What's new

Getting a late start?

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Hey everyone and good morning!

I have been spending the last couple weeks digging and prepping plots and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I will dig and put plants out until the end of July.

My concern is having my plants prepared to go out. Usually i'm ass backwards, I have many plants ready to go out during the months of April and May but don't have nearly enough holes dug and plots prepared to place my girls. This year its the opposite, many holes and plots but no plants out yet.

I currently have 5 plants that are a month and a half old that i'm throwing into flower today. I have took about four cuttings from each plant that are in the process of rooting as of now. I also have some seedlings going as well. My plan was to take those cuttings as soon as they root and place them outdoors and then take 4 cuttings or so from those as well once they have enough shoots coming out and then that would supply with enough clones to do this season.

If I used that method that would give me 100 clones to work with, but, it would be around july 1st or so before they will be able to go outside. Somehow I have gotten thrown off on my calculations and now i'm paying the price. What should I do? I don't see much of a yield on those girls getting out that late. My latitude is around 37 Appalachia.

I'm debating on starting about 100 or 200 seeds as we speak and sexing them out as well. Should I work more with seeds or clones? What is my best bet yield wise? I'm now worried to death and will learn from this that next year I will have my ducks in a row.

Maybe its time for some discussion on some advanced techniques to get me some big yields with methods that I am not aware of when it comes to planting late. Keep in mind, there is no back yard shit going on here, can't do that type of thing here in my state. Its all strictly guerilla, man where is Silverback when I need him! :(

My lattitude is 34, not much different from yours, and I planted late last year and still got a good yield.

I would forget about your plan of taking clones and then growing them out and then taking clones off them. Way too slow.

Start seedlings immediately, and start a lot.
You sound like you have alot of homemade seeds so don't try and conserve them, you can make more later, but now you have to go all out.

If you can sex your seedlings and and then reveg them under lights (I'm assuming you have growlights) for a week to kick them back into veg., so you need 17 days there, if you can do that and have them out before the middle of summer then do that.

If doing that would mean you would have to plant out later than the middle of summer then I would say don't sex them, as you will lose 17 days that they could be veging. outdoors.
Instead plant them all out, males and all.
If you plant out middle of summer or later then it won't be long before the males show sex, and you can pull them up, so you don't have to tend to them for long.

Sure your numbers will be higher for a short time if you plant males and all, re. leo, but it's only for a short time.

If planting males as well plant more in one spot, so after pulling the males you will still have the planned number of females in that spot.
Plant two or three plants in each hole, that way you should end up with one female per hole. Last year the latest ones that went in, I planted 4 plants per hole, and even then one hole all 4 plants were male.

I don't know what fertilizer you are using but don't waste your time with organics, you will get faster veg. growth using liquid solubal fertilizer, just dissolve in water and water on.
And fast veg growth is what you want when planting late, you have to get the infrastructure, eg leaves and branches and stem, in place to support a good crop of buds come flowering time.
So use something around 25% nitrogen.

D.D.

I have to echo all others.

Pop those seeds and get them in the ground.

I am waaaay behind too and having to go from seed to bud on location Guerrilla Style.

MountainBudz

So featherfoot when exactly are you talking about sexing seeds out? If I have seedlings right now at this very moment, how long should I wait to flip 12/12 and are you saying flip back after a week of 12/12? I've done something similar before. I also have plenty of experience with putting unsexed plants in a single hole to share a home together with decent success. I don't know man maybe i'm stressing it out too much. I'm just used to having things out in mid to late April, sometimes even earlier than that. I guess the most important thing to putting out a late crop would be good sunlight. I do remember putting a local bred fresh rooted clone, well several of them out mid June one year and they all pulled a bit over a QP each.

Willstown thats some good information you shared there as well and I agree with organics being the way to go, but at least i'll have my holes dug this year and be able to amend them over the fall and winter after harvest for a more organic approach next year. I used to have plenty of holes I used every year until I got the big head and tried pulling off a damn garden of eden with rows lol. That entire spot was boomed.

I thought about using the spot again, but around here they red flag everywhere that crops are found on GPS coordinates and look there time after time, every year. By the way, went scouting today and found another great spot which actually has a creek and spring within 45 foot! Good water flow, you can tell it never dries up. Going to be a good yielding garden in the area if all goes well.

I am soaking a large amount of seeds as we speak right now and will put them in trays tomorrow. My plan is, focus on getting the clones out I already have which are beginning to root and then my seed plants that I am germing now. Then once I get all that stuff out I will take some late cuttings once those have established, veg for a week, put in 12/12 and the put outside right on flowering hours to pull off several small one ouncers, Silverback has a thread using this method, he explains it well. I am too tired to dig it up as i've been in the bush the last 6 hours and need to catch up on some sleep.

Thanks guys for helping me. D.D. thank you as well for the inspiration. Hope you all have a wonderful year and huge harvests!

So featherfoot when exactly are you talking about sexing seeds out? If I have seedlings right now at this very moment, how long should I wait to flip 12/12 and are you saying flip back after a week of 12/12?

I veg. the seedlings for 2 1/2 weeks or three weeks and then sex them; I find if I try to sex them earlier they tend to take longer to sex.
If you use a magnifying glass you will be able to pick up the sex of some of them after 7 days, and by 10 days you will know the sex of most of them.
For veging outdoor seedlings or clones I usually use a 1000W Cool Metal Halide, so they veg. quite quickly and are a decent size when I flip them into 12/12 to sex them.

Sexing is basically putting them into flowering, but soon as they start to flower, ie. the first pre-flowers appear, you don't want them to continue to flower, you want them to go back into veg.
Because they are so early into flower, ie. a week to 10 days, they go back into veg easily, much easier than a plant that has nearly completed flowering.

It is a hormone in the plant that builds up in dark hours that triggers flowering, this hormone is destroyed by light.
That's why I give them 24 hours of light a day for a week after sexing, to get rid of this flowering hormone so they remain in veg, till the longer nights of autumn allow this flowering hormone to build up again to a level that triggers them to flower.

If your daylight hours outdoors are over 14 hours of daylight as you said, you will be able to put them straight outdoors from sexing, without giving them the week of 24 hours of light, and the days will be long enough to kick them back into veg.

Actually the week of 24 hours of light per day after sexing I usually reserve for plants that go out late winter for a spring harvest or very late plantings.
The reason I do this is because if you plant at those times the nights are long enough at planting to trigger flowering straight away, and so I want the plants to go out when they are in veg phase so they continue to veg. for a short time before flowering.
Just gives that extra bit of growth.

But given the hours of daylight you have at the moment you will be right putting them straight outdoors after sexing without giving them that week of 24 hours of light a day.

MountainBudz

Ok, so I have germinated several seeds. Very few feminized and many regular seeds are now sprouting in secluded safe grow area outdoors. By doing my math and figuring my odds, I plan on putting 3 plants per hole. Which means I will have to dig 120 holes. When using this method of 3 per hole, what size of holes do you usually dig. I usually dig a good 3ft wide by 2 ft deep hole. This is not possible with that number. And basically what do you generally yield?

I've done this before but it has been years back when I first started and from what I remember I had decent results. I doubt 120 holes will be dug, because I like to sometimes dig a 3ft wide by 10ft to 15ft strip "trench" and put about 20-30 per strip. I will cut out males when they show. I've done this before with pretty good results, much easier than digging separate holes. But I only have very few places in mind that I can do this as it is much more visible to aerial detection.

MountainBudz

Probably wont lol. But I could have them dug by the first week of June if needed, just don't want to kill myself doing it. So far i've been averaging about 12-15 holes per trip (one day) and they are decent holes, 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep. So it is possible. Keep in mind i'm a bodybuilder and do a lot of powerlifting as well, along with hiking and cardio three days a week lol. Its not that bad unless its really humid out.:tiphat:

N

NewAgeGenetics

MountainBudz said:
12-15 holes per trip (one day) and they are decent holes, 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep

muhahahahaha!!!!!!!!

one day and you are a dead man

Latest posts

Latest posts