What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

moringa as an organic super supplement?

idiit

Veteran
moringa is high in trace mineral content and many other nutrients. it is considered a super food as a healthy nutritional supplement. I wondered, well...... why not throw some into some organic soil and let the microherd chelate away and see how the cannabis plants do. :)

here's a brief article on why moringa is considered to be one the most nutritional substances :

All About Moringa: The Uber Nutritious Superfood That Could Combat Malnutrition
Moringa leaves are highly nutritious and are rich in vitamins K, A, C, B6,Manganese, Magnesium, Riboflavin, Calcium, Thiamin, Potassium, Iron, Protein and Niacin. Unlike traditional multivitamins, the nutrients found in moringa are readily absorbed into the body, providing an abundance of naturally occurring nutrients.
Moringa also contains all 8 essential amino acids making it one of the few plants that provide a complete protein source.
It is rich in flavonoids, including Quercetin, Kaempferol, Beta-Sitosterol, Caffeoylquinic acid and Zeatin.
Zeatin contains powerful anti-aging properties. No plant has a greater abundance of zeatin than the moringa plant. In fact, moringa has ……several thousand times more zeatin than any other known plan!
Some of the possible BENEFITS of the Moringa Leaf:

• Boosts the natural defenses of the body
  • Nourishes the brain and eyes
  • Helps regulate a healthy metabolism
  • Promotes healthy cell structure
  • Promotes healthy cholesterol levels
  • Supports healthy function of the liver and the kidneys
  • Beautifies the skin
  • Acts as a natural antbiotic
  • Increases energy
  • Lowers blood sugar levels
  • Aids in proper digestion
  • Contains powerful atioxidants that reduce the risk of tumors and the effects of aging
  • Possesses strong ant-inflammatory properties
  • Promotes a healthy circulatory system
  • Supports the normal sugar levels
  • Helps detoxify the body
  • Eeffective against nervous system disorders including normal and migraine headaches
  • Gives a feeling of general wellness
http://www.moringa.rubiconhealth.org/

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natur...ous-superfood-that-could-combat-malnutrition/

European Journal of Agriculture and Forestry Research Vol.1, No.1, pp. 17-25, September 2013 Published by European Centre for Research Training and Development UK (www.ea-journals.org)
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]MORINGA [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](MORINGA OLEIFERA [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]LAM.) LEAVES EFFECT ON SOIL PH AND GARDEN EGG (SOLANUM AETHIOPICUM L.) YIELD IN TWO NIGERIA AGRO-ECOLOGIES
Utietiang L. Undie
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1*, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Michael A. Kekong[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]& Tom O. Ojikpong[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1, 2, 3 Faculty of Agriculture, Cross River University of Technology, Obubra, Nigeria
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The results obtained showed that all rates of the manure reduced the soil pH within 30 days after incorporation in both years and locations. At 60 days after application, and up to 140 days after incorporation, all manure rates increased the pH in both locations and years. The control, however, showed a steady pH decrease up to 140 days after incorporation. All manural rates significantly (P<0.05) increased the yield of the garden egg varieties over the control.

Moringa
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman].has been reported to possess wide adaptations and high nutrients composition in its biomass (Bosch, 2004). Our objective was to evaluate the efficacy of [/FONT][/FONT]Moringa [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]leaves for soil pH regulation, soil fertility maintenance ....
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
http://www.eajournals.org/wp-conten...um-L.-Yield-in-Two-Nigeria-Agro-Ecologies.pdf

edited to add:

Table 2: Nutrient composition of [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Moringa [/FONT][/FONT]leaves in Makurdi and Obubra in 2009 and 2010 [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Location [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]N
(%)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]P
(%)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]K
(%)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Ca
(%)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]M
(%)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Na
(%)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Org. C
(%)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]C:N [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Makurdi [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]4.10 n[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1.21 p [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1.71 k [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]13.6 ca[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]0.12 m[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2.19 na [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]10.8 organic c [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2.6 c:n [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Obubra [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]4.02 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1.18 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1.80 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]12.4 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]0.11 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1.16 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]11.1 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2.8 [/FONT][/FONT]

idiit

Veteran
There are a few research studies to evaluate the use of Moringa oleifera foliage as
green manure to improve the nutrient status of an impoverished soil in Nigeria. The main objective of this research was to determine nutrient release from incorporated leaves of Moringa oleifera and their effects on the performance of maize

Treatment
(Moringa)
%N %
Ca
%
Mg
Cu (mg/100g)
Fe (mg/100g) %
K
P (mg/100g)
Dry 1.850 n 4.248 ca 10.56 mg 0.967 cu 0.248cu 0.1661 fe 0.5123 pFresh 3.50 2.950 6.34 0. 628 0.1493 0.0962 0.4450
Table 2: Chemical properties of the dry and fresh Moringa leaves

After six weeks of incubation, the potted soil samples were used to grow maize to monitor the effects of the different rates of
moringa leaf incorporation on growth of the plant

Thirty blue plastic buckets (with lids), each containing 2 kg of
soil were arranged in the laboratory in the batches of ten buckets per replicate. The experiment was laid out in a completely
randomised design (CRD) with three replications. The fresh and dry Moringa leaves were incorporated into the potted soil at the
rates of 0, 50, 100 and 150 g, moistened and covered loosely with the lids to allow aeration. Treated soils were constantly kept
moist, but not waterlogged, throughout the experimental period which lasted for six weeks
looks like 150 gr. ( highest application rate) / 5 gl. bucket my comment
Table 3 shows the result of the physical properties of the incubated soil after six weeks of the incorporation of the dry and fresh
moringa leaves. There were no significant differences (p > 0.05) in the percentage clay and sand contents of the soil except
percentage silt. However, the texture of the soil remained sandy-loam. Table 4 shows the chemical properties of the soil/moringa
mixtures six weeks after incubation. There were significant increases (p < 0.05) in the soil pH, organic matter content, total N,
cation exchange capacity (CEC) and available P. The soil media treated with dry moringa leaves experienced higher increases of
the above properties than those treated with fresh moringa leaves. The increments were as follows: for pH (from 7.2 to 8.5for dry
leaves and 6.8 to 6.9 for fresh leaves), % organic matter (from 2.42% to 3.74% for dry leaves and 1.29% to 1.69% for fresh
leaves), total nitrogen (from 0.135% to 0.201% for dry leaves and 0.084% to 0.1125% for fresh leaves ), CEC (from 8.33 to 11.67
for dry leaves and 6.00 to 8.33 for fresh leaves) and available P (from 30.78 ppm to 45.70 ppm for dry leaves and 23. 01 ppm to
29.23 ppm for fresh leaves). There were no significant differences (p > 0.05) in the exchangeable bases (K, Ca, Mg and Na) and
base saturation. There were no traces of aluminium in the media.

http://theijst.com/april2014/61.ST1404-133.pdf

lots of charts that didn't copy and paste well.

idiit

Veteran
In the control plots, quite a number of insects were observed on the leaves of the S. melongina stands. Some were adult insects while some were in form of caterpillars feeding on the leaves of the S. melongena stands leaving behind multiple perforations on the plants which invariably reduced the photosynthetic ability of the affected plants and ultimately the yield. Conversely, in the areas that received foliar application and the decoction from the Moringa barks/cut branches, the presence of the insects were not observed. This perhaps lends credence to the report that the plant has insecticidal properties.
Recent studies conducted on the effect of M. oleafera extracts on the growth performance of Telferia occidentalis (Anyaegbu et al., 2013), showed that M. oleifera extracts increased significantly the yield and yield components of T. occidentalis. The above results confirmed the name “fertility plant” being given to Moringa plants. A report by FAO (2010) suggest that the use of organic fertilizer derived from Moringa seed processed with the right procedure can increase the density and richness of indigenous invertebrates, specialized endangered soil species, beneficial arthropods, earthworms, symbionts and microbes. The highest fruit yield being recorded from garden egg stands treated with Moringa leaf extract applied in combination with NPK fertilizer (20:10;10) at the rate of 100 kg ha -1 is an indication that the leaf extract of Moringa has a blending effect on the NPK fertilizer applied perhaps by ameliorating the soil as shown in Tables 5 and 6. Jason (2013) reported that Moringa leaf extract contains a plant growth hormone, called Zeatin. Zeatin has been reported to increase yields by 25 to 30% for nearly any crop. Jason (2013) recommended that the foliar spray should be used in addition to a balanced nutritional fertilizer program containing NPK and minerals.
Generally, M. oleifera has been reported by many authors (Caceres, 1999; Zarkales et al., 1995; Palada, 1996) as growth enhancer. Significant yield increases had also been reported in pea nut, soy beans, sorghum and tomato with foliar application of Moringa leaf extracts
http://sciencewebpublishing.net/jacr/archive/2014/May/pdf/Ozobia.pdf

idiit

Veteran
The first naturally occurring cytokinin was isolated from corn in 1961 by Miller (Miller, 1961). It was later called zeatin. Almost simultaneous with Miller Letham published a report on zeatin as a factor inducing cell division and later described its chemical properties (Letham, 1963). It is Miller and Letham that are credited with the simultaneous discovery of zeatin. Since that time, many more naturally occurring cytokinins have been isolated and the compound is ubiquitous to all plant species in one form or another

Cytokinin Functions
A list of some of the known physiological effects caused by cytokinins are listed below. The response will vary depending on the type of cytokinin and plant species (Davies, 1995; Mauseth, 1991; Raven, 1992; Salisbury and Ross, 1992).
•Stimulates cell division.

•Stimulates morphogenesis (shoot initiation/bud formation) in tissue culture.

•Stimulates the growth of lateral buds-release of apical dominance.

•Stimulates leaf expansion resulting from cell enlargement.

•May enhance stomatal opening in some species.

•Promotes the conversion of etioplasts into chloroplasts via stimulation of chlorophyll synthesis

http://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12693385-cytokinin-a-plant-hormone-coconut-water-and-corn-sst

Cytokinins (CK) are a class of plant growth substances (phytohormones) that promote cell division, or cytokinesis, in plant roots and shoots. They are involved primarily in cell growth and differentiation, but also affect apical dominance, axillary bud growth, and leaf senescence

Because cytokinin promotes plant cell division and growth, produce farmers use it to increase crops. One study found that applying cytokinin to cotton seedlings led to a 5–10% yield increase under drought conditions.[12]

Cytokinins have recently been found to play a role in plant pathogenesis. For example, cytokinins have been described to induce resistance against Pseudomonas syringae in Arabidopsis thaliana[13] and Nicotiana tabacum.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokinin

I have a moringa growing :) Sowed the seed this spring.
They grow SUPER FAST, but dont like cold temps at all, like 60's F
is a no no. She is a hell of a water drinker too.

Can be a bit moody but over all.. damn easy tree to grow.
Just need nice draining soil, lots of nutes, and lots and lots of water.

Attachments

• P7300148.jpg
    P7300148.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 35

idiit

Veteran
^ cool.

the more I read on the health benefits of moringa ( been used for hundreds/thousands of years) the more i'm impressed. got my moringa powdered leaves in today. am taking as a supplement for me and giving it to my dog ( she has ljint/tendon/ligament issues and so do I)

it's got incredible benefits if you bother to research.

I just gave it to 5 plants in veg. cycle as a test. will be a while before it chelates and is available to my little gals.

this moringa is worth investigating imo.

idiit

Veteran
i'm using rols and a few of my potted gals had some issues. less than 2 weeks after first moringa supplements the issues are resolved on fresh green growth areas. very positive results so far very early in the testing stage.

the calcium ratios are perfect for Albrecht enthusiasts. the trace minerals content in organic as opposed to rock minerals bodes well for fast availability.

the presence of growth hormones, some of which are present at 1000/1 ratio greater than an other organic source are extremely promising.

the anti-aging/rejuvenation properties of zeatin ( Asian women use it to keep young looking) bode promising for revitalizing older seed stock and clones that have lost their zip. it also might be promising in returning vigor to some some older cuts and excessively inbred strain seedstock. best source of zeatin anywhere. by far.

I need some techy types to get into this thread and do analysis on the different aspects from a technical/scientific expertise take.

the data is there in some of the scientific studies links I posted above.

i'm getting ready to test moringa leaf as a cloning stimulant next on cuts I've been rooting out for some time now to preserve some of my keeper phenos over the last year/years..

there is already one company selling moringa as a rooting enabler.

https://www.healingmoringatree.com/moringa-rooting-stimulator.html

B

bigganjabud

On my last forum a guy shiljit powder it worked(didnt kill anything for atleast 3 days)

It was a good try

This has a lot more potential

JACKBAYBEH

Hey idiit! Hope you are doing well my man.
Thanks for putting this info up. It's the first I have heard of moringa.
I'm going to order some moringa powder and try it out on me and my plants. :tiphat:

all reasons why I bought a pack of about 200-300 moringa seeds.

These babies are REALLY REALLY REALLY!!!! Easy to Germinate and grow.

Mine was planted in April this year, 5 months ago, and it almost has 2x 1inch trunks.
I have not harvested anything from it though, just letting it grow up nice.

Im planning on plopping the moringa I have that is in a 3gal fabric pot, straight
into an greenhouse aquaponic setup, this way can have her forever pretty much in climates where this plant cant grow naturally, cold climates.

BoldAsLove

Veteran
Thanks for sharing idiit. Cool plant.

Sounds very promising! One thing I'm a little concerned about is the ratio of cytokinins:auxins in it. Multi thousand times the amount of Zeatin (cytokinin) found in other plants is the part that makes me wonder. Perhaps the auxin level is high also, but if not, I believe a high cytokinin:auxin ratio promotes shoot growth as opposed to root growth, but how did your rooting experiment work out? This would probably benefit container growers though, by encouraging shoot growth even if the plant has filled the container with roots. Should also promote a more branchy, lateral growth (maybe nice for NLD). This is all assuming the ratio gets changed by the moringa though. I wish there was a mention of the auxin levels somewhere..

monroe212

Yeah very true! Moringa is considered to be one of the most nutritional substances. It is also considered as a superfood by its ability to maintain high nutritional value. The health benefits of moringa make it unavoidable to consider it as a superfood. The organic soil in which they are cultivated yield them with a huge amount of nutrition. Not just moringa, there are a lot of organic superfoods available out there which has got high nutrition value. I used to buy all kinds of certified organic food products from Giddy Yoyo in Canada for my cooking purposes. Healthy eating results in a healthy life.

SurfdOut

Veteran
Got one growing in my yard, the Philipinos have them planted all over Hawaii, only problem is they dont produce very much biomass.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Haven't used it, but it sounds good. I'm following along. It's nice to know what works. :)

Got one growing in my yard, the Philipinos have them planted all over Hawaii, only problem is they dont produce very much biomass.

at same measures as Kelp or Neem... or Comfrey..

1tbsp of dried up leaves per gallon of water and bubbled
for 24-36 hours, isnt really that much required biomass :p

Great thing about these plants are, is that they are so easily germinated and grown, you can plant them right next to each other
and have a nice patch. I have mine still in the 1gallon
smart pot.

she drinks HELLA WATER!!! If I dont just dunk her roots in water
every other day AT LEAST, she starts getting pissy.

Im not sure how far the roots go down with this plant..
but id only assume since its a bio accumulator type plant that
its tap root goes down pretty far like comfrey.

If anything else, its a damn fun plant to grow for how fast they grow.