What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plants so sticky fungus gnats stick to them?

L

larry badiner

i already put out yellow traps, nothing yet but i have found about 100 fungus gnats on my blue kush plant.. its super sticky but there gnats on the buds and under/on the leaves

how can i get rid of the gnats on my plant? so far I've been picking them out but i can't find all of them. i also know a guy who makes extracts, if i can't find a use ill have to chuck about 2oz of good, sticky, blueberry smelling bud

Miraculous Meds

Use the yellow traps like u are and they will catch most of the new gnats that pop out. Trim out the ones that are already stuck. I don't think they will hurt u if u smoke some of them. I wouldn't worry about it if it was for myself. If ur selling it make sure u look closely to get them all. 2 oz is not much to look thru to get them all off.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
It happens, yes. Dang bugs. Note the stowaway on the Triple Diesel - Gnatty-Dread - Relative of the Mosquito - Not a welcome guest.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm using microbelift BMC to kill gnats/ flying insects that come from soil....
its just BTI.... like in mosquito dunks.... keep soil wet with BTI and gnats are gone pretty soon. no more gnats on buds....

L

larry badiner

Use the yellow traps like u are and they will catch most of the new gnats that pop out. Trim out the ones that are already stuck. I don't think they will hurt u if u smoke some of them. I wouldn't worry about it if it was for myself. If ur selling it make sure u look closely to get them all. 2 oz is not much to look thru to get them all off.

trimming the bugs out sounds good, atleast i can get some smoke out of it..

Putting a clip-on fan (or something) to blow over the topsoil ended all my problems with fungus gnats, as their larvae thrive in the top inch or so of the soil, and they cant live in dry soil (or coco in my case). Saw the number of adult gnats drop from few hundreds to zero in a about week, I still have a yellow trap hanging around in the tent but so far there have been no catches in the last few weeks... I'm planning to take that fucker down too, my hair keeps getting stuck in it.

-mm

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
If your using coco rinse it with boiling water. I haven't seen a flier in two months, and I only used bti once on everything as well. I get cocotek bricks instead of bagged because it will it in my oven, I bake it for a good two or three hours on 300, and then expand with boiling water, and rinse with hot water. It's worked well and is a lot cheaper than buying a bucket of mosquito bits or gnatrol every other week

L

larry badiner

L

larry badiner

If your using coco rinse it with boiling water. I haven't seen a flier in two months, and I only used bti once on everything as well. I get cocotek bricks instead of bagged because it will it in my oven, I bake it for a good two or three hours on 300, and then expand with boiling water, and rinse with hot water. It's worked well and is a lot cheaper than buying a bucket of mosquito bits or gnatrol every other week

I'm using soil.. i think i got gnats from leaving pots with soil from my previous grow in my grow room.. either that or the came from outside :(

make sure you are dealing with gnats and not winged root aphids.

start drenching the soil weekly with full strength ogbiowar foliar pack that should take out gnats, and put a serious dent in root aphids.

L

larry badiner

make sure you are dealing with gnats and not winged root aphids.

start drenching the soil weekly with full strength ogbiowar foliar pack that should take out gnats, and put a serious dent in root aphids.

the insects do look a little beatley.. how do i know if i got winged root aphids? and do they require a grow room sterilization?

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
the insects do look a little beatley.. how do i know if i got winged root aphids? and do they require a grow room sterilization?

Aphids have cornices and they have fatter torso, fungus mats have a distinguished front and ass end with a skinny middle seperating both ends

L

larry badiner

Aphids have cornices and they have fatter torso, fungus mats have a distinguished front and ass end with a skinny middle seperating both ends

i got a pic, i think i have fungus gnats, i can take a better pic if you want

also heres the plant thats affected, been talking to a friend who owns a club and he might take it off my hands, just need to bring the plant in and have him look at it

doesn't look too frosty but it was one of the most frosty plants I've grown in a while, you can notice the crystal buildup on the leaves

L

larry badiner

you think i can water cure and remove the fungus gnats or aphids in the leaves that way? I've smoked water cure before and its great for blunts.. brings out the flavor of the cigar

waveguide

Veteran
gnats are no joke, i've fought on the frontier for years.. they still decimated my current grow...

some good news:

i notice gnats tend to have "sacred cemeteries" or something, like.. 12 big plants, but only like a few buds here and there have corpses on.. depending on how your schedule is going for the control methods you pick, if you find the ones they like, it could be worth leaving them there to keep them from bothering other buds..

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Yeah the gnats aren't poisonous, just not very tasty either. You could just blast it all, nobody's gonna complain about wax

RonSmooth

Veteran
I got a case of gnats when I let my room slip. Blumats might be the best and worst thing for my grow. I got lax with alge in the tray, spilled coco, dead leaves; just sloppy overall. Blumats and coco nearly run themselves. Easy lead to lazy.

I cleaned the room proper and am going to do what I should have done first- cover pots with builders sand. Stop the reproductive cycle.

If there are a couple gnats on a bud, remove them. Trust me, you have done grosser things with bugs without being aware. If there are so many that you would consider water curing- stop growing and deal with the gnats.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Yellow traps are cheap and effective. A fan on the top level of the soil, also keeps the flying gnats off balance.