What's new

heads formula, tap or RO? CALLMAG or epsom salt???

As the title says....

Im using ro water, 69 formula, with drip clean and sm90,

I also add calmag at the beginning to raise the calcium in it alittle,

I have used epsom salt.!! BUT WITH MY RO WATER IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE ENOUGH CAL,

I'M THINKING... SHOULD I JUST SWITCH TO STRAIGHT TAP WATER???? WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THAT?????

I JUST TESTED MY RUN OFF AND I'VE BEEN WATONGA AT 5.8 TO 6.0...... 6.1 ON THE MOST RECENT FEED, AND THE RUNOFF IS COMING OUT AT 5.6 TO 5.5???

My ppm are around 850 to 900ppm 1.2ec

I have that's that are in 1 month of veg that look good... But have some calcium def it seems and some leaves twisting and rinkling.... all possible in calcium def..

I have been increasing mu calmag use,
I know do almost 4mls per call to get my

Cal mag, Ppms up to about 150 to 200 pppm of call mag

That is my situation....

IM CONCERNED ABOUT MY RUN OFF BEING SO LOW?

And I'm concert I see calcium def...

I HAVE PLANTS IN ALL STAGES, FULL VEG
AND SOME CLONES I'M WORRIED ABOUT THE CLONES If the ph stats that low,

Any help would be great,

It seems there is not much of coco and ppm

Or there is alot of missing information

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
What is the ec of the tap water you want to run?
What brand of coco are you using?
So your ph going in is 5.8-6.1 and comes out 5.5-5.6? Why do you even give a shit about this useless measurement? You do realize it's all within range and is therefore meaningless? It's got nothing to do with any problem you may have.

I'll have to mesure that ec when I get home,

Why is run off so useless???

I've seen my run off come out exactly as it goes in before!..

And I think it night have something to do the problens... idk

I use botanicare coco I think it is, doesn't really matter it's all the samee shit right

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah totally unnecessary to test runoff imo also...i dont see it being useful , always seems to turn into a shooting yourself in the foot scenario.

Only time i would think it helpful is if you have problems that last a week after adjusting variables?

Usually signs of something is off it shows for me in plants a few days later and corresponds to a watering ...at that time i look at any of the various things that can be out of line that are adjustable/variables.

It is also very important to write down waterings with info and ppms as well as any foilars or pest management and any other changes made or observed

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Can I ask you stoned40years what nutrients you use?
and how you water?

I use heads 6/9 GH nutes. My well water is kind of hard- 0.3ec but not hard enough to use GH Hardwater Micro which is for 0.4 and above. Sometimes I add a 1tsp/gal of Epsom, not convinced I even need to add it. I never run 6ml of micro and 9 of bloom per gal in veg or bloom. I run 5/7.5 which gives me 1.2ec all the way through. I feed through blumats- no runoff.
Try mixing 50/50 RO and tap and cutting back on that calmag, shits almost poison to me:tiphat:

Stoned40! Dood that's ideal, congrates! I'd love that set up with blumats,,

I seee.... you us well water so you take that into acount when u mix ur nutes and have knocked it down to 5,7?
So the outcome is around 1.2ec..

Very nice,

I am apsolutly considering dropine the ro.. not only does it waTse water like crazy! But it sucks out alot of calcium, and I'm currently seeing a calcium def.. witch I made a post about it you wanna see my problem
I will post a pic when I get home, it has progresses,

I think I will be dropping the ro

Using tap water, witch I think is about 150ppm and going straight 6,9 and some Epsom salt....

Im still having trouble getting my schedule down.. every fwe'd has had some variation.... very stressful

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Stoned40! Dood that's ideal, congrates! I'd love that set up with blumats,,

I seee.... you us well water so you take that into acount when u mix ur nutes and have knocked it down to 5,7?
So the outcome is around 1.2ec..

Very nice,

I am apsolutly considering dropine the ro.. not only does it waTse water like crazy! But it sucks out alot of calcium, and I'm currently seeing a calcium def.. witch I made a post about it you wanna see my problem
I will post a pic when I get home, it has progresses,

I think I will be dropping the ro

Using tap water, witch I think is about 150ppm and going straight 6,9 and some Epsom salt....

Im still having trouble getting my schedule down.. every fwe'd has had some variation.... very stressful

No need for ro when you have 150ppm 0.3ec tap water. Yes I take the water ec into consideration for my final ec. Keep it around 1.2 total. No big deal if it varies a tenth.

Stoned40, much props!
I remember when I first discover you on these forums ;)

I thought u were a dick lol,
it turns out ur just one of the good guys in the world,

I appreciate you stoned40years,

But I still think run off is a sign of something happening I have theory but won't go into detailnow,

Thank you all here is some pics on my prob,

I am currently water with

Half ro half tap water, witch ends up being 180ppm..

My TAP WATER IS ACTUALLY 300PPM 4.2 EC........

My

Attachments

• 20150627_133559.jpg
    20150627_133559.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20150701_141435.jpg
    20150701_141435.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150701_141514.jpg
    20150701_141514.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 17

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran

Minor lockout for sure. They say a slurry test will tell you more than measuring runoff. If it's not the feed you give than look for another cause. Like was the coco charged when you planted. Did you ever run straight ro flush through it, upsetting the cation balance? Temps, humidity?

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
i have chased run off readings for months, been on here like you asking and getting the same response. for example my run off EC was 1.3 and the plants looked hungry so i slurry tested the medium it came out .6 EC so i increased the frequency of feeding and added a pinch of Epsom and its all good now. i have not checked run off readings for awhile now i just do slurry tests when needed.

from what i have read plants dont need much cal so just use epsom and the 6/9 formula.

jewcebox

i can say that cocogro and readygro from botanicaire was my issue last grow (says its flushed, thats bullshit) , switched to house and garden no more issues with anything.

Unclecrash

I agree I buy the botanicare small bricks and the first one was 250ppm the second was 750ppm. I here the bag stuff is real good but have not tryed it.

The.Cook

If your tap comes out like 300uS or less shuold be fine. You probably can even search for latest analisys and check for Ca and Mg content if you want.

Anyway your run-off pH seems fine to me... But dont bother too much on it

Sorry I haven't been able to reply, it said my access was denied for awhile... ??

Whateves, glad to be back!

How is a slurry test proper performed?,

I've heard it is something like 4 to 1 coco and distilled water??

I REALLY don't see how u can get any sort of proper reading from that, because you are basically watering down ur mesurments,

GreenNGrass, we're you ever feeding ur plants at .6 ec?

I ask because you said ur run off was 1.3 but a slurry test said it was .6ec witch I don't think is possible if u were feeding them at, say, 1.0ec...

Ketch my drift??
Ive heard good things about slurry testing but just don't understand it really,

I'm really interested in Stoned40s zero run off set up,
do you have aNY post on it?

I'd love to have a zero run of grow but just can't get my head around it just yet??????

I feel like the salts would just keep building up...??

HHULKK

if you're feeding them the perfect nutrient strength the plants can't really accumulate an enormous salt buildup level. I believe the plants have a pretty good tolerance to buildup as long as it's not excessive. if you were feeding high ec levels and no runoff I could see it becoming a problem. 1.2 seems to be the magic nutrient strength. also with no runoff keeping the plants always moist is key. letting the medium dry too much can produce the same result as over feeding. I've done many runs with little to no runoff as well. I tend to just give the manual hand watering to give it runoff or just fill the medium with enough moisture so the next irrigation would cause runoff.