What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lights for Seedlings

theclearspot

Ok Im not a complete beginner but im reading a lot of conflicting info on the suitable lighting for seedlings just germinated. Im planning to put them eventually into the Greenhouse.
So some recommend T5 flourescent tubes, others say put them on the windowsill, others say HID Metal Halide lamps. I usually use normal household bulbs these are 69W energy saving types.
So what do people use for their seedlings? thanks in advance...:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
been using T5s for years but am contemplating LEDs.

EDIT: although I currently have a couple out on the back porch (first time)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
whatever you want to use..hid, floros,cfl whatever....they all work...yeehaw..I have used them all at times...don't use regular incandescent bulbs...

theclearspot

Ok guys thanks. I have bought a small T5 flourescent tube its 13W and I have it about 10cm above the seedlings. See how it goes. Probably do just as well on the windowsill but cant guarantee sunny days where I am ...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Ok guys thanks. I have bought a small T5 flourescent tube its 13W and I have it about 10cm above the seedlings. See how it goes. Probably do just as well on the windowsill but cant guarantee sunny days where I am ...

they will soon need some sleep, do you have a timer for night time (18 on, 6 off)?

symbiote420

Veteran
Seedlings can handle as much light as you throw at em..... but heat is another matter! As long as it's not too hot and dry on them they should grow well under any light source. I 2nd not using the incandescents' though unless you want the stretchiest seedlings ever, just too much red spectrum!!

theclearspot

they will soon need some sleep, do you have a timer for night time (18 on, 6 off)?
Yeah Snook I dont have a timer I generally just switch it on in the morning and switch off at night so they get about 15hrs light I reckon. As you can see not very scientific but tends to work somehow....:)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Yeah Snook I dont have a timer I generally just switch it on in the morning and switch off at night so they get about 15hrs light I reckon. As you can see not very scientific but tends to work somehow....:)

$5-$6 at Lowes/HomeDepot.. irregular timing will result in hermies.. 'rekoning' will fail after some time. Just saying..

OneStonedPony

I always use 6500k T5's for my seedlings, with very good results. I want to buy and try some LED's, but not the cheap low wattage ones from China. I hear the 14 watt panels on eBay are crap.

theclearspot

$5-$6 at Lowes/HomeDepot.. irregular timing will result in hermies.. 'rekoning' will fail after some time. Just saying..
Hmm thats interesting and I genuinely didnt realise that. I was thinking that is something to worry about after the seedling stage which , as I grow in a Greenhouse, the lighting is consistent obviously.So you are saying my 15hr (approx) seedling lighting could cause hermies. Is it the lack of a full 18hrs which is the problem or the variation in number of hours I am giving them? thanks

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hmm thats interesting and I genuinely didnt realise that. I was thinking that is something to worry about after the seedling stage which , as I grow in a Greenhouse, the lighting is consistent obviously.So you are saying my 15hr (approx) seedling lighting could cause hermies. Is it the lack of a full 18hrs which is the problem or the variation in number of hours I am giving them? thanks

you are correct, if in seedling stage, little worries about timing variations.. but sooner or later, the physiology of the plant can be affected.
I didn't realize you were in a green house either... sorry..

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Don't use digital timers- they fuck up in a power failure. Get the cheap mechanical ones, they last fa couple years, and won't mess you up as bad if there's a power outage.
***If the power goes off and right back on, for example, the digital timer is likely to "forget" its programming, and just blink 12:00, like VCR's used to do. The mechanical ones just keep rocking.
mgaeNdtJ0-Mux_zjCJaiKKQ.jpg

jmike

Who says you can't teach a old dawg new trix, I didn't realize the lighting could cause hermies either...
The more I read the more I learn this place is so helpful in growing your own meds.

Peace

barnyard

nothing works better than real Sun

nothing works better than real Sun

hubert's og (the two plants in front look like male and female, n'est pas?)
and jasper tomato

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

theclearspot

you are correct, if in seedling stage, little worries about timing variations.. but sooner or later, the physiology of the plant can be affected.
I didn't realize you were in a green house either... sorry..

Thanks Snook yeah Im only in Greenhouse. I would prob have a room full of Hermies if I was indoors. Would like to try that at some stage though just havent the space or equipment...cheers:laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts