What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Comeuppance....aka "bad karma", am I wrong to be "happy" when I see it play out?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Comeuppance....aka "bad karma", am I wrong to be "happy" when I see it play out?

Comeuppance--defined as "a punishment or fate that someone deserves".

I just heard that someone from my prior life...an asshole that purposely screwed dozens of people in various business deals (and that's just the ones I'm aware of) experienced a series of heart attacks a few months ago and is not recovering so well. My immediate reaction was to smile and utter then words "that's karma playing out"....

Is it wrong to be "happy" when you see/hear of someone receiving a bit of "bad karma" or a bit of "comeuppance"?

My wife suggested I send him a "get well soon" card as a polite way of saying "fuck you". Lol, if I send him any card it would be a jumbo "congratulations" card complete with flashing neon lights and hand delivered by a "stripper nurse"!

Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you right on the head
You better get yourself together
Pretty soon you're gonna be dead
What in the world you thinking of
Laughing in the face of love
What on earth you tryin' to do
It's up to you, yeah you......

But I am conflicted....I am not a "cold person", and seldom, if ever, "happy" upon learning of someone's decline in health (especially at my age...60+). I believe that people's hearts/minds can change...but maybe not their health. But in this instance, I am more than happy to watch this bit of "bad karma" play out.

Funny thing--when I think of his current "predicament", I get this big cheshire chat, cheese eating grin on my face...lol. Crazy, yes no?

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Sometimes it's OK to grin at the shit people get themselves into - if that guy was a prick like you say, his misfortune now is just the universe getting even.

WelderDan

Veteran
I enjoy seeing any asshole getting what he desperately deserves. And I don't feel bad about it.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
We are wired for revenge and justice so feeling like it this when we see karma come back to roost brings some satisfaction.

If you believe in karma (physics can't trace the karma on an atomic level yet so in science it isn't actualized) as I do then you may come to see some other aspects to our being.

One is to have the capacity to sense karma, the second is to know why. Karma is conscious observation and acknowledgement of our causation.

It requires we embrace and come to know the conscious potential of our being.

This is opposed to the base and carnal part of our being that we are born into and can still choose to embrace (physiology and environment can effect it as well).

Greed, lust, hunger are all primal impulses we are born to react to and have command over as we develop our consciousness.

How well we develop that consciousness is reflected by out karma, as is the quality of our lives when measured in metrics that embrace humanitarian consciousness.

What all of this means it that, when you see it for the totality of what it is, the human potential in regard to our conscious potential your "friend" is a person who lived and most probably will die without reconciling or coming to know that potential.

When you see it from that perspective imho it simply becomes sad that he will never reach this potential and gain the benefits that come with it.

floralheart

Veteran
a former buddy used that term with me. comeuppance

He ended up a closet heroine junkie for a decade. Paying for all the shitty things he's done to people. yeah...

be wary of using the term, universal justice is very real

floralheart

Veteran
Sometimes it's OK to grin at the shit people get themselves into - if that guy was a prick like you say, his misfortune now is just the universe getting even.

It can be a dark road. I watched the junkie descend into madness. And in it, developed my own sickness. Watching his life collapse as a spectator sport. It brings bad things. It's good to let go.

He became a character on web chats and phone calls with all kinds of people who never really knew who he was. Walking, talking punchline.

It was really never my place to judge or gain the satisfaction. Leave it to the wind.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
For me, the older I get, the less vindictive I am. I think it's an unhealthy emotional state to be in. Don't get me wrong, i can still get like that, but it doesn't last long anymore. I find myself moving along rather quickly now.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I can't help but smirk when bad karma hits the deserving but it's something I wish I didn't feel.

OTOH, I want to live long enough to piss on Dick Cheney's grave. Go figure.

LEF

Veteran
I am vindictive at times, vengeful.

I don't resort to violence though, that is only for self defense.

So i usually wait... If someone said something to me, I will think of something eventually, it's best when it's on the spot, so people know why they are getting shit thrown at them instead of letting them know a couple of days later.

I had this lady laugh at me recently because i stayed with my parents for a while (lived near school and i felt i helped around the house)

Well, i told her a couple days later. Yeah i lived with my parents, but at your house, the kids run away. She is a single mother, very selfcentered/protecting her little self, and the kids run away from the house, are on drugs, the dad doesnt want to see the kids anymore because they remind him of their mother.

So yeah when I hear someone who did me wrong gets served justice, it does sort of bring a feeling of justice having been served, its fullfilling. I try to be nice with people, respectful, o sort of expect the same.

The thing is, i did make mistakes in my life, and i imagine if i grew up with different parents, different economic status, different genes, i might not be as decent, so i try to be somewhat open to forgiveness/clemency.

I know a guy who recently got beat up because he was trying to steal from cars at 3 am. 2-3 guys caught him and gave him the beating of his life. They even stole what money he had on him and he had a concussion. Felt bad for the guy but he sort of had it coming...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
"Vengeance is Mine, sayeth the Lord." He didn't say anything about comeuppance.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Oh the guy deserves every bit of pestilence/suffering/heartbreak he is getting. A few years ago, he caused...about 3 weeks before Christmas....his profitable company to suddenly go out of business; one that had employed about 4 dozen people. Think losing your job a few weeks before Christmas is bad, how about finding your final paycheck (2 weeks of pay plus all your unused sick and vacation pay) to be worthless? The asshole zeroed the corporate bank accounts a day before he issued final paychecks and then left town. Nice guy huh? One of his key employees ended up going to prison (obstruction of justice) and I heard today his children have disowned him. Wow.

I personally did not lose any money, years ago a group of us cobbled a bridge loan which was paid in full, but some decided to do additional financing and they lost big.

The odd complication for me is....I find myself elated, almost giddy--knowing this asshole's days are numbered. Revenge?...nah, this is pure "Karma". Revenge would be something I caused to happen...this is all on him and his shitty life/life-style.

Lesson learned: All that emotional stress caused from lying and fucking over people has a way of catching up with you.

BTW Jelly, would the great flood (Noah and the Ark) be viewed as a comeuppance to all the wicked people that drowned? Afterall it was "God's judgement"....or was it a way to wipe away/cleanse all the "genetic mistakes" (mutants) that were born--consequent to humans having sexual relationships with ancient astronauts/aliens/angels? Hmmmm.

Genghis Kush

We are wired for revenge and justice so feeling like it this when we see karma come back to roost brings some satisfaction.

If you believe in karma (physics can't trace the karma on an atomic level yet so in science it isn't actualized) as I do then you may come to see some other aspects to our being.

One is to have the capacity to sense karma, the second is to know why. Karma is conscious observation and acknowledgement of our causation.

It requires we embrace and come to know the conscious potential of our being.

This is opposed to the base and carnal part of our being that we are born into and can still choose to embrace (physiology and environment can effect it as well).

Greed, lust, hunger are all primal impulses we are born to react to and have command over as we develop our consciousness.

How well we develop that consciousness is reflected by out karma, as is the quality of our lives when measured in metrics that embrace humanitarian consciousness.

What all of this means it that, when you see it for the totality of what it is, the human potential in regard to our conscious potential your "friend" is a person who lived and most probably will die without reconciling or coming to know that potential.

When you see it from that perspective imho it simply becomes sad that he will never reach this potential and gain the benefits that come with it.

:yeahthats