What's new

Windows 10 Is Watching (& Logging) Everything

idiit

Veteran
Using Windows 10? Microsoft Is Watching

By Lauren Walker 8/1/15 at 10:06 AM
More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft’s Windows 10 after its global launch on Wednesday, but it’s unclear how many of their users read the company’s Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked away in the 45 pages’ worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.
From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information—name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.
Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected,”
emphasis mine.

more at the newsweek ( that's right; msm newsweek) article:

http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

color me conspiracy nut. :)

so, who is the tin foil hat wearing wacko now?

idiit

Veteran
You wrote " Windows 10 isn't doing the spying, it's the Microsoft cloud based user system."

No, it's the entire fuster cluck that is monitoring you. And without cloud, it still monitors and passes on your information.

And there are plenty of back doors for your alphabet agency servants to use to open your entire platform up to their eyes. All of the major players are compromised, entirely.

At this point LINUX or UNIX is about all we have as a more secure alternative.

I might add that there are enough computing resources in modern network attached resources, printers, WiFi APs and NAS storage, to act as very effective network sniffers behind your firewall. It only takes one compromised device behind your firewall to ruin your day.
comment section here: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...stream-windows-10-watching-logging-everything

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it would be pretty funny if suddenly ALL of the principles ( and their families )of microsofts personal information was spread across the net. But then again I think the same thing should happen with these police that have a thing for violence

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
some stuff can be shut off I believe.. I am not upgrading any time soon...just getting to 8.1 wasa nightmare with crashes and interrupted downloads and such...no thanks...yeehaw

DemonTrich

Veteran
I haven't upgraded yet. not sure if I will considering this bs. im sure its already been happening (spying into our computers from agencies). for years now.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I haven't upgraded yet. not sure if I will considering this bs. im sure its already been happening (spying into our computers from agencies). for years now.

This is exactly right. As I understand it Google has every search query everyone has ever made with Google saved somewhere. The intent, at least what appears to be the intent, is to use that info to tailor your online experience more towards things you're interested in. In the wrong hands however such information can be quite dangerous.

CodeGreen99

Just glancing the toker's den this week, and threads created by members and moderators alike it's kind of strange to see that many of you just want the rest of us to be afraid. Afraid of everything! It reminds me of the 5PM news really. Don't go to bed without your daily dose of fear.

Honestly though in relation to tech topics like this one - from what I've read in multiple threads across the board there are a few people around here that have good intentions and mean well in starting these threads but they aren't qualified to give advice. Seriously some of it just down right dangerous.

If you don't have a technical background why would you run your mouth and steer someone wrong?

S

spliphy

Who knows it all?

Who knows it all?

Just glancing the toker's den this week, and threads created by members and moderators alike it's kind of strange to see that many of you just want the rest of us to be afraid. Afraid of everything! It reminds me of the 5PM news really. Don't go to bed without your daily dose of fear.

Honestly though in relation to tech topics like this one - from what I've read in multiple threads across the board there are a few people around here that have good intentions and mean well in starting these threads but they aren't qualified to give advice. Seriously some of it just down right dangerous.

If you don't have a technical background why would you run your mouth and steer someone wrong?

Many folks think they know communication technologies and have even been trained in them, but even they can get fooled or hacked. However, I agree with you about the fear mongering by the media, it sure keeps the ratings up which spells revenue from advertisers.

I certainly hope no one visits these boards for guidance other than growing or related issues, and then with a pinch of salt. Shouldn't individuals learn the evaluate arguments and think critically?

As I understand it, and speaking as a recent business graduate where most everything is linked to information technologies, most of these metrics are for competitive advantage. Again, as I understand it, these metrics can be used in multiple ways, one being reacting to trends. Information is powerful to make money better than the competition.

I am not saying that such technology is safe from possible nefarious control but I don't believe this is happening at all presently. Its just a greedy scramble for green (and I am not talking about the herb).

Last edited:
S

spliphy

business is not inherently evil

business is not inherently evil

Just to clarify: not all business folks are in a mad dash to separate your money from your pocket, they just want to feed their families like all the rest of us. Many traders of services or commodities enjoy facilitating others needs and make a legitimate living from this practice.

Ultimately, I don't know the answer fully to the practices of informational technologies but think analysis and discussion is wise since we are all stakeholders in our online activities and communities.

angelgoob

1)Using Mint Linux 17.

2)Tin foils hats are antennas.

3) You will die someday if they don't rebuild you with pig hearts and rat ears and purpoise brains, and baby parts.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Personally I'm reluctant to go the Windows 10 route because they're trying to make the computer experience more like using a smart phone. They were doing this with Windows 8 and 8.1 as well. So right now I'm sticking with Windows 7. It does everything I need it to it looks, feels and performs the way I've become accustomed to. I really hate that eventually I'll be forced to go the Windows 10 route simply because programmers and parts manufacturers will eventually stop supporting it just like they did with XP.

Its not going to be just the operating system either. The so called "experts" that predict technology trends are saying the PC as we know it is going away and being replace more by smart phone, Smart TV's and game consoles. They say in as little as 5 years you can expect to see cpu's hard wired into motherboards and graphics integrated into the CPU itself. We'll lose the ability to pick and choose and custom build our pc's ourselves. Which is a freedom I've enjoyed since the 90's