What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE Malawi & Golden Tiger Organic Grow, ******s Bacto, Buffer & Symbiosis 600W 400V

MadMac

far beyond driven...
ACE Malawi & Golden Tiger Organic Grow, ******s Bacto, Buffer & Symbiosis 600W 400V

ACE Malawi & Golden Tiger Organic Grow with Bacto, Buffer & Symbiosis 600W 400V Lumatec

Hello,
this will be my first Grow Report with my new System.
My Grow Room is 1,55 x 2,20 x 2,45m = 8.400 liter Volume and in the basement.
Basement is 8°C constant and around 85% humidity.
It worked for 10 Years but this year i did it all new….
Well for me it was important not to invest too much (Work&Money) and get the max yield….
So i didn’t care about humidity and temperature because it never got too hot…
I used a magnetic ballst and 600w hps and a timer… thats all cheap and dirty but worked well for 10 Years…
Airflow was fine because it was connected to chimney…
I had 9 Years luck with my plants but last year i got mold and other pests because of humidity and cold.
The temps where around 14°C night and 28°C day…. humidity was around 75% to 80%.
So my harvest was the first time not so good last year and i decided to invest money&work for a new Grow Room
with new Light and elect. ballast and new elect. control system. Also i got new SmartPots with 5 Gallon volume and new recipe for my Soil… I also isolated my Grow room and made a new Airflow System.
My goal was: Get the best out of 500€ inc. Seeds & Soil

Because of this situation i would like to share my experience and hope that it can helps others too.

So lets start with the Room…
My Grow Room is 1,55 x 2,20 x 2,45m = 8.400 liter Volume and in the basement.
Basement is 8°C constant and around 85% humidity.
So i isolated the Room and the ground with bubble wrap and put a 125mm pipe for exhaust and a other for fresh air.
Now i bought a dehumidifier because i need to get rid of the humidity. It is a automatic one that i can set to 60/50/40 % humidity.
I also add a heater for the night time when lights are out and it get’s cold…
I also set up a new electronic control system for all my needs…

It has the following features:
2 x Timer with 58 on/off a day and working with up to 2000 watt/ channel (Theben TR 610 top2) ebah ca. 45€
2 x Temp Control with cooling/heat and also more the 2000 watt / channel (ESCO DC-20D) ebah ca. 55€

I use one timer for lamp & vents (vent for cooling bulb and for airflow vent in room)
The other timer is for my exhaust vent and is set up like this:
every half hour for 2 minutes on but only when the lights are on and it is connected to the second temp sensor and that goes on if the temp in the room goes over 27°C. The vent blows around 200 qubic meter / hour (3,3 cubic meter/minute) so lets say it blows every half hour 6 cubic meter used air out… should be enough but i’m not really sure… maybe someone can give advice here how much fresh air plants need when lights are on… thx
My other temp sensor is for my 500 watt heater… if temp goes below 17°C it switch the heater on…
The Dehumidifier has always power and set to 60%… later at final stage to 50%
I have a Netatmo to protocol my Temp, CO^2 and Humidity
Until now i have Daytime temp @ 24°C and night @ 17°C +/- 1°C, Humidity around 55-60% and CO^2 between 450 and 500 ppm. Interesting is when i visit the Grow Room.. after five minutes it goes up to 1100 ppm… The great thing about the Netatmo is that you have precise results and that you can store the results and see and compare over time of the grow :)

Soil Mix
For me it worked best to use big container around 20 Liter or 5 gallons for 8 to 9 Weeks flowering…
In the past i veg. my plants around 60 day’s than plant in final container and start flowering 12/12 in the cold basement…
I always use very good Soil from my Gardener and had no issues with nutrients… The Soil cost 7€ for 45 liter…
I used the soil also for tomatoes and other vegetables… PH of the Soil is 6.5.
So this year i tried something new and we will see the results…
I use the same soil but mixed it with worm cast. In addition i use Buffertablets (my tap water has a PH of 7.5), and Symbiosis mycorrhiza fungi & Bacto. As you can see in the pictures it seams to work well.
So i have 8 SmatPot’s with 18 Liter / 5 Gallons
I mixed two bags = 90 liter Soil with 40 liter worm cast
I found living worms and eggs in the worm cast… so it seams very good.
Now i filled the SmartPorts and gave some Symbiosis mycorrhiza fungi & 3 Buffertablets for each pot (1 for 5 liter)
Finally i mixed tab water with Bacto and gave it to the Soil to spend some life…
Now for me i like to wait some days when i set up my Soil because of the fresh reaction with tab water…
After 5 day’s i planted my 8 ladies in the SmartPot’s and did some watering with Bacto again…
Put them in the Grow Room and did 18/6 hours to get a better start… after 5 day’s i switched to 12/12.

Light
I had a Spudnik closed reflector with 125mm Air connection… works very well because in the cold basement i use the warm air to heat up the room when lights are on ;-) and you can go closer to the plants = more Light = better yield :)
I used 10 Years the standard magnetic ballst and a 600w hps bulb…
This year i decided to invest in a electronic ballst and bought a Lumatec 600SL ballst with 400Volt.
I have read a lot about this combination and a friend of mine used it now 2 years… successfully :)
Connected to the Spudnik is a 125mm vent with 2000 liter / hour. I have a regulator and it runs with half power or less. I connected a flexible pipe to the other side of the reflector that goes to the ground so it can heat up the cold air and i got a nice airflow in my room.
I use now a Osram Plantastar 600 Watt 400 Volt HPS bulb.

My Plants:
Well first it was the last years a disaster with germination etc… well we visited every year Amsterdam to get fresh seeds… always nice to be in A’dam… In 2000 we discovered Big Bud for outdoor growing and some other for indoor but Big Bud was the only one i remember because of the big yield here in the north… well since then we bought from Sensi Seeds & Greenhouse… the best Strains i remember are Durban Poison and Super Lemon Haze… Jack Herrer and Jorge Diamond… Super Lemon Haze was my fav.. now in the last years we had big germination issues and we thought it was our fault… Then this year was extreme… Greenhouse germ. rate was 50% and below… other too… So i searched the iNet and found that we are not alone… i discovered ICmag.com and ACE Seed’s also found opengrow.com…
So i did some research and bought Bacto and the other additions from ****** and Seed’s from ACE because i had a chance to test Malawi… awesome high… never mind that i got so high… killer i love it!
Well until now all Seeds from ACE germinated and are fine!!! Used same System than ever… 24h in Tab Water then put in soil for young plants… germination soil was heat up in a oven for 30 min at 80°C to get rid of all bad influence…

So i bought:
3 x Malawi fem.
3 x Golden Tiger
1 x ACE Mix fem.
5 x Zamaldelica
5 x Purple Haze x Malawi fem.
5 x Erdpurt for Outdoor
5 x Congo for Outdoor
Thx to ACE! You get always extra seed in each pack and a nice gift… :)

3 Malawi, 3 Golden Tiger & 2 Ace Mix are the first run indoors and the second will be Zamaldelica & Purple Haze x Malawi fem.
The germination of the 3 Malawi, 3 Golden Tiger & 2 Ace Mix was @ 1 March.
I vegged them until 26 March under fluro. light. then transfer in SmartPot’s and vegged them for 5 day’s under 400w hps 18/6 in my Grow room.
At first April i switched to 12/12 and to 400SL on the Lumatec ballast.
On first May i will switch to 600 and on 1 June to 600SL until end of grow.

a special thanks to ACE for there great genetics and Tangwena for inspiration how to cure the Malawi way! I will try it this time also and report it here.:tiphat:

here now some pic’s of this grow…

that was my test Malawi Weed fresh from Africa

my Timer & Temp control with fuse

After 3 Weeks veg. first day in SmartPot @ 18/6

1 April after 31 days veg. switch to 12/12

will update this tread frequently thx
MadMac

Last edited:
B

Baron Greenback

Great description, very thorough thanks. They look lovely, you'll definitely be really happy with both yield and potency. Lovely genetics and a nice company.
Will be following this grow with interest. Good luck.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Here are some Netatmo pics.
it's a great tool to monitor Temp,CO & Humidity also if you are not @ home... and you can save the results and compare later...
i think if you work with CO than you need something like this...

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Mad Mac looking sweet but I hope you have heaps of space vertically and horizontaly because they look ready to explode!
Tangwena

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Thx Tangwena,
yes the space should be big enough i hope...
The room has 2.45 meter height, 2,10m long and 1.55m deep.
The light Reflector covers 1.2m x 1.6m @ 0.4m distance.
I thought to put up a second scrog net to stabilize the tops later...
It looks like that i got 2 phenos Malawi... two have this stretch and are big... the other has some red on the stem and is smaller... maybe thai pheno...
Golden Tiger the same 2 look like Malawi and one is smaller... will see later & thx for stopping by.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome MadMac :)

Thanks for starting your grow diary and for supporting our work.
I'm glad you have had perfect germination with our seeds and that the Malawi experience motivated you to try some of our strains.

The setup sounds good! It's worth to invest a bit in your garden to make feel happier your plants.

Please, let us know if you have any doubt during the process.
Wish you the best for the rest of the cycle!

MadMac

far beyond driven...
picture.php

Day 23
Stretch & Flowering in full progress....
Scrog Stadium is filling up nicely...
Next grow maybe vertical?!
Has someone experience with Vertical Grow & Zamaldelica & Malawi?
If so plz post...
many thx

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Mad Mac have you got all 6 in there? If you have I will be really keen to see how you manage ha ha. 2 would fill that space nicely but 6 is gonna be interesting. All the best mate.
Tangwena

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Hi Mad Mac have you got all 6 in there? If you have I will be really keen to see how you manage ha ha. 2 would fill that space nicely but 6 is gonna be interesting. All the best mate.
Tangwena

Hey Tangwena,
well the stretch makes me also a bit scary... because it's my first pure Sativa Scrog... So i have planned 45x60cm for each plant... they filling it very quick... the scrog net is 135x120cm... so my plan is only the strongest will make it... the rest get trimmed... we will see how it turns out ;-). If necessary i make a second Scrog Net to stabilize the bud's... well a friend does now vertical grow with 6 plants and that look very interesting... will see @ harvest how it comes out... maybe my next grow will be vertical too because of the giant stretch... looks like they make now 10cm @ day!
There is still so much to discover...!
This weekend if my bags are coming i will try the bubble hash & your decrarb' method... looks like it will become a nice weekend:peacock:
cu

bwoyrude

Veteran
just my 5 cents
of course later there to advise, and perhaps even inappropriate.
Make it a sativa paradise, make a mix of MHL and HPS, or simply MHL is strictly in veg IMHO. but together with small pots and light from 6000K in veg. and prewlo. we can deal with plant height, and do not be afraid to transplant from small to large pots, it is also very helpful
I used a long time air pots - a powerful light, good ventilation - all are enemies for them. And to my surprise, it was very easy to mess up the root on mixtures in high humus content.
yes, it works good for roots, if use coco or hydroton and permanent irrigation / drip irrigation

konopenko

Veteran
Investment was worth mate! Lovely setup I specially like timer/temp control and the choice of seeds..I see a lot of people turning away from crapy Dutch genetics (sorry Ghs) :) because choice is for me clear as alpine rivers : Ace, Cbg, Serious seeds and of course some barter exchange :)
I noticed you dont have mylar foil, should be better in terms of reflection and safety imo. Im more outdoor grower, but I also gained some experience indoors-mainly vertical.
I think with your humidity and improved setup, vertical would be smart choice towards better yields...looking forward to see your progress Mac, lets see some mad buds :tiphat:

B

Baron Greenback

This is looking wonderful. ...good work indeed. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

maxibiogreen

Veteran

very nice seed choice madmac. I ll pull up a chair to follow this adventure with you MM, and probabbly with many others.
good luck to you on this project.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
35 Days Flower

35 Days Flower

High @ all,
a small update...
Day 39... flower & stretch is in full progress.
After some gently defoliation... the buds are exploded...
One Malawi stopped stretching and was the first who start flowering...
I will keep a clone... One GT is very late and has thin leaves like thai's have....
here are some pic's...

Early & short Malawi
picture.php

Golden Tiger late & slow flower progress (thai pheno?)
picture.php

Ace Mix
picture.php

Overview: left Malawi middle GT right Malawi
picture.php

:tiphat:

Tangwena

Veteran
Awesome you are going to get some good buds there, they are loving your care Max.
You are going to get a hedge of cannabis buds love it.
Tangwena