What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Berry Bomb Autos - Outdoor

Dirk907

Howdy!

Mostly out of curiosity, I ran three auto-flowering plants outside this season. Here in Alaska it can be tough to pull off an outdoor grow - this got me thinking that autos might be the ticket. Definitely going to try light deprivation with a hoop structure and photo-period plants, but this season I only had time for the autos.

I got some Berry Bomb Autos from Bomb Seeds and popped three of the five beans some time mid-May. Drilled some 5 gallon buckets, filled 'em with Happy Frog soil, and then planted the seedlings after they were about a week old. Then they went outside under a visqueen covered hut to keep them out of the rain.

Here they are as they started their life:
picture.php

Here they are mid/late June:
picture.php

I have a bunch more photos that I want to post, but I just realized that I haven't pulled them off my camera yet, Doh! I'll set aside some time this weekend to post more.

:tiphat:

Dirk907

Kmind - Thank you. I bet that picture from June is just before they started to flower, so add a couple inches for height prior to flower. I wasn't really paying any attention to when the branching went asymetrical.

Aridbud - Thanks. I appreciate the compliment coming from an auto guru.

Angel - They were under the cover for 90% of their life. I moved them back behind the house for a couple days when family was in town visiting, and they got brought inside for a couple nights when we had some bad wind. Other than that I left them there.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice progression & pics! They filled out superbly. Yep, in 5 gallon containers...roots take up the space.
Great job!

iTarzan

That turned out great. It finished in Alaska too.

Is it sticky? What does it smell like.

Looks like curiosity paid off.

Did you use fertilizer? Or was water enough with Happy Frog?

Dirk907

Everything is dried and sitting in a giant glass jar at 61% RH. Total dry weight came to 109 grams. Smoked dry, but not cured - the effect is mild and relaxing, but kind of lethargic. Taste isn't there yet, it's bad. Can't wait to try it after some curing.

These plants weren't given very much attention at all (watered twice a week or so with straight tap water, nutes only given four times or so, no training/pruning, and damn near 24 hour sunlight through 6mil poly, maybe 4-7 hours of direct sunlight per day). It seems to me that I could have gotten these plants to produce a lot more. Anyone with some autoflower experience able to provide some input regarding auto yields?

Regardless, I had a lot of fun with these plants and they smelled sooo good while they were flowering.

Dirk

Dirk907

Thanks Aridbud. It sure was fun watching them grow "automatically"

Tarzan - Yep, an autoflower that finished in Alaska with no tarps to hassle with! It's very sticky, plenty of finger hash! Alive it smelled very sweet, not like berries, but fruity for sure. It wasn't a pungent smell - very soft, but very noticeable. I added mild strength bloom ferts to my water once the buds started filling out. When I noticed leaf tips starting to burn, I stopped the nutes completely and let them ride. To be honest, they only way I'd use Happy Frog again is if I cut it with 30%-50% chunky perlite and maybe peat or coco. The stuff just holds so much water and drained so slow. These plants didn't get a proper flush because I got impatient with the soil... Only about 4 gallons of water ran through each bucket, was shooting for 10 gallons of water per bucket.

bf80255

Damn Dirk! fantastic looking autos! they got pretty tall and frosty didnt they?
howd the bud smoke out?

Dirk907

Yep, probably considered more of a hoop house than a greenhouse, as the ends are open. Wanted the wind, but no rain, so I used 20' rebar (smallest diameter I could find) to create it. Stuck about a foot of one end in the ground then stuck the other end in the ground 10' away to create the hoop. I put up enough hoops for a 10' x 10' footprint then covered with poly.

Dirk907

Thanks bf, they sure did! The tallest one was just about 5 feet tall or so (6' minus the bucket) - taller than I was anticipating. Still curing, will be back with a report soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts