What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overly Aggressive Whitetail Deer

Hi growers,
At one of my grow sites lives a family of deer that is lead by a large buck deer with a full set of antlers. Last Sunday I went out to check on the patch and the buck was very aggressive. He was barking and snorting at me and trying to get me out of the forest. He came within 20 feet of me while snorting loudly. I kept throwing sticks at him and growling loud and he would run off, but then he would come back when he regained his confidence. I finally had to charge him and run full speed at him to get him and his mates to leave. The females actually startled me the most because they kept getting closer and peeking at me from the tall grass. They were trying to intimidate me.

These deer have overly aggressive behavior with foot stomping, barks, and snorts. Maybe there was bambi close.

I really hope this doesn't evolve into me having to stab a deer to death....:)

waveguide

Veteran
it probably thinks you're a threat. a good way to reinforce this idea would be to throw sticks and growl.

a japanese guy made a film called macross, and some white guys made it into a show for white people. in the show, a chinese girl stops war between two interstellar civilisations by singing. none of the white people who watched the show got that part of it, even though the show was very long to watch and had lots of singing.

try throwing sticks and growling again :)

hahahaha I'm not sure if you were telling a joke or not but thanks anyway. That made my day. :biggrin:

it probably thinks you're a threat. a good way to reinforce this idea would be to throw sticks and growl.

a japanese guy made a film called macross, and some white guys made it into a show for white people. in the show, a chinese girl stops war between two interstellar civilisations by singing. none of the white people who watched the show got that part of it, even though the show was very long to watch and had lots of singing.

try throwing sticks and growling again :)

RckyMtRdnk

It sounds like somebody has been feeding them or they know people somewhere. That's how the deer act out at my buddy's place is Arkansas, but he has several large corn feeders out on his land that he keeps full. They come runnin up like cattle chasin a truck with hay in it when he goes out to fill the feeders with corn. It's kinda comical to watch.

Deer meat is tasty stuff I must say...

sprinkl

Veteran
Females give birth to one to three spotted young, known as fawns, in mid- to late spring, generally in May or June. Fawns lose their spots during the first summer and weigh from 44 to 77 lb (20 to 35 kg) by the first winter. Male fawns tend to be slightly larger and heavier than females. For the first four weeks, fawns mostly lie still and hide in vegetation while their mothers forage. They are then able to follow their mothers on foraging trips. They are usually weaned after 8–10 weeks, but cases have been seen where mothers have continued to allow nursing long after the fawns have lost their spots (for several months, or until the end of fall) as seen by rehabilitators and other studies. Males leave their mothers after a year and females leave after two.

Maybe they just want to protect their little ones?

It's entirely possible they are being fed by a farmer around here. They were in good shape. Not overly skinny like some of them can get. Basically where I live is just scattered pockets of forest and farm fields.

You're right about deer being tasty, I had some smoked deer jerky about 10 years ago that was divine. An old classmate of mine had a dad that took a fresh roadkill deer, dressed it, and turned it into some amazing smoked jerky.

Thanks for your input. :)

It sounds like somebody has been feeding them or they know people somewhere. That's how the deer act out at my buddy's place is Arkansas, but he has several large corn feeders out on his land that he keeps full. They come runnin up like cattle chasin a truck with hay in it when he goes out to fill the feeders with corn. It's kinda comical to watch.

Deer meat is tasty stuff I must say...

Yeah my first thought was that there was a bambi hiding in the tall grass. My concern is that in Autumn, the buck is going to attack me when he is in rut. This is only the second time in my life that I have seen a buck so aggressive. I don't want this to end up like one of those youtube videos where a man is a attacked by a buck....:)

Maybe they just want to protect their little ones?

I am considering some deer repellent. I am also considering just bringing some cheap pepper spray with me. I would think that buck would high tail it out of the area if he got hit with some pepper spray?

Get yourself some deer scram and sprinkle it around your growing plot.

meadowman

As said the fawns were most likely near by. Does are way more aggressive then the bucks, don't stomp your foot or bend over( like bobbing head up n down), they will attack. Actually I'm really surprised the buck was there.
Grind up habanero' in blender with veggy oil, strain n put in spray bottle with h2o and a drop of dish soap....spray plants n surrounding vegetation up wind.

Thanks for your input. I will consider making a hot pepper repellant.

Yeah this buck seems to have himself at least two females and possibly a lil bambi he watching over. He must be a very responsible dad lol....:)

As said the fawns were most likely near by. Does are way more aggressive then the bucks, don't stomp your foot or bend over( like bobbing head up n down), they will attack. Actually I'm really surprised the buck was there.
Grind up habanero' in blender with veggy oil, strain n put in spray bottle with h2o and a drop of dish soap....spray plants n surrounding vegetation up wind.

mowood3479

Veteran
I've never encountered any aggressive whitetail or mule deer..... When my horses act like that I usually get out of their way but a deer... I wouldn't worry too much. A Whitetail deer killing or maiming a adult human isn't a common occurrence. Next time bring a paintball gun. A few shots and they won't bother u again.

Scrappy-doo

The deer scram works different than a repellant. Its made from leftovers from the cattle industry. When a deer smells it, it invokes a fear response because they smell dead animal and think there's a predator nearby. They won't want to hang out there. Works very well. A bonus is that it also feeds your plants.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get you a bb/pellet gun and shoot him in the ass. He'll remember that and stay away from you...lol

I won't lie. I was genuinely concerned. Especially when the buck started to approach me while snorting and barking. I just kept throwing sticks at him and went back to setting up my fence. He would run a little ways every time but then come right back even closer. Meanwhile, the females were approaching me from multiple directions in the tall grass and I started to actually have the hair stand on my neck. It was so creepy. Eventually I got sick and tired of their behavior and ran full speed straight at the buck. When the buck finally ran off the other deer followed him. I could see them jumping threw the tall grass and then disappear into the forest.
I've never encountered any aggressive whitetail or mule deer..... When my horses act like that I usually get out of their way but a deer... I wouldn't worry too much. A Whitetail deer killing or maiming a adult human isn't a common occurrence. Next time bring a paintball gun. A few shots and they won't bother u again.

Granger2

Veteran
Obviously protecting fawns. Order some coyote or better yet some big cat urine crystals. Lightly sprinkle it in spots forming a perimeter around your plot and route to it. They will stay away from the area for a long time. After a rain, reapply. It'll keep rabbits, etc. off your crop also. Doesn't repel, scares them off. Good luck. Deer can kill you. Check youtube. -granger