What's new

SOG Mendo Purps...erm... Sea of Purple?! :P

Originally had some mendo purps runnin, but these Chem D's just really wanted to get flowered first lol

20 clones taken evening 4/09 put into clone dome, sprayed, oxygenated, added cannazym to 0.6EC, 5.8ph. Clone dome is sitting on a heated blanket to aid the root growth due to warmer substrate.

Humidity has been at 99% for 48hrs. At 72, pictured above we were dropping to 93%, and now at day four we want to drop to 85-90%, which were are currently at.

You can see some yellowing of the tips here, but also some darker spots.

More to come!
-Kweku Ananse

Last edited:
I think I kept the root cubes too moist, and this slowed root development. Six of the twenty clones showed zero roots popping when we put them into solo cups last night. Cubes got a dusting of endo/bennie inoculant powder, and then put into coco in solo cups with a solution of Dominion Organics Root Rocket at full dose as per the feeding chart on the website. 4ml/g. The bottle says 1ml/g, and most people max out at 1/2 the feed chart, so when I start watering with this nute, I'll back off to 1ml/g, slowly increasing to 2ml/g. I decided to go a bit more with this since I added in nothing else besides CALiMAGic to 0.3ec plus a tablespoon of guano tea to feed the bennie powder on the cube, as well as added some of this powder to my coco soak. I'll water in a couple days when these shits dry out.

Depending on the condition of the clones, I'll do up to 16 plants in 3 gal. smart pots. Been contemplating fewer/larger plants lately, just gotta get that veg time dialed in with the rest of the rotation in the perpetual garden. If I "have time" to grow them bigger due to no room in the flower tent, then I'll veg them larger and do fewer, at this point space is no issue, and since I don't even have all three tents needed for my perpetual I think I'll just start with more/smaller plants, and adapt my plant age/life cycles from there.

Yes! Air movement! I love to see the green jiggle. :)

Here is a better look. Healthiest plants are prioritized to the middle. The four I've decided not to use due to their procrastination on root growth are the two at the top of the frame, and the two outer cups on the closest row. Thinking about letting these four do their thing, and perhaps just flower them later, since they will never "catch up." Or they will get the axe... :p

Thanks for looking!
-K. Ananse

Last edited:
So the rejects never caught up... they were replaced with some clones taken from my flowering plants. But this isn't a diary for them... But a picture nonetheless:

Okay... back to the PURPS!

Doing just fine. Most are hardening off, showing the ribby dark green new growth. Currently foliar feeding some organics, and guano/compost tea. I water the coco to runoff every three to four days. Ironically the ones with the strongest roots are the yellowest ones... can anyone explain that to me?

Put the two 6" fans into the flowering plants' tent to aid with airflow below/through the canopy and replaced them with the 12" oscillator on LO... works fine. Might help dry the plants out a bit more... I have this feeling that I'm slowing them down by watering their leaves too frequently... can anyone recommend a schedule? Is it time to increase my nutrient levels? Are those leaves still yellow cause they crave N and Fe? Zinc? I haven't been paying enough attention to these babies and I feel I should have transplanted a long time ago, and need to get them on a better (perhaps less often) feed water schedule? The fans are usually on, as well as the light, so my foliar feedings probably dry quickly enough... I digress...

4" exhaust blows into a 4x4x6 wye connecting the other "flower" tent to a 6" flange on my dehumidifier chamber.

Another 6" flange positioned downwind of the dehumidifier exhaust vent splits via a 6x6x6 wye flowing intake through 6" ducting into each of the tents.

Things are okay... slow to start, gotta get the hang of propagation... I'm failing miserably at it currently. LOL! I'll get there.

Peace
-Kweku Ananse

For the record, earlier today when I was gently tilling the top layer of coco for gas exchange I spied a few healthy roots all the way out to the cup. I know they are getting good root development... Maybe its true I just need to up the N and introduce the micros...

Learning...
-KA

theJointedOne

Veteran
No problem. Im hanging out in Seattle for the summer, nice city...good hash :p

Do you happen to have any seeds you can sprout to replace some of the weaker clones? Also I saw there are lots of nice looking clones on Craigslist here for not a bad price. Not saying yours wont work, but you could save a few headaches down the road and some time too by replacing the haggered clones (which could take up to two weeks to bounce back) with some healthier ladies.

I see you said your new to this... Well if I can offer some advice.. Don't be afraid to kill a plant...don't get emotionally attached to them until they are big and bare fruit. Small plants and seedlings really are countless, and easily replaceable.

Also young plants don't need full doses of ferts, usually1/3 dose is plenty till they are decent sized.

Do you happen to have any seeds you can sprout to replace some of the weaker clones? Also I saw there are lots of nice looking clones on Craigslist here for not a bad price. Not saying yours wont work, but you could save a few headaches down the road and some time too by replacing the haggered clones (which could take up to two weeks to bounce back) with some healthier ladies.

I see you said your new to this... Well if I can offer some advice.. Don't be afraid to kill a plant...don't get emotionally attached to them until they are big and bare fruit. Small plants and seedlings really are countless, and easily replaceable.

Also young plants don't need full doses of ferts, usually1/3 dose is plenty till they are decent sized.

I am new so I greatly appreciate all the help I can get! If you notice my earlier post, I have 7 newer clones in the dome that replaced "laggers" I killed. Already have no problems in the culling dept. I have no intention of getting any other clones, just adjusting my grow technique. I'm pretty sure that initial intent to SOG them will turn into some LST and topping with 8 plants instead of 16, and with the others that will take too long to catch up, grow those 4 longer, bigger, and SCROG them. And there is one that I've been thinking of killing, but I don't want to waste a cup/cube/coco... so thinking about REALLY waiting on that one til she grows enough to spawn more clones. I am patient, and the clones are healthy... just about to start popping, I can tell. Most are already over the hump so to speak, and I'll just grow the ones that are ready, and wait for the laggers to catch up, and grow them out when they are ready. I already have a second tent halfway through, so it will be open by the time the slower ones are good to go. :) Quazi perpetual at this point. Still learning.

Thanks again!
-Kweku

Looks good keep us posted

Man, I'll be sure to take some pictures. I've been setting up CO2 delivery and dealing with spider mites for the last week. Clones are doing okay... a few of them are right on track, showing some vigor, most are about to be there, and a couple are a bit yellow and purple... most of the stems are a bit purple as well, but the original clone that these plants came from was a bit red stemmed until it got a bit bigger and more vigorous... I'm reading the plants as needing to dry out more... My natural instinct is to water plants. Period. I'm learning to just withhold the water and feed, which is what has given them this burst of growth (minuscule as it may be...).

I'm learning more about plant/nutrient uptake physiology, including cation antagonists and a few other things I can't remember terms for yet... Still studying the chemistry... Basically, coco likes to grab and hold onto phosphorus and/or potassium (can't remember which - gotta keep reading), but Ca and Mg can unlock it? I really rinsed this coco and have probably kept it too moist during this rooting phase.

Like I said, I'll post pictures really soon. :)
-Kweku

dissolute

mostly rinse coco with feed water, basically flush at the level you want to feed, by watering fully, waiting like 5 minutes, and then watering again. (sorry i'm a little medicated) keep the humidity levels within the white range on a VPD chart. feed them for the rate of growth expected, not just the plant size. never till your coco, it is completely unnecessary. as your plants are small, you should let the entire coco dry to light brownness but still water before wilt occurs.

mostly rinse coco with feed water, basically flush at the level you want to feed, by watering fully, waiting like 5 minutes, and then watering again. (sorry i'm a little medicated) keep the humidity levels within the white range on a VPD chart. feed them for the rate of growth expected, not just the plant size. never till your coco, it is completely unnecessary. as your plants are small, you should let the entire coco dry to light brownness but still water before wilt occurs.

Thanks for the advice! I currently do water them this way. Currently at 0.4 ec of CaMg, my water starts at 30-40 ppm from the tap, and add about 0.2 of my A+B totaling a 0.6 ec... I do believe I need to increase my nute strength overall, as I did not buffer the coco after rinsing it again, though I'm not sure how much remained. And now I've come to understand that K can help the uptake of Fe, perhaps fixing my chlorosis, and as I continue to add in the CaMg, it should release P from being bound to the coco, as the Ca builds up over time. So, yeah, I let them dry out a lot nowadays, and I'm thinking next step is increase light intensity and feed. They don't seem over watered or wilting, just look hungry to me, most of all. And +1 on that VPD, I'm already all over that ish.

Pics tonight I promise LOL!
-Kweku

Update!
Put a Black Dog 240w LED in place of the T5, jumping from 192w to 450w ("LED watts" - what the company suggests is comparable).

I also intend to increase the feed today, as the plants will proably need another 0.1 ec of A+B to hang in with the new power they're getting from the wattage increase.

All clones, despite deficiencies/ neglect, have all turned around and are showing lush green shoots. Awesome. It was due to this fact I decided to up the light intensity. They are finally operating like plants, rather than simply waiting to die like broken off branches... Next time I clone I will definitely keep everything (except the initial rh%) much drier.

The lower-right five cups are Ak-47, Cookies Kush, and a single Chemdawg '91. I figured out how to clone after my first attempt with a 100% too wet, rotted, failure rate. Of the seven clones I took from my wk2 flowering plants, those five are already rooted and revegging, but the two Dr. Grinspoon clones are struggling... I believe they are just too small... I need to take larger cuttings, like the ones that have made it out of the dome. Grinspoon is still in there... probably going to be thrown out, and maybe my next cutting will root. IDK!

Closer up of the five mentioned above, and the rest of the Mendo Purps.

Other side closeup.

These two were my slowest/most deficient laggers, though when the cubes were pulled from the tray and transplanted into a cup of coco, they had the strongest root growth... curious...

Everything is cranking here, won't be long til those plants start flowering. Woo!

-Kweku

Dready_jake

Clones sometimes yellow as they relocate nutrients to build roots by if they get too burnt up before rooting it will be stunted. And all leaf issues except a light N deficiency will remain until new growth shows it was fixed. (Light N deficiencies do get green again in my experience) So if they're growing don't fix wat isn't broke. If lower leafs start to yellow then a slight increase in PPM's are warranted. Down let older scars interfere with your diagnosis of issues if you already fixed that issue before and the scars aren't worsening

On to good grower tip #56:
(you figured this out on your own but worth reiterating)
Always take more clones than you intend to flower or veg... Anything could happen and its easier to replace with an already rooted clone than to clone one. (Faster too) everything looks good tho sorry I missed the thread but like i said if you ever want me in a room just shoot me a link lol

CoCoSativas

Nice grow kweku.

That would be dope, buying and selling clones on craigslist. Fuck I should move to seattle.
Thats funny you got a whole bunch of strains like me. I cant help it im hooked on having all sorts of stuff.

I, like you my friend, are without camera at the moment... working on acquiring a charger soon. :)

And YES! So far my keepers are:

Ak-47... super fat n crystalline!
Chemdawg '91... So sticky icky icky, my arms are like flypaper after just reaching to a plant further back!!!
Cookies Kush... Looks like its gonna be a heavy yielder once dialed in, and its got an interesting odor to it... might taste like... cookies? Anyway :) it won a cup last year for best indica or something...

The mendo purp, I'm going to part with... just not looking crystalline enough for my tastes. I mean, she's gottem, but I doubt this plant is going to be too good... I might keep her once my temps are in check, probably not til next grow, maybe she'll put out once she's cooled off!

Dr. Grinspoon... I've got a couple of these clones rooted... But its not a legitimate phenotype... just a nice purply haze... looks like its gonna take forever, and probably not going to yield much, so not the greatest strain to run when I'm just getting started.

Aaaaaand!!!!! Just found a viable seed in some SPACE CANDY from the dispensary... Its been wrapped in moist paper towel since last night while I soaked a root cube, in 0.1EC organic fertilizer solution with some compost teas, with an air stone. When I moved the seed from the paper towel to the cube the darker outer layer was beginning to flake off and the split did seem to be opening ever so slightly!!! OR I'M JUST HOPING! Anyway, I'll be happy with either a male or a female... Very interested in whats to come of my random seed. :)

-Kweku

Latest posts

Latest posts