What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calcium chloride?

Mr.Mist

I've read not to use calcium chloride, many times, but I've never been able to find any claims about why..
Can someone please inform me, or throw me a link to a thread?

Sylvester1

Only a very few plants need chloride. Otherwise, it just adds to the "saltiness" of the feed water, meaning the plant has to work uphill against an osmotic gradient. There are better forms of calcium, ones that contain other anions that the plant can use- calcium nitrate, for example, or calcium sulfate, just as two examples.

But, if you don't want the nitrogen for whatever reason, then you'd avoid calcium nitrate. And so on.

Mr.Mist

Only a very few plants need chloride. Otherwise, it just adds to the "saltiness" of the feed water, meaning the plant has to work uphill against an osmotic gradient. There are better forms of calcium, ones that contain other anions that the plant can use- calcium nitrate, for example, or calcium sulfate, just as two examples.

But, if you don't want the nitrogen for whatever reason, then you'd avoid calcium nitrate. And so on.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

I can't help but wonder if I can use a calcium chloride product like Plant Amp by CES and just bubble it over night, like people do with tap water, to get rid of the chloride/chloramine?
CES state on their website that Plant Amp will heavily drop the pH and slowly rise over the next 24 hours, so bubbling it over night seems preferable anyway.

Mr.Mist

Bubbling won't get rid of chloramines. Calcium chloride will kill your microherd. -granger

Thank you, Granger, that's what I was afraid of..
If I use a "Carbon Dechlorinator Charcoal Sediment Filter" will it get rid of the chlorine, and let the calcium pass through?

This is the kind of product I'm referring to:
https://www.monstergardens.com/Boog...lter-(Not-Reverse-Osmosis)?filter_name=filter

And if not what kinds of calcium products are safe to use with plants and microbes?
I'd prefer not to use calcium nitrates..

Also, do know the ratio between calcium and sulphur in CaSO4?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
actually its moderately soluable ,but there is peeps selling soluable gypsum too..kelp4less.com being one.solution grade..yeehaw

Granger2

Veteran
Yeah, these look good. I've got these [different brand] on my 2 outdoor faucets. Says it uses KDF-85 carbon, which is what I have in my room [Small Boy Filter.] And per gal. cost is peanuts.

No, it won't remove the Cl portion of the CaCl2, and leave the Ca. Not the only, but I've had luck with SaferGro Biomin Calcium, and their other trace mins. Good products, OMRI. Good luck. -granger

Asslover

Veteran
I've read not to use calcium chloride, many times, but I've never been able to find any claims about why..
Can someone please inform me, or throw me a link to a thread?

Out of curiosity (because i believe that multiple sources of readily available calcium is essential, Cal Chloride included) could you post a link to where it is said to avoid C.Chloride? Thanks :tiphat:

Mr.Mist

Yeah, these look good. I've got these [different brand] on my 2 outdoor faucets. Says it uses KDF-85 carbon, which is what I have in my room [Small Boy Filter.] And per gal. cost is peanuts.

No, it won't remove the Cl portion of the CaCl2, and leave the Ca. Not the only, but I've had luck with SaferGro Biomin Calcium, and their other trace mins. Good products, OMRI. Good luck. -granger

SaferGro Biomin Calcium seems like calcium nitrate, with aminos?
It contains 1% N and 5% Ca, just like calimagic, and it's made from calcium carbonate and hydrolyzed vegetable protein.

Out of curiosity (because i believe that multiple sources of readily available calcium is essential, Cal Chloride included) could you post a link to where it is said to avoid C.Chloride? Thanks :tiphat:
It's implyed here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=310526
That's the only one I remember, off the top of my head, but I know I've heard it several times before.

m_astera

Veteran
Chlorine is an essential nutrient for all plants. Overuse of chloride fertilizer is not good, but in most cases it's far from toxic and I have seen no real evidence that it does any harm to soil life. Matter of fact, Cl is also an essential nutrient for all animal life.

The most commonly used fertilizer in the world is Potassium chloride (KCl, muriate of potash, 0-0-50). It is definitely overused, but it's cheap because it is naturally mined and even allowed under USDA organic rules.

Chlorine is a strong growth stimulant in plants, but, like excess Nitrogen, promotes rapid growth of vegetative tissues and fiber and high water content/low nutrient content.

Anyway, more than once I have done fertility consulting for growers whose plants showed Cl deficiencies, and suggested that the problem was they were filtering out the chlorine from their water supplies.

Cl should be around 1/4 of potassium, as long as K is in balance with Ca and Mg. More than that may stimulate growth but will likely reduce quality.

Mr.Mist

Chlorine is an essential nutrient for all plants. Overuse of chloride fertilizer is not good, but in most cases it's far from toxic and I have seen no real evidence that it does any harm to soil life. Matter of fact, Cl is also an essential nutrient for all animal life.

The most commonly used fertilizer in the world is Potassium chloride (KCl, muriate of potash, 0-0-50). It is definitely overused, but it's cheap because it is naturally mined and even allowed under USDA organic rules.

Chlorine is a strong growth stimulant in plants, but, like excess Nitrogen, promotes rapid growth of vegetative tissues and fiber and high water content/low nutrient content.

Anyway, more than once I have done fertility consulting for growers whose plants showed Cl deficiencies, and suggested that the problem was they were filtering out the chlorine from their water supplies.

Cl should be around 1/4 of potassium, as long as K is in balance with Ca and Mg. More than that may stimulate growth but will likely reduce quality.
Thanks, for the input.
I was aware that Cl is a micro nutrient necessary for osmosis and ionic balance and also plays a role in photosynthesis.

I just can't help but wonder:
If the chloride/chloramine is added to our tap water in order to keep it sterile,
then why wouldn't it keep the root zone sterile in my DWC buckets?

I can see how tap water wouldn't be harmful to soil,
since the Cl would make for such a little part of the medium,
but in DWC the ratio is(figuratively) the same as in the faucet(unless filtration is performed)..