best info I could offer on this one is that the old Mass Super Skunk clone is still around, it's an early 9-0the mother of ECSD. It's very rare cut these days, not a whole lot of info out there about it, it's supposed to not be stinky. Good luck finding it, I've only seen a handful of people run this strain.

Super Skunk is an intriguing strain to me, there is not a whole lot of information out there about it even though sensi is still making it. I have seen some reports over the years that suggest certain pheno's smell like a skunk, but I can say I have seen more reports saying it sucks and has a fruity smell so who really knows.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I was running a pheno of Super Skunk in the mid-late 90's from Sensi stock. Wasn't very skunky at all.

Which is on point with what Sam S. says about the lines being worked more towards the sweet side of things.

Mendo420 has a monster Super Skunk plant in an 800 this year. Soon in his thread he should be reporting on what it's like in flower. Sweet or skunky?, I'm sure he'll let us know.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Bring back '90, the way I remember it

tumblr_nrkw2jFPkX1s2heiro2_500.gif

mellowfellow

Tomoka Smoka
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They were offering the shiva shanti as freebies a while back on the bay. Scored a 5 pack with one of my orders. Only thing that I know of that has garlic bud in it.

Kush_Kloud

Thanks everyone for your comments and @HidingInTheHaze all I know is that Super Skunk was released in 1990 and that it's a cross of Neville's Maple leaf selection which he called Afghan T and Samskunkmans Skunk#1. Neville said on another fourm that Afghan T is the true skunk archetype. He said Afghan T is more skunky than Sams old road kill skunk with slight fruity undertones. Also from the same selection of maple leaf came another called Afghan S which Neville said was more like today's fruity skunk#1. If only Neville crossed his Afghan T with a old 1970s skunk with that road kill smell, that really would be a Super Skunk.
This is why I'm looking for some vintage 1990 Super Skunk seeds so I could work it towards the Afghan T side.

Kush Kloud

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Thanks everyone for your comments and @HidingInTheHaze all I know is that Super Skunk was released in 1990 and that it's a cross of Neville's Maple leaf selection which he called Afghan T and Samskunkmans Skunk#1. Neville said on another fourm that Afghan T is the true skunk archetype. He said Afghan T is more skunky than Sams old road kill skunk with slight fruity undertones. Also from the same selection of maple leaf came another called Afghan S which Neville said was more like today's fruity skunk#1. If only Neville crossed his Afghan T with a old 1970s skunk with that road kill smell, that really would be a Super Skunk.
This is why I'm looking for some vintage 1990 Super Skunk seeds so I could work it towards the Afghan T side.

Kush Kloud

Interesting info.

Since Super Skunk is the mother of ECSD I always thought there had to be some serious stink in there somewhere. Im gonna grab a pack of super skunk next time I order and see what's in there.

Honestly I have my doubts that "Skunk #1" was ever stinky like a skunk, if you take a look at old SSSC ans Sacred Seed catalogs there is not one mention of Skunk #1 being stinky, it has been sold as a sweet strain since day 1. This is why I think the old myth that Skunk #1 was RKS is total bullshit.

I have also seen reports of Sensi's Shiva smelling skunky, but I dont even see how thats possible from a Skunk1 x NL hybrid.

Anyways good luck on your search.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
From what we had around 93-94 the Sensi Shiva Shanti and Super Skunk was nothing spectacular- there was no onion or garlic smell on the plants we grew out from seed. Indoors with EJ. Decent nose, nothing dank about it though. Very good high. It was really good herb but not superb. Sure some others had better luck in their findings. Good luck I hope what you find what you're looking for, it sounds good :)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Interesting info.

Since Super Skunk is the mother of ECSD I always thought there had to be some serious stink in there somewhere. Im gonna grab a pack of super skunk next time I order and see what's in there.

Honestly I have my doubts that "Skunk #1" was ever stinky like a skunk, if you take a look at old SSSC ans Sacred Seed catalogs there is not one mention of Skunk #1 being stinky, it has been sold as a sweet strain since day 1. This is why I think the old myth that Skunk #1 was RKS is total bullshit.

I have also seen reports of Sensi's Shiva smelling skunky, but I dont even see how thats possible from a Skunk1 x NL hybrid.

Anyways good luck on your search.

It was Skunk #1. Sam has stated many times he bred the stank out because he favored the sweet skunks. I have grown it, it was real, it was Skunk #1.

Shiva stinks pretty hard but different from SK1.

Def try the super skunk man, its really nice cannabis. A little more finicky than SK1 but worth it IMHO.

Best!

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
It was Skunk #1. Sam has stated many times he bred the stank out because he favored the sweet skunks. I have grown it, it was real, it was Skunk #1.

Shiva stinks pretty hard but different from SK1.

Def try the super skunk man, its really nice cannabis. A little more finicky than SK1 but worth it IMHO.

Best!

So you bought skunk #1 seeds and found a dead skunk in the road smelling plant? Or you are just going by what Sam S said?

What year was it? Was it SSSC or Sacred Seeds Skunk#1?

Also, you've grown Super Skunk? Could you elaborate on the smell a bit?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

Kush Kloud

G`day KK

Go back and refresh your memory re what Nevil wrote .
He never mentions the term RKS .

Also as Nevil bought his Skunk seeds from Sam in Holland. Would they not already have had the Skunk stank bred out of them ?
The selections on a scale of 1000s , where done in Holland .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Latest posts

Latest posts