What's new

A mother plant....with a twist....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Just an idea at this point....but this is something I want to try..

Im going to take cuttings of 3 different strains...... probably 2 each....

Then Im going to plant the 3 best clones....as a 3 plant bunch.....

I suspect after some time...... It will be impossible to tell that the original plant was actually 3 clones...... the roots would intermingle....and the stems separated like branches......

Eventually Im going to examine the root ball.......

Dready_jake

One will overtake and eventually kill off the others or prevent them from being what they could've.

Some Veggie gardeners have a practice where in one plant spot they'll plant 3 seeds or plants. Whichever "one" of each three that does best gets to live and they pull the other two., ensuring each spot has a thriving plant by increasing each spots odds. If one spot has a dud seed or a weak plant there are two others there to replace it, so instead of one chance of a really thriving plant per spot, they have 3.
Seems a waste if plants/seeds, but as I said some plants and seeds are duds. Regardless of plant type. Just like some people are duds. Lol;)

But I encourage experimentation for all beginners so they can learn how the plant reacts to certain stressors/factors

Budley Doright

Veteran
You might like this then......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0WM0HFduXI

Im actually an advanced gardener.....

I notice in many of my vegetable starts.......

multiple plants..... this is no different......

of course witout pruning one plant often becomes dominant......

However pruning for the most part eliminates that......

Of course the 3 plants are competing.....they will be kept small ...... plenty of room for all......

but its about genetics and plant counts ....... not making all the plants monsters.....

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd be more inclined to use one strain. Take more clones than you need, then pick three that are nearly identical. Or at least, that's the direction my thinking goes. Twisted up stems look pretty but take a bit of work. Copper wire is your friend.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ive done plenty of grafting with fruit trees....high success......

thats because the fruit trees are dormant......

Grafting live growing plants....is a tad more difficult than transplanting 3 clones as a bunch....

Dion

sure

certain species like even chilli will fuse stems-is that what your going for?

but like whats the point? to keep plant numbers down?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Grafting will do it growing side by side will not, it will most likely just allow one to crowd out the other two.
You can graft 10+ different clones on one plant and that works fine to keep plant numbers down and a library alive.
I have seen a single plant with both males and females grafted to it, worked fine, if you want to try this one tip, use the latest flowering plant as the root stock, and graft the earlier flowering varieties onto it. If you do the reverse the plant may die before the grafted late varieties get to flower... Kind of trippy to see a plant with really different flowers from the grafted branches, different colors, different sexes, sequential flowering, lots of fun....
-SamS

Budley Doright

Veteran
Well..... sam I appreciate the response.....

I have done lots of grafting....apple trees....plums pears......

but Ive never had a graft survive on cannabis....

One thing I didnt notice....... an example thread.....

===================================================

but like whats the point? to keep plant numbers down? exactly

Budley Doright

Veteran
All right sam....... I will give the grafting another shot....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEf-5MoB2rA

this guy uses a saddle graft......

I will take this as my starting point.........

I would in fact like to learn to graft cannabis......

so I will give it another shot.....

The saddle graft is a good graft to use here (cannabis) I think......

==================================

I intend to do a few things differently.....

remove large fan leaves from scion....

use a clamp instead of duct tape..... the clamp is a plastic clothes pin...... which has 2 holes.... one for the line....the other for the garment

Clonex sounds like a bad idea to me....... you are trying to match cambrium layers not grow roots.....

Last edited:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Well grafting is the only way... i had ur thinking but each plant is a plant whether its 1 or 19 in a 5 gal... one single stalk one rootmass... grafting is the only way around these rules...

Budley Doright

Veteran
The deed is done.... I grafted a scion on a glue plant.....

I had used most of the branches in an airlayering test...... it went well....

So I had this plant with one branch left....... now that branch has a graft....

On the technical side..... I only cut the scion into a wedge.....

on the mother side I split that in two..... inserted the scion.....

and clamped it with a clothespin.....

I covered the whole thing loosely in a bag......

If it doesnt dry out in a couple days.....

I will remove the bag......

I feel good about the way it looked.....

NOrmally a graft say on an apple tree..... would be covered in some way....the whole thing wrapped to keep moisture in ....until the graft takes......

YOu cant really do that here...... covering a graft on a tree vs a live cutting create a much different situation....

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Cool if it works do 10 more different clone and take a photo, I take the worlds worst photos.
-SamS

Budley Doright

Veteran
I get what you are saying....... this however is just an experiment.....

if it takes and grows...... then..... I will do a bigger one.....

I had one graft that was fine before ..........just didnt grow out and eventually died.....maybe a month later.....

This is my first try using the clothespin clip....... I think thats a good idea.....

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have done lots it is not so hard, if I can do it. Maybe half or so died, no problem, I just cut a bit lower on the same branch and did another fresh graft that took.
I had big plants to work with.
Have fun.
-SamS

Budley Doright

Veteran
How much vegetation did you leave???? to me.... to prevent it drying out..... you would leave less......

I realize that this isnt a 100% thing...... 50% makes it worth doing.....

I really should have done about 3....but I had this perfect plant to do one.....

let me see how that one goes.....

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No much and I shaded and bagged it to prevent drying out.
I used a wedge graft on the side branches I just cut them off and did the wedge graft and used grafting wax, tape or sealer paste.
They worked about the same, I also tried to use woody stems not fresh new floppy ones. It is real easy, I bet you could get 90% success if you tried, I did not try hard.
You can prune the top and all the side branches so it does not grow so tall and each diamond locked tagged branch is only one type you can prune the individual branches and make new clones of them if needed as well as keeping the plant size managed, It looks funny but works and when you do flower it you can harvest for months depending on the varieties used. Be sure to make a new one before flowering the old one. Maybe in the future places will sell a 10 graft plant as a smaller grafted clone that you can stick outdoors and if you had an Auto grafted on it you could have herb in the summer and from the same plant in Fall and Winter...
You might have to use a whole Auto for the graft as Autos are very difficult to keep as a clone, for a graft, but there are ways to keep Autos alive forever. Just not used much yet.

-SamS

How much vegetation did you leave???? to me.... to prevent it drying out..... you would leave less......

I realize that this isnt a 100% thing...... 50% makes it worth doing.....

I really should have done about 3....but I had this perfect plant to do one.....

let me see how that one goes.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Thanks it would just be a way to store genetics....

With grafting you can get lots of clones.....

In my first post...... I wouldnt do more than 3......

I was going to use some wax or tape....but wanted to just try the small hole in the clothespin.....and its pretty wide....covers the graft since I used a scion to fit that hole....

I will update tomorrow and hope I have turgor

Latest posts

Latest posts