What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One mans excitement.

fuggzy

So as the title says, I'm pretty damn excited! :woohoo: After a long wait (about 6 months of research) I've finally started to get my gear for growing. A few days ago I received my grow tent, it's a 4x2x5 piece by Milliard. I posted a small overview with pics if anyone is interested. Today I got my fan, and scrubber, both by ventech, and 4". I also placed an order for my light. I'll be doing a DIY LED panel with 24 bridgelux, vero 10 cobs (12, 3000k &12, 3500k) powered by 12 drivers. There will be ~194 watts (26.7FV @ .300ma for ~8.1w ea)of lights to start, but i plan on another 12 cobs for 96 more watts when I get a bit more money to do so. Next week I will be getting 6 heat sinks, along with 6 fans to cool them. Most of the info I got about DIY LED came here from ICmag, so I look forward to posting a tutorial on building the light, and spread the info that I value SO MUCH. I'll individually add names to my contributors later, but for now I just want to thank EVERYONE here for sharing their knowledge.
:greenstars:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad to hear it's going well and it sounds like you're off to a great start.

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
Isn't it a great feeling when everything starts coming together. I wish u the best , keep us posted on your progress

fuggzy

Thanks guys. :smile: It is pretty nice. I just ordered the supplies to make 5 1ft supplement bars. They are going to be 7-8, 3w per bar, for a total ~52-60 more watts. I do have to admit, the 3watters are not Cree or Philips unfortunately. The price would have been doubled at least. I have a micro-cab with top bin 3w led, and they are great. However that is only 8 led, these bars will have 35-40. Don't beat me too bad, I'm ballin' on a budget. Anywho, good luck and have fun guys.

Fuggzy

fuggzy

So I decided to run the 3w LED a bit softer, and changed the drivers. The reds will be driven at 600ma, 2.2v for ~1.32w ea. The white LED will be driven at 300ma, 3.6v for ~1.1w ea. Also I went to 6 bars of 6 lights ea. These changes are mainly due to heat, as I am going to try and passively cool the smaller LEDs. Its should give me roughly 43 more watts, and a bit more spread.

fuggzy

Is that a treasure chest at my door?

Is that a treasure chest at my door?

:groupwave:
Just a small update on the excitement. I received my Cobs this morning. 24 Bridgelux vero 10s, 12 @ 3000k, and 12 @ 3500k.

Just a head up for people looking to buy COB lighting, Digi-key makes it rather easy as long as you have an idea of what you want. The filter system there is great, you can dial it in to about spec you want. Prices are competitive, shipping prices are about average, but packaging is pretty safe. I'm not trying to advertise for them, just a happy noob of a customer.

Drivers should be here any day for the COBs. For now I'll just test them on the Drivers in my micro cab.

fuggzy

Do you smell a mail man?

Do you smell a mail man?

So the drivers still have no shown up. :clock watch: I'm stalking :peek: the mail man like he struck my child. On the other hand, I got a delivery on Sunday. That kinda took me by surprise. Either Disney, or Amazon have a tight grip on FedEx.

DHgate has got me a bit pissy atm too:cuss:. They shipped 2 bongs and bowl to the wrong address, and I had to put in a change of address for a house I don't live at. USPS said it was still not 100% chance they wouldn't get sent back. 1 was a failure to deliver to original address, now I just hope the redirect is caught. Other 2 are in transit somewhere in the US. I don't blame the individual vendors as they shipped to the address DH had. However DH didn't not give them the info on my profile..... They sure as hell got the right CC# though. Sorry for the rant.

I tested the new cobs on the drivers in my micro-cab. They all tested out just fine, no surprise. I put 2 of the 3500k in the micro for the time being. There are now 2ea of 3000k, and 3500k driven at .350ma for ~37.38 watts total. Side note I don't run my fans off the led driver, they have a separate psu.

When I find the cable to my camera, and rewire the microcab (its a bit ugly atm, rough wired) I'll share some pics of it.

In total I'm still waiting on
50 3w diodes 3200k x20, 4000k x10, 660-670nm reds x20
6 heatsinks 2.079" x 18" for cobs
7 heatsinks 12mm*25mm*300mm for 3w diodes
15 drivers for entire setup plus 1 for the microcab
6 70mm fans cool cobs

I still can't figure out how I want to do my medium:dunno:. I read some threads about organic soiless, and not needing to feed it through the plants growth. I like the organic idea, as this is just for my personal use. Also with this being my 1st actual grow, it sounded a bit more fool proof. I'm sure fool proof is exactly not what it is, but seemed easier for a newbie. I'll contuniue to read more on it, but does anyone have any suggestions on an organic soil/soiless mix good for newbies? I don't mind feeding them, its just 1 more thing to learn.

Dwc look really nice and interesting. If I go that route it would have to be at least 1-2 grows in though. I need to recuperate some of this money before I go spending more. It has cost me just a bit more than 2 months of buying smoke. I figured with this being roughly how long it should take to flip a harvest, it was a good starting budget. 4-6 months worth would have been nice. xD

Good luck & have fun
Fuggzy

fuggzy

So I intended this thread to be about my new gear and it coming together, but this is just a lil update on the prior rant.

I checked all 3 tracking numbers, with 2 still in transit to FL, and the 3rd had a new **ALERT** on it.

Expected Delivery Day: Friday, June 26, 2015
Your item was forwarded to a different address at 8:03 am on June 26, 2015 in **********, FL. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect.

So that put a smile back on my face... :laughing:Looks like I might need to get some more smoke before the night it over.

Good luck & have fun
Fuggzy

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check out the soil mix recipes in the Organic and Indoor Soil subforums, many a simple recipe.

Hopefully the mail arrives in due time :)

Pro Headies

Veteran
Im not organic but i keep it pretty simple. I use HP Pro mix as a base soil and mix in Fox Farm Ocean Forest (ffof) at different amounts based on plants stage in life. A couple guys i mentor use no fertilizers all the way through bloom that have smaller grows like yours. Buy a ppm pen and keep track of runoff ppm and you will be able to tell when they need fed or up potted.

oti$

Im putting together a water only soil mix to see if there is a big quality difference from my usual coco\bottled nute method. I just ordered the amendments from build a soil(c. Coots mix) its pretty commonly usex water only mix that many of the organic heads have great results with, its also a good mix to start with if you want to recycle. Good luck!

fuggzy

**Black Gold**

**Black Gold**

:fsu:
Well that was a slip of the enter key...

So, to those 3 thanks on the input. :laghing:

Mikell, I went to the indoor-soil, directery and spent some time. 35 min, and 2 bowls later, and I still wasn't half way done on the 1st post. Good stuff, Thanks.

Pro Headies, Thanks again for the help with my hot ass garage. Funny note, I had a stoned moment today, and thanked a stranger for that. Now I have to show him how it turns out too lol.

My garden doesn't HAVE t be organic, but I like the idea of a "clean" lifestyle. The shit I'm smoking right now defiantly is not organic. I cooked professionally for 11 years and after serving that any fats asses, and heart attacks, I had a change of heart on what I like to consume. Don't get me wrong. I had a can of viana sausages tonight, and I'd eat the ass out of a Twinkie.

Point being at this time anything is an option. A ppm pen is on the list to get too. I found a EC meter in the workshop, although I have not really looked it up to see what its for.

oti$, thanks for the link to the organics to go. I'm going to look further in to it after I get off here. Also I'll see what I can find here. Being new to growing in general, it sounds like a good start. Thanks.

Off to fill my brain with more know hows, and don't dos... There is so much to learn it almost becomes compulsive to just cram the brain to capacity.

Good luck & have fun
Fuggzy
Pro Headies
Mikell

fuggzy

More treasures awaiting

More treasures awaiting

Happy Saturday everyone. Hope the 1st half of the weekend has gone well. I've had a great family day, but a rather bad pain day. I have scoliosis and osteoarthritis in my lower back. Having 18mo old son,:blowbubbles: I gotta be on my toes. Anywho... soon I'll be able to get some strains that will be able to help out on those days. Doc wants to give me pain meds, but I'd rather live with it than become a slave to a pill.

So I got mail today. Got all the diodes, drivers, and heatsinks to make my supplemental bars. I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to do them.
The general idea at the time is 3 660nm, and 3 3200k led per 12" bar passively cooled. I did also order 4200k so if I want to play with the spectrum later I can. If i can fit more than 6 w/o any heat problems, I'll most likely just add the 4200k with the other 2. There will be 5 bars, however I did get an extra heatsink, who the hell doesn't want more light.

Would be nice if the rest of the gear would arrive. I'm pretty sure these cobs are not water proof, and i keep drooling on them waiting on their drivers.

Good luck & have fun
Fuggzy

fuggzy

Well I finally got more of my lighting supplies. :woohoo:Drivers where in the mail yesterday, and larger heat sinks where delivered today. Now the only thing I'm waiting on is the fans to cool the cobs. Also all the glass I was waiting for arrived too.

When the fans get here and I can complete the light I'll post a new thread showing the build.