What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Passive butane recovery

Can anyone tell me a way is there butane storage container that I could simply pour liquid butane into? Something like a giant thermos?

I'm using standard lab glassware with cooling baths and cold fingers to keep the entire extraction around -40C. The entire setup is enclosed in inert atmosphere in order to exclude water vapor, thus preventing ice buildup.

After I have purged the butane and recondensed it in a flask to -40C I want pour it in a storage container and store it at room temp.

Any ideas?

dontask

u can build one out of triclamp parts. and for longtimestorage u can fill it from the triclamptank into a gasbottle. but why u dont make all in a closed loop? would be much more safe and easy.

Spectre thats sorta what I need. I assume the N2 dewars are so expensive because they withstand very high pressure and -196C. Since butane has relatively low vapor pressure and the lowest temp I'll use is -78C, is there a cheaper option out there in the 5L-35L range?

Dontask, since the butane will be recovered it will be closed loop. I currently extracting at lab scale, but I'm trying to work out an inexpensive soak extraction and passive recovery that can be scaled up.
Being able to run 10+ lbs at a time and recover without pumps using only dry ice, iso alcohol, ice, and salt would be killer.

MrSpectre

Here is 4 liters for $90. If you search dewar flask on amazon you can get some very large containers but at a price...

dontask

hey now im confused a little ;)
how do u remove all atmosphere from the glassware and the thermos bottle?
for a passive soak and recovery system u can build a soakvalve into a tami/lil terp design like mr. extractor did it.

hey now im confused a little ;)
how do u remove all atmosphere from the glassware and the thermos bottle?

I've got a homemade laboratory glove box. I'm replacing the air with inert atmosphere (co2, N2, argon) - I'm using co2

There are 2 valves on top for gas inlet and vac.

Method 1: put a big chunk of dry ice in the glovebox with all the glassware/thermos, open vac valve and let the heavier Co2 push the lighter air out the top

Method 2: Connect Co2 tank to gas inlet, connect vacuum aspirator to vac valve. Evacuate and refill the glove box 3 times. This method is obviously more precise and thorough in removing all air

dontask

thx for the explanation.
you gonna need a preety big glovebox if u want to scale the process up. ��
how many soaks u r doing?
i guess you r aware bout it, just wanted to mention, that u shouldnt fill the storagecontainer more than 80%, and let some space for the butan to expand without blasting it through temperature change.

thx for the explanation.
you gonna need a preety big glovebox if u want to scale the process up. ��
how many soaks u r doing?

Yes the glovebox is an issue for scaling up, that is the main cost I see for this passive system. Hopefully a huge glovebox will still be less costly than buying a high throughput closed loop system.

I do 2 soaks for each container of buds using fresh butane each time

OregonKushFarm

You lost me totally...... You want to pour butane into a collection flask and then store it at room temp?

This glove box you speak of must be pretty big.

Do you have dimensions of this "glove box"?

Maybe we can suggest a solution with more info.

Thanks

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can anyone tell me a way is there butane storage container that I could simply pour liquid butane into? Something like a giant thermos?

I'm using standard lab glassware with cooling baths and cold fingers to keep the entire extraction around -40C. The entire setup is enclosed in inert atmosphere in order to exclude water vapor, thus preventing ice buildup.

After I have purged the butane and recondensed it in a flask to -40C I want pour it in a storage container and store it at room temp.

Any ideas?

A simple thermos is made like a vacuum insulated Dewar.

I picked the idea up from Jump 117, and we did some pristine extractions using one.

I would share the site with you, but unfortunately I deleted it along with open blasting with a tube, because of the number of folks blowing things up.

You lost me totally...... You want to pour butane into a collection flask and then store it at room temp?

Do you have dimensions of this "glove box"?

Thanks

OKF, yes I want to pour super cold butane into the thermos inside the glovebox and store it outside the glove box at room temp after the extraction. The glovebox is 4' width x 2' depth x 3' height, polycarbonate and wood construction. 3' height still easily fits a frac distillation setup w/ 500mm vigreux. Very simple, anyone here could build one of these in a couple hours.

GW, a large (cheap) thermos is exactly what I need, I'll keep looking for one.

~Alaska~

So a thermos will hold the pressure of room temp liquidid butane? Sounds scary to me. below the boiling point of duty and it should be fine, but once pressure begins to build I would be concerned personally.

dontask

hey i also think that a thermos cant hold the pressure at roomtemperatur for storage.
i still think a selfmade tank with triclampparts is not much more expensive than a thermos and u can have it pressure rated up to 1000psi.
hey greywolf, like so many others, i also want to say thank you for a lot of inspiration!
what do you think, can a thermos hold butan at roomtemp?
if i remember it right you also said its better to fill it from a triclamptank into an tank made for the purpose of longtimestoring, like a gasbottle.
thanks for any advice.
greetings from spain.

hey i also think that a thermos cant hold the pressure at roomtemperatur for storage.
i still think a selfmade tank with triclampparts is not much more expensive than a thermos and u can have it pressure rated up to 1000psi.
hey greywolf, like so many others, i also want to say thank you for a lot of inspiration!
what do you think, can a thermos hold butan at roomtemp?
if i remember it right you also said its better to fill it from a triclamptank into an tank made for the purpose of longtimestoring, like a gasbottle.
thanks for any advice.
greetings from spain.

If thin plastic lighters can hold butane at room temp I would think a metal thermos would do fine. Butane has a pretty low vapor pressure

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So a thermos will hold the pressure of room temp liquidid butane? Sounds scary to me. below the boiling point of duty and it should be fine, but once pressure begins to build I would be concerned personally.

We didn't seal the thermos and the butane stayed liquid due to its low temperature.