What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Playin' in the Woods 2015

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
(un)fashionably late to the party, but I prefer to stay in a state of constant departure while always arriving; it saves on introductions and goodbyes.

I'm germinating seeds today or tomorrow. The temp is supposed to drop to around 40 tomorrow night, so I might wait another day. Even with mini greenhouses, I'm sure a freshly germinated seed won't appreciate that low of a temperature.

Exact lineup yet to be determined. Will consist of:

Special Queen #1 by Royal Queen Seeds
Pineapple Chunk by Barney's Farm
Spontanica by KC Brains
Green Poison Fast Version by Sweet Seeds

My latitude is somewhere in the ballpark of 39-41 in good ol' dirt (poor) Appalachia.

I already have (dare I say?) everything I need for the season. Feeding with Jack's fertilizers, spraying with Karanja oil, silica, and aloe for general well-being and pest protection. Spraying with horsetail (equisetum arvense) for protection against mold.

Using the native soil. The soil is clay based, but it has a decent worm population. It also supports some pretty solid vegetation, so it obviously is decently fertile:
picture.php

picture.php

Being clay-based, I've just been pouring on the perlite. In fact, a good bit of perlite and some pulverized dolomite lime are the only amendments to the native soil. Whenever I plan the germinated seeds directly into the hole, I will mix in about 16 oz worth of my seedling mix, which is 2 parts Black Gold seed starter and 1/3 Fox Farm Ocean Forest. The seeds will go right into this added mix but will soon grow roots into the native soil itself. Fertilizers will be soon to follow.

Here are some pictures of a couple holes to give you a good idea of the soil in the area:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The soil is my biggest concern. Some places it looks nice, but others it looks a little bit too clumpy. Still, the worms seem to do just fine and, beneath the surface, it isn't too bad when I turn it over with my mattock. Kyg actually recommended digging holes with a mattock instead of a shovel and holy shit does it make life easier. Holes are dug in minutes.

The native soil should, at least, present heat stress because it retains water very well which is good, because these girls will be getting sun ALL FUCKING DAY!

This is the first and main plot I will be using, with an additional one or two elsewhere. No pictures of the others yet. This plot has 7 holes spread out over an area of about 1200 square yards (so a rectangle 40 long by 30 yards wide, roughly) and I plan on putting wither two or three seeds in each hole. All seeds are feminized, but I will be planting directly into the holes using clear plastic 20 oz cups as mini greenhouses, sand to protect from slugs, and 2 ft. chicken wire (painted green) to protect from deer. I expect to lose some seedlings starting this way, but even so, I've never been a multiple plant per hole kind of guy, but these straisn are all pretty mold resistant so if there is a problem, it will be the roots running into each other. The clay soil retains plenty of water to go around for 2 or 3 plants, I just hope the lack of room doesn't really impact them negatively.

All things considered, it should be a pretty good time. If nothing else, it's a blast just Being There. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks in advance for all of your input.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Nice, I'm following your guerrilla grow for sure...:wave:

Grazie, il mio amico! Visto il tuo grow anche :tiphat: Il mio italiano non e molto bene, but I'll try to follow along :biggrin:

Here are some photos I took today of my second plot location. The two photos are very close to each other, so I consider it one big plot where I will dig between 5 and 10 holes tomorrow.

picture.php

picture.php

I'm throwing some seeds in my germination machine this evening. Tomorrow I'm gonna put them out in the first plot where holes are already done. After I get them in place, off I go to plot #2 to do some more digging. Having a mattock makes things a hell of a lot easier, especially being late to the party like I am. Although I'm using native soil, there is plenty of vegetation around the areas I'm growing, so it isn't awful. I'm hoping the all-day sun will help make up for the soil being so-so.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Subbed! im growing the green poison fast version as well. its the most vigorous plant i have ever grown so far,i cant wait to see how both ours turn out. gl bro i know all to well about the appalachia dirt lol i told ya bro that mattock would make a huge differnce. i just dont see how ppl dig holes with shovels unless its really soft farm land lol which in the applachia mountians its rocky as hell. Here hoping for some mold free buds for us both this year.

Last edited:

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Shakira that spot looks alot like ones I choose! Very beautiful and you couldn't ask for a better location. I know you will do well here, make sure that bare ground is covered though at the base of the plants with some tall grass or vegetation. That really stands out from above. Also sprinkle some fertilizer around vegetation thats pressed down. Good luck this year 'll definitely stay tuned!

Xorc420

Grazie, il mio amico! Visto il tuo grow anche :tiphat: Il mio italiano non e molto bene, but I'll try to follow along :biggrin:

Here are some photos I took today of my second plot location. The two photos are very close to each other, so I consider it one big plot where I will dig between 5 and 10 holes tomorrow.

View Image

View Image

I'm throwing some seeds in my germination machine this evening. Tomorrow I'm gonna put them out in the first plot where holes are already done. After I get them in place, off I go to plot #2 to do some more digging. Having a mattock makes things a hell of a lot easier, especially being late to the party like I am. Although I'm using native soil, there is plenty of vegetation around the areas I'm growing, so it isn't awful. I'm hoping the all-day sun will help make up for the soil being so-so.

Haha nice man! We can talk English, it's not a problem for me :biggrin:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
So the green poison fast version is a good plant to outdoor?

so far its a great plant for me. i spoke with tommy from sweet seeds and hes at the same lat as i am 37. He also told me that it will be done flowering anywhere between end of august to 1st week in sept. this will be perfect for my climate bc august is always really hot and really dry. i think its one the most vigorous strains i have ever grew. Sharkiraloba grew it last year and was well pleased with it. the spot i got mine gets sun from 730am-830pm so i exspect it to have huge buds and potent smoke

Last edited:
First thing that strikes me looking at those photo's is it's too open; people when walking through the bush tend to take the path of least resistance, and that seems like the path they would take, straight through your grow.

In the first photo there seems to be an area of thick brush to the right of the photo, I would tunnel into that and clear out an area in the centre and grow there.

One of my spots, and this is an urban spot, you have to crawl into the entrance to a tunnel in the thicket on your elbows and knees, sometimes even get a bit lower.
And this spot is right near a fire trail, so close in fact that when I first set it up I was standing there in the grow and I saw the head and shoulders of a cyclist going past 20 yards away.
From then on it is always bend double or on hands and knees when in that spot.
Yet I still pulled 13 plants out of that spot last season.

There also seems to be a small hill in some of those photo's; people will head to features like that, and it seems like your grow area is on the path of least resistance to that hill.
I find a lot of new growers, and I know because I find their grows, they tend to grow in clearings.
They are taking the path of least resistance, the same path of least resistance as hikers or rippers will take.
I mean, area already cleared of undergrowth, easy to get to, no trees in the way that have to be cleared.
You have to be prepared to do harder things than rippers or hikers or hunters are prepared to do, go through the roughest terrain to get to your plot, crawl on hands and knees under obstacles etc.

But anyway I'm just going by the photo's, I would need to get boots on the ground to have a look at it.
If you pm me the GPS co-ordinates I will have a look at it for you and maybe give you a few pointers.

Last edited:

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
The pictures in the first post are not of the actual plots, just the surrounding vegetation to give an idea of what the area is like.

The actual plots I'm growing in are small clearings surrounded by vegetation. Natural clearings, but no signs of human presence.

They're not the most secluded areas, but I'm pretty confident in them. These plots are definitely off the beaten path.

One is on the back side of private land, the other is the backside of public land that is hunted, but I'm other areas. The hills I think you're referring to are mountains lol, and these plots are not on the path of least resistance to the top. These grows are not in small little patches of nature, they're in the middle of the sticks. No gas stations for miles, plenty of other, more easily accessed areas for the adventurous to roam.

It's no tough mudder, but I wouldn't consider them walks in the park either. Lots of thorns, lots of snakes.

Growing in clearings is convenient; yes it is stealthier to crawl 30 yards through thorns and then hack yourself out a clearing, but that takes lots of time and energy which, all things considered, are scarce resources.

I also spread my plants out. If someone finds two of them, there's no guarantee they'll find the other 6 nearby.

As far as the overturned dirt goes, I'm going to have to haul in foliage from another area to lay down on top of it. I don't want to be hacking away at shit in the general vicinity, just in case a keen eye were to walk by, even though it's a couple hundred yard hike from the nearest (and seldom traveled) trail.

Good news is the soil is really starting to look nice! Just gotta go heavy with the perlite.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Now that I think about it, I may just cover the holes with Peat moss. Will look discreet and I plan on top dressing later this season because the native soil retain water very well and with a top dress, the rain will feed the plants when I am unable to put a great deal more water/nutes in the holes.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Thats what i did as well Sharkiraloba on my plots. i brought in some old fallen leaves from last year to cover the dirt that was freshly dug. the leafs are also a good thing to much with as well.

gorilla ganja

Try clover as as a cover. Very easy to spread a couple handfuls of seed to conceal the ground from the sky. It is a great companion plant for MJ.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Try clover as as a cover. Very easy to spread a couple handfuls of seed to conceal the ground from the sky. It is a great companion plant for MJ.

Anything you'd recommend for covering tracks? There are some little spots here and there where I'd like the grass to grow a little taller. Probably will just throw fertilizer down.

Got my first batch of seeds out in holes today. 7 Green Poison, 5 Special Queen, and some freebies.

Saw a rattlesnake today. I don't really mind rattlesnakes THAT much, they're pretty chill. Fuck copperheads though, they're fucking assholes. Aggressive, stubborn, stinky, and just downright mean.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Anything you'd recommend for covering tracks? There are some little spots here and there where I'd like the grass to grow a little taller. Probably will just throw fertilizer down.

Got my first batch of seeds out in holes today. 7 Green Poison, 5 Special Queen, and some freebies.

Saw a rattlesnake today. I don't really mind rattlesnakes THAT much, they're pretty chill. Fuck copperheads though, they're fucking assholes. Aggressive, stubborn, stinky, and just downright mean.
i just got back from one my plots and i sowed some grass seed and threw out some granular ferts. i also filled up a few 5 gallon buckets with leafs from last fall to cover my tracks. i had a small setback on my green posion Fv about 3 days ago.. that was the only plant that i didnt put a cage on it and it was in all ocean forest well something dug the shit out that soil. i got to looking around and i didnt see my GP and i was like FUCK! but i got to digging around in the soil just to check shit out and it was covered up and completely buried. So i got the soil off it watered it good and also put a drop of superthrive in the gallon of water i was giving to it. i went to check on it today and guess what its leaves are back praying like a mfer and its gonna live!!!!! that little bitch fought hard to live so now im gonna baby it LOL i got rocks all around the cage now so it will take a bear to get to it this time. the spot i got it in is kinda like the spot u got ur plants. it will get sun from 7-730am to 80-830 at nite of direct sun so i exspect it to grow into a monster plant

Last edited:

gorilla ganja

[QUOTE=ShakiraLoba; Anything you'd recommend for covering tracks? There are some little spots here and there where I'd like the grass to grow a little taller. Probably will just throw fertilizer down.

Grass is the worst for leaving paths. I try not to take the exact same path every time. Even a few feet further down the trail before I break off towards the patch.

Check out your native plants. Transplant all kinds of different native plants to camouflage entries paths and make getting near the patch a nightmare for anyone.