What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

9/11 firefighter wins $5 million on a scratchcard

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
A New York City firefighter who retired after suffering lung problems while working at ground zero following the 9/11 terror attacks has won $5m on a lottery scratch card.

Carmelo Mercado, 63, was one of the members of Queens Battalion 49 who responded to the World Trade Center attack in 2001.

He retired in 2004 after he was told by doctors that his lungs had suffered too much damage for him to continue as a firefighter.

Mr Mercado, who has four children, was at a store in Queens when he decided to play the Cash X100 game. His first ticket failed to win anything, so he bought another which turned out to be the $5m top prize.

He said: "I was in shock when I realised I won. It's a blessing.

"I will certainly help out my family and this year's Christmas presents will be a little bigger than last year's."

He told CNN: "But I'm really excited to buy a summer house at Disney. We go as a family every year and it will be nice not to have to rent anymore."

Mr Mercado will receive a cheque for $3.3m after taxes are taken out.

He now lives in Orange County, north of New York City, and also plans to take his family on a Caribbean cruise.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
when you win the lottery you should get to keep it all...they double dip ..they make money selling it ,then they collect when you win..he ends up with like 3.3 mil...yeehaw..good for him he earned it like 27 years a firefighter

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
You're right there- that's one good thing about the UK lottery... Tax free

LEF

Veteran
Orange county new york

Orange county california

And i think there is also an orange county florida

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
pay Caesar and all that ...yeehaw..in reality you get strong armed by your government...organized crime at its best...their so organized you cant call em crooks

N

noyd666

yep oz is tax free, they still get it when you buy goods ,greedy fuk's. not wrong fuk'n thieves at there best.

B

bigganjabud

Yeah bud our UK government are corrupt as fuck ,however we are apparently turning a blind eye to UK canna growers

O

OGShaman

Glad he didn't win it in Illinois. I was just reading that they have stopped paying any prize over $25,000 until they figure out their budget situation. Lawsuits have been filed by lottery winners that want their money.

Anyways, good for him. 5 million doesn't last long anymore, but I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down. Even after taxes.

Latest posts

Latest posts