What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

REALSTYLES DIY CXB3590 TUTORIAL

XavierFernandez

Problem with lenses is the internal COB chip temps are much higher then if you dont have a lenses installed, which in turn will shorten life span, or you will have to run them at a lower amperage, for grow lights, it will be better to run with out lenses at a slightly higher amperage then with lenses.

peace

Yeah, I figured the temp of the COB's would increase but I doubt they would be toast before I end up upgrading to whatever CREE's new batch is in 2 years or so.

XF, are your cobs 36v?...how close to the canopy are you placing them?

As cloe as I can without bleaching or heat curl. Right now, about 3 weeks into flower and they are 4-5" (and not quite directly above) at closest and 10" at furthest. I scrog and I didnt quite keep the canopy as even as I usually do.

XavierFernandez

I cant seem to edit my previous post (Is editing not allowed here?) and I forgot to answer your other question.

They are 72v @ 700ma. I just went and measured and the avg distance is about 9" with the closest being 5" exactly. Along the edges, some of the smaller colas are obviously further than 12". Here is a pic of my 2 girls:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1442533257497_1442533315197 - Copy.jpg
    1442533257497_1442533315197 - Copy.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 36

REALSTYLES

Problem with lenses is the internal COB chip temps are much higher then if you dont have a lenses installed, which in turn will shorten life span, or you will have to run them at a lower amperage, for grow lights, it will be better to run with out lenses at a slightly higher amperage then with lenses.

peace
Sorry but you are incorrect about that. I'm doing a test with them and the only thing I see different is the light is more focusing more downwards and not bouncing off the walls as much.

REALSTYLES

I cant seem to edit my previous post (Is editing not allowed here?) and I forgot to answer your other question.

They are 72v @ 700ma. I just went and measured and the avg distance is about 9" with the closest being 5" exactly. Along the edges, some of the smaller colas are obviously further than 12". Here is a pic of my 2 girls:View Image
Looking very good XavierFernandez

They are 72v @ 700ma. I just went and measured and the avg distance is about 9" with the closest being 5" exactly. Along the edges, some of the smaller colas are obviously further than 12". Here is a pic of my 2 girls:View Image

Appreciate.

Ive got 4 cxb 3590 cd 72v. Im a little more spaced than you. First run on this rig. Its 4 cxb and 4 v29 in 10² with UVB.

XavierFernandez

Looking very good XavierFernandez

Thanks Realstyles. Your builds we're the final push I needed to build my own.
Appreciate.

Ive got 4 cxb 3590 cd 72v. Im a little more spaced than you. First run on this rig. Its 4 cxb and 4 v29 in 10² with UVB.
NP.

Admittedly, its crowded in there. I wasn't prepared for the speed at which these vegged and ran out of room in a hurry. Thats a half of a partitioned 8x4... so 16 sq ft. Right now there's 8 COB's. 4 more going in (CXB3590 3500k this time) which, if un-dimmed at 700ma, will place me at over 1000 ppfd if memory serves me right.

Is there a particular reason not to run two 72V CXB3590 COBs on a single hlg-185h-1400a? I would be running them much harder than has been suggested but it should still work with adequate cooling, right?

C

CannaBuilding

Is there a particular reason not to run two 72V CXB3590 COBs on a single hlg-185h-1400a? I would be running them much harder than has been suggested but it should still work with adequate cooling, right?

The more amps, more heat, less efficient.

Was running 4x vero's at 1.8amps, then put them down to 1.5amps cab temps dropped by 2 - 3f, and the brightness between 1.8amps and 1.5amps is barely noticeable, probably about 1000 lumens of brightness lost, would of left them at 1.8a if it was not summer here.

If you really want to know how efficient the COBS are, they have a spec papers on the cree and bridgelux website, check out the efficiency graph.

Peace.

440 watts of cobs in 1 square meter. They drink and grow twice more.

2 weeks ++ of 12/12

Sorry for the crappy pics

Attachments

• IMG10100.jpg
    IMG10100.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG10101.jpg
    IMG10101.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG10102.jpg
    IMG10102.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 34
The more amps, more heat, less efficient.

Was running 4x vero's at 1.8amps, then put them down to 1.5amps cab temps dropped by 2 - 3f, and the brightness between 1.8amps and 1.5amps is barely noticeable, probably about 1000 lumens of brightness lost, would of left them at 1.8a if it was not summer here.

If you really want to know how efficient the COBS are, they have a spec papers on the cree and bridgelux website, check out the efficiency graph.

Peace.

I appreciate that response, and I understand that driving it harder will of course develop more heat and lower efficiency. However that wasn't really my question. If the max rating is 132w, i would think running it at 75% capacity (100w) wouldn't substantially degrade the performance. Additionally, if these last me two years i'll be thrilled and by then would want to upgrade. i'm looking to replace roughly 2500w of philips CDM 315w with CREE COB. I'm also planning to run large heatsinks from heatsinkusa that are place inside a ducted box for forced air cooling. so if i can buy 14-16 CXB3590 and 7-8 meanwell drivers, then it would be a lot cheaper than double the COBs.

C

CannaBuilding

I appreciate that response, and I understand that driving it harder will of course develop more heat and lower efficiency. However that wasn't really my question. If the max rating is 132w, i would think running it at 75% capacity (100w) wouldn't substantially degrade the performance. Additionally, if these last me two years i'll be thrilled and by then would want to upgrade. i'm looking to replace roughly 2500w of philips CDM 315w with CREE COB. I'm also planning to run large heatsinks from heatsinkusa that are place inside a ducted box for forced air cooling. so if i can buy 14-16 CXB3590 and 7-8 meanwell drivers, then it would be a lot cheaper than double the COBs.

Greetings,

That makes sense with what you plan, running them at 100watts wont be as efficient as 75 watts, but would make up for the loss of lumens with less COBS, and they should last you more than 2 years as long as they are kept cool enough.

If your planning on doing what you said, then go ahead and you wont be dissapointed, but bare in mind, the heat they generate at 75w compared to 100w is noticeable and you will need some ventilation in your grow room, other than that, there shouldnt be a problem, and you will grow nice fat nugs.

Peace.

J

Jace G

REALSTYLES, thanks for making this thread. I'm a visual learner so all the pics helped me.

Hope you don't mind me posting couple shots of what I put together. I went small thinking more modules versus a bigger single panel would be better. This also allowed me to spend less money to get a better idea of how to assemble LED panels and see what the performance can be before I jumped in the deep end.

This was a pretty fun project. Went with 2x cxb3590 72v 3000k powered by the hlg-185h-c1050a. Driver is remotely mounted. The two 3590s mounted to a 5.88" x12 heatsink with two 80mm fans. The fans are a silent version so I am thinking of swapping them out for something with more airflow, its just what I had on hand from another project. I did a quick polish on the face of the heatsink.

I think I'm going to build one more to match this for a 2x4 tent.

Attachments

• IMG_20150928_185337.jpg
    IMG_20150928_185337.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20150928_185514.jpg
    IMG_20150928_185514.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 39

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES, thanks for making this thread. I'm a visual learner so all the pics helped me.

Hope you don't mind me posting couple shots of what I put together. I went small thinking more modules versus a bigger single panel would be better. This also allowed me to spend less money to get a better idea of how to assemble LED panels and see what the performance can be before I jumped in the deep end.

This was a pretty fun project. Went with 2x cxb3590 72v 3000k powered by the hlg-185h-c1050a. Driver is remotely mounted. The two 3590s mounted to a 5.88" x12 heatsink with two 80mm fans. The fans are a silent version so I am thinking of swapping them out for something with more airflow, its just what I had on hand from another project. I did a quick polish on the face of the heatsink.

I think I'm going to build one more to match this for a 2x4 tent.
Not at all I'm glad I was able to help. You don't need to polish the heatsinks lol I did my first panel but not the rest lol

Realstyles, can I get your input on a concept that I don't think I'm wording well? I have been thinking of doing a large bank of COBs for a low height SOG. Maybe a couple thousand watts. I am considering the method of cooling the units(heat is more of a concern than cold in my area) and am debating partitioning the heatsink part of the fixture into it's own space above the grow area. In other words have the lights flush with the top of the grow area, and the heatsinks above in a self-contained area. I am thinking that instead of utilizing fans for each unit, perhaps I could pass enough air through the self-contained chamber with a 6" or 8" fan the same way a cooltube works for a traditional HID bulb. If that worked it seems it would simplify the process of making these fixtures and also bring down the price. Of course it's only a "solution" to my specific design.

Firebrand

Could you please detail what coverage rates are (watts per square foot), and at what height from the canopy top?

Have you established optimal parameters?

I would like to build with your design, it looks like the real deal with regards towards economics, efficiency, ease of construction and sourcing of materials, and it is a nice fit for my application. My planned area is to be 26" wide and 65" long, by a maximum 48" tall (the tall is adjustable, width and length are not).

Thanks for the great thread.

Could you please detail what coverage rates are (watts per square foot), and at what height from the canopy top?

Have you established optimal parameters?

I would like to build with your design, it looks like the real deal with regards towards economics, efficiency, ease of construction and sourcing of materials, and it is a nice fit for my application. My planned area is to be 26" wide and 65" long, by a maximum 48" tall (the tall is adjustable, width and length are not).

Thanks for the great thread.

If you can provide 50 w per square foot it's very, very good. I use CXB 3070, at 60 watts each, i put 8 cob's in 1 m2, at 15 cm mini from the canopy and i get no bleaching, it's just good. I put the drivers outside the tent, so less heat inside. It's so cool, that now that summer has gone, i had to lower the exhaust to get 25°C inside the tent.