What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DEA Enters this Century!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Washington D.C. – With states all across the country lowering their penalties in marijuana cases, the incoming DEA chief says that the agency will no longer focus on marijuana. Chuck Rosenberg, a former administrator at the FBI, claimed that instead of attacking marijuana users and sellers, that he wants to “improve the DEA’s procedures on classifying, declassifying and reclassifying drugs,” as the new chief of the DEA.

Rosenberg “has proven himself as an exceptional leader, a skilled problem-solver, and a consummate public servant of unshakable integrity,” Att. Gen. Loretta Lynch said in a statement.

Long time DEA chief Michele Leonhart ‘resigned’ last month in the midst of various scandals, including accusations of DEA agents being involved in drugs and prostitution. Leonhart’s views on marijuana were extremely out of touch with popular opinion, as she continually insisted that it was a dangerous drug with no medical value whatsoever, standing by the DEA’s Schedule 1 classification.

With Leonhart now being replaced by a new DEA chief that is entirely retreating in the war on marijuana, another small step is taken towards the end of prohibition.

Unfortunately, the DEA still needs to bring their revenue in somehow, so they will be turning their marijuana enforcement apparatus onto users of other drugs, namely heroin, cocaine and psychedelic drugs.

While this may be great news for individual users of marijuana, this still does not correct the horror of the drug war, nor does it address the unintended consequences that spring up as a result. With the prohibition of other drugs still enforced, organized crime will continue to flourish, and the violence that it brings will continue to spill over into the streets. Additionally, people who are struggling with addiction will be victimized by police instead of receiving the treatment that they need.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/dea-chief-retreats-war-marijuana-agency-longer-focus-marijuana/

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not going after marijuana would be a positive step. Shutting down the DEA and ending the drug prohibition laws for good would be the right thing to do. No one should go to prison for drugs, even the unhealthy ones.

Nice thread rives.

This is indeed good news if it's actually happens. I've liked what I read about the new DEA administrator (although he's only the interim administrator; see links below), he's not great, but he's not nearly as bad as Leonhart.

I like that he wasn't a drug crazy cop or prosecutor. But if he is only the interim administrator, I wonder if the permanent director will take the same tack (if say, god forbid a nut bag republican wins office in 2016).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/u...huck-rosenberg-as-next-dea-director.html?_r=0
&
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dea-administrator-20150513-story.html
Lynch appointed Rosenberg acting administrator, but he is expected to head the DEA for the remainder of the Obama administration.

LEF

Veteran
What i dont like about the dea is that they got offices all over the world and it's like the organisation has tentacles all over the world. Other countries cooperate and let them do their thang. In some south american countries they are starting to get tired of the american way of dealing with drugs.

minds_I

Veteran
Shutting down the DEA and ending the drug prohibition laws for good would be the right thing to do

No one should go to prison for drugs, even the unhealthy ones.

Hello all,

Shutting down the DEA would be a terrible idea IMO...there is a drug problem other then MJ. Would you have heroin a recreational drug? oxycontin? How about meth...there's a good drug to be dependent on.

Remember, mj is not as harmful and should not be in a classification that it is in. I support the DEA in their efforts to stop meth cookers, coke/heroin runners. Sorry if this is not viewed kindly.

As to individuals...drug addiction is a health issue and should be treated as one.

That said, the DEA has a new captain at the helm as it were so lets see where this goes.

Its is another domino to fall depending on how far reaching the efforts to focus on other drug issues. IMO.

Also, as a side note, doctors are in part responsible for opioid addictions in the US...which have connections to pharmaceutical companies. IMO.

minds_I

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not going after marijuana would be a positive step. Shutting down the DEA and ending the drug prohibition laws for good would be the right thing to do. No one should go to prison for drugs, even the unhealthy ones.
Absolutely...
Shut these sum bags, that we the people cannot even vote for, down!

What i dont like about the dea is that they got offices all over the world and it's like the organisation has tentacles all over the world. Other countries cooperate and let them do their thang. In some south american countries they are starting to get tired of the american way of dealing with drugs.

Without those offices all over the globe they can't send interoffice memos filled with drugs.
Most large corporations have mail moved by employees...
It never leaves the company as long as the destination & origin are within.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all,

Shutting down the DEA would be a terrible idea IMO...there is a drug problem other then MJ. Would you have heroin a recreational drug? oxycontin? How about meth...there's a good drug to be dependent on.

Remember, mj is not as harmful and should not be in a classification that it is in. I support the DEA in their efforts to stop meth cookers, coke/heroin runners. Sorry if this is not viewed kindly.

As to individuals...drug addiction is a health issue and should be treated as one.

That said, the DEA has a new captain at the helm as it were so lets see where this goes.

Its is another domino to fall depending on how far reaching the efforts to focus on other drug issues. IMO.

Also, as a side note, doctors are in part responsible for opioid addictions in the US...which have connections to pharmaceutical companies. IMO.

minds_I

Heroin and meth are already recreational drugs. The people who want them mostly have access to them. The prohibition laws don't stop people from using hard drugs. The effects of the laws are worse than the drugs themselves.

Heroin overdoses happen largely from the differences in potency on the black market. Addicts would be better off with a clean legal supply. Sometimes people live that way for a while and decide to give it up for a chance at a better future. Hard drug users are definitely better off without the threat of prison time and a felony on their record. The drug war has ruined more lives than any drug.

At least most people here agree that weed should be legal.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If public pressure remains as constant as it has recently, then and only then will the DEA stop going after pot so much. The less drugs they go after, the less money will be allocated to them. It was always the money and power for these government parasites.

They are just doing damage control with this pot deescalation stuff. They do not want to risk being broken up or downsized very heavily. A concession is made to allow them to continue to harass us taxpayers who employ them against our will.

A portion of my paycheck goes to these fucks so they can try to control my freedom of choice for my body and mind. No wonder I smoke pot! The thought of that alone is enough to make you unstable and need some chemical assistance.