What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Too many cooks

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
No, not about that funny viral video of a few months back - this is really about cooking.

I told my Mrs. I'd cook dinner - I've been the main cook around house for past few years due to work situation, etc. & had a recipe for roasted chicken. Mrs. offered to help, I declined - not rocket science.

Well, damned if she didn't spend 1/2 the time I was trying to get shit done turning off the water I had running (constant hand washing with raw chicken), moving the pots & stuff (to help), constantly offering to cut veggies, etc. (I had it covered) and generally being a complete pain in the ass.

WTF does it take to understand the first 10 times I say "No, thanks" I mean "NO! THANKS!". Finally, I get pissed, snap at her & she gets all pissy at my attitude.

Tried to make nice dinner, started minor skirmish

Last edited:

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Oh, and I'd taken bird out to defrost 2 days ago - but she kept putting the damned thing BACK into fridge, so it wasn't thawed properly.

FML

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had the same thing come up last night. A small kitchen means a second cook can get in the way more than help.

Kiss her and say "Babe, I got this. Get high and watch tv for a minute, and I'll bring you an awesome dinner. :)"

I know what it's like living with someone and getting annoyed over little things. Just let go and don't let it bother you if she's getting in the way when she's trying to help. Don't take her for granted. It's never worth getting upset unless it's a major thing.

BigJohnny

Oh, and I'd taken bird out to defrost 2 days ago - but she kept putting the damned thing BACK into fridge, so it wasn't thawed properly.

FML

you don't leave chicken out at room temp to defrost do you??
That's just asking for food poisoning dude.

2 days in the fridge should be plenty of time for even the largest of chickens.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
you don't leave chicken out at room temp to defrost do you??
That's just asking for food poisoning dude.

2 days in the fridge should be plenty of time for even the largest of chickens.

Medium sized frozen did not thaw after 2 days in fridge - I'd put it out, she'd throw it back into fridge (because I might forget / she was just trying to be helpful)

I have been the main cook for family for awhile - not like my first rodeo. I adore her, but the meddling/getting in the way drives me mental. She can't cook worth shit, but that's been since Day 1 (3 decades). I can cook, but basically she sabotaged my meal with "kindness" (read wouldn't leave the fucking thing alone even after I'd asked/begged/TOLD her to back off).

Not help - hindrance.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Teach her to cook and get her off your case bro spend some time with her and explain that if your cooking she isn't.. If she can't grasp this small fact then draw her a picture :biggrin:

floralheart

Veteran
Maybe she wanted to make dinner WITH you for the holiday. Less of a utility, more wanting to spend time with you. Heads up for the next holiday.

junior_grower

Sounds like dinner last night.
I poured her a nice glass of wine told her sure you can help. Let her chop veggies and make a salad. I found out it drove her nuts to not be able to cook, as a woman.

Perpetual Nooch

I don't know, man. You should be glad you have someone that wants to help you out. Instead of laying on the couch, never wanting to lift a finger to help you in any way, you're one of the lucky ones.

LEF

Veteran
Humans, we sometimes only start appreciating someone/something when she/it is gone.

A lot of places where I go, the person who cooks doesn't have to do the dishes.

Green Squall

picture.php

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Medium sized frozen did not thaw after 2 days in fridge - I'd put it out, she'd throw it back into fridge (because I might forget / she was just trying to be helpful)

I have been the main cook for family for awhile - not like my first rodeo. I adore her, but the meddling/getting in the way drives me mental. She can't cook worth shit, but that's been since Day 1 (3 decades). I can cook, but basically she sabotaged my meal with "kindness" (read wouldn't leave the fucking thing alone even after I'd asked/begged/TOLD her to back off).

Not help - hindrance.

Hah, I feel your pain. Personally I hate to cook a piece of meat if it isn't room temp. Roasts, chicken, turkeys, etc, take hours to warm up from the fridge. Bit of a battle everytime, people are raised to be scared of raw meat. Scared of everything for that matter.

Latest posts

Latest posts