What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5x25 raised beds

robertfaceplant

My raised bed garden was tested: 5x25
ph-7
om-6.3%
p-174ppm
k-352ppm

want to bring ph down 6.8 what should i add? was thinking of adding 1lb of iron sulfate

I need a high level of N, the labs suggestion was salt based ferts at a 34-4-4. No salt based this year. Should I apply one source of N or apply one type, till in and then side dress with another source?

My thoughts on amounts:
10lbs alfalfa
5lbs soybean meal
2.2lbs bloodmeal

I will be adding 2 year aged equal balanced compost and a leaf compost, 15 gal of each mixed with 2-30lb bags of ewc

thanks for the help!

barnyard

coffee grounds are an excellent idea and add N and lowering pH but are limited in other nutes

iron sulfate is a salt...bloodmeal N is too fast for this application, IMO...alfalfa is an excellent general purpose fertilizer and soil conditioner...don't know much about soy bean meal although cottonseed meal is also a good general purpose fertilizer which is also has high acidity so will lower pH

best of luck!

robertfaceplant

so would i be better served to use a high N guano for the slow release? what happens if the blodmeal is added with not active growing plants in the bed, are nutes stored or breakdown?
point wise, how many will the cottonseed meal drop the ph?
These beds wont be planted until net month, I just want to give healthy plants a running start
thanks

S

StanKDanK

you can add peat moss to lower your ph and i like to use gypsum as a natural ph buffer
honestly 7.0 is not bad becuase you should be shooting for a 6.8ph
sulfate of potash can also lower ph

Granger2

Veteran
Unless it claims to be organic the Soy will almost certainly be GMO, and that means it's been sprayed with Round-Up. There will be residue.

Blood meal is fast release, not to mention seriously repulsive and possibly unhealthy, being hard to apply/mix without breathing it.

Most high N guano will release most of its N quickly, since it is in the form of highly soluble piss.

I'd go with Alfalfa and/or Neem cake. Good luck. -granger

robertfaceplant

with my P and K being on the high side will adding alfalfa with 2-1-2 value be an issue?

what to add or remove from my list 5x25
1lb neem cake
10 lbs alfalfa meal
60 lbs ewc
20 gallons of balanced compost
10 gal leaf compost

i want to lower ph a bit what do i add?

thanks for the responses from all you guys, just leads me to more reading and knowledge.