What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange color change

oc_grower

How long has this problem been going on? Just noticed it this morning.
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? Yes, it is from Virtual Sun
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...) DWC (I also have a soil plant OG Tahoe that is doing excellent.)
What STRAIN are you growing? OG Tahoe, Chanel, Raspberry Cough
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)both
What is the age of your plants? roughly 3 weeks
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..) about 5 days
How tall are the plants? 5-6 inches
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? growth/veg
What Technique are you using? DWC/soil plants came from aeroponic
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.) Hydroton
What is the Water temperature?72
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?white and no
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)gh bloom/micro/grow , fish and guano, floraliscous, superthrive, added potassium and phosphorus just what sticks to the syringe.
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? 1ml per gal (4gal)
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless) only once so far
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)only once so far
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?not flowering
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) I am mixing them in a quart jar of water and then adding all at once.
What is the TDS/EC/PPM? 495-540ppm
What is the pH of the "Tank"? ph 5.8-6.0
How often are you testing your pH/PPM/EC/TDS? daily
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment? no
When was your last watering?
What is your water temps?temps are in the low 70's
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)5 days ago
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients? every 2 weeks
What size bulb are you using?600w x 2 but only one of them are on these plants
How old is the bulbs you are using?roughly 3 weeks
What is the distance to the canopy?18 inches
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?35-50% usually 40%
What is the canopy temperature? 70 overnight highs of 80
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) about 520 cfm
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? I have fresh air venting into the grow tent from a window and have placed an 8" fan to draw it in through the 6" ducting. My exhaust is a 6" duct with an inline fan. Lots of circulation.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?no
Is your water HARD or SOFT? hard water
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? tap
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap? 44ppm / 7 pH
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives? not sure what this means...
Are you using water from a water softener? no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched? yes, pinched.
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When? none
Are plant's infected with pests? NO

br26

GH blend only..... It has all essential elements for growth.

Small clone to transition 33ppm micro/grow/bloom each, as label states

Less light, 600 is overkill and a waste of money for you

oc_grower

I am using GH. The way I understand the label is that it is 33ml per liter of each which is 99ml per liter of water. The label says 1/1/1 teaspoon per gal. If I go by that then I need to be at 5 teaspoons of (grow/bloom/micro) which is 25 ml of each 75 ml total. I am way short of that at 7ml each plus 2ml of calimag, 5ml fish/guano, 3ml floralicous. All of this takes me to 490-520 ppm. From what the GH says it should be between 1100 and 1400 ppm so I may not be getting enough nutes in the mix. I am going to add another 10 ml of each grow/bloom/micro. I will watch it for a few days and note the changes.

I think this will give it the right amount of nutes which should prevent that from spreading and also fix the nitrogen issue. Ph is right where it should be.

I wish I had a smaller light but I am stuck with 600w. I can run a single and not use the second one by moving the plants around.

You've got quite a concoction of nutrients. Why not go with the GH stuff only in order to simplify things until you get this figured out? If things get back to normal with GH only feed one now normal plant with the all the additives for a while and see what happens. Assuming that 600w light is a safe distance from these small plants. Perhaps some fluorescent tubes over these small plants might be better at this point (not sure how many there are)?

Snype

Veteran
I am using GH. The way I understand the label is that it is 33ml per liter of each which is 99ml per liter of water. The label says 1/1/1 teaspoon per gal. If I go by that then I need to be at 5 teaspoons of (grow/bloom/micro) which is 25 ml of each 75 ml total. I am way short of that at 7ml each plus 2ml of calimag, 5ml fish/guano, 3ml floralicous. All of this takes me to 490-520 ppm. From what the GH says it should be between 1100 and 1400 ppm so I may not be getting enough nutes in the mix. I am going to add another 10 ml of each grow/bloom/micro. I will watch it for a few days and note the changes.

I think this will give it the right amount of nutes which should prevent that from spreading and also fix the nitrogen issue. Ph is right where it should be.

I wish I had a smaller light but I am stuck with 600w. I can run a single and not use the second one by moving the plants around.

Way too much nutes. All you need is 4mL Micro and 6 mL Bloom per gallon. When they get bigger use 6mL Micro and 9 mL Bloom per gallon. You don't need the VEG nutes because the Micro has your VEG nutes in it already. Less is more.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Yep seconded. 33ml per liter is more than 4 tablespoons per gallon. A teaspoon is only 5ml, so they are telling you to use a teaspoon of each. Or 1 tablespoon total per gallon. The 1100-1400 ppm you state is for mature plants. Not young ones. Fuck I just realized you are also mixing the concentrated nutrients together before adding to water. Do not do that, add them one at a time in full volume of water, adding the Micro FIRST.

oc_grower

Yep seconded. 33ml per liter is more than 4 tablespoons per gallon. A teaspoon is only 5ml, so they are telling you to use a teaspoon of each. Or 1 tablespoon total per gallon. The 1100-1400 ppm you state is for mature plants. Not young ones. Fuck I just realized you are also mixing the concentrated nutrients together before adding to water. Do not do that, add them one at a time in full volume of water, adding the Micro FIRST.

I mix them in water then add to the res.... I have added a little more to the mix prior to reading this. I am at about 700 ppm across all buckets. Ph is good at 5.8-5.9. Now, I am just going to keep my eye on the Ph and any changes.

oc_grower

Way too much nutes. All you need is 4mL Micro and 6 mL Bloom per gallon. When they get bigger use 6mL Micro and 9 mL Bloom per gallon. You don't need the VEG nutes because the Micro has your VEG nutes in it already. Less is more.

I think I am just about where I need to be now, roughly 700ppm... I have about 3ml per gal of micro/grow/bloom with the calimag and others.

I have to use calimag because the plants become deficient if I do not add it. I just nurtured my potted plant back to health from it...

Thank you for your response. I think you are right about less is more as long as you have enough. I am just not sure that I had enough. I think it is good now because I am right at half strength on the ppm.

oc_grower

You've got quite a concoction of nutrients. Why not go with the GH stuff only in order to simplify things until you get this figured out? If things get back to normal with GH only feed one now normal plant with the all the additives for a while and see what happens. Assuming that 600w light is a safe distance from these small plants. Perhaps some fluorescent tubes over these small plants might be better at this point (not sure how many there are)?

Well, that is a good question. Here is why: my plants have had serious calcium deficiency and I lost a few because of it. Now I include calimag in every feeding/watering for my soil plants (they look awesome). In short, they need the calimag. The other supplements are easy. A drop a gal on superthrive, and fish/guano is pretty easy and nearly impossible to over feed with it. I only put 5ml in the 5gal so it is pretty minimal.

The 600w is 18 in away from the plants. I have 6 in DWC and 4 in soil. Three of which are small like these. One is being trained with LST and has 5 branches but quite small. (I want her to stay low and grow wide. It seems like I would need quite a few fluorescent bulbs to give them enough usable light. But I don't know. I have only used fluorescent in cloning.

I appreciate all of the responses and am definitely benefiting from all of your knowledge! Thanks!

RoostaPhish

Veteran
I still stand by not adding them like that. Do it one at a time, micro first, and in full volume of water.

Snype

Veteran
I think the reason that you sometimes have CalMag issues is because your pH goes a little low. Bump up your pH to 6.0-6.2 and watch the issue go away.

Another thing, your PPM doesn't mean anything if you don't provide the calculation (scale) that it uses. It is much better to talk about nutes in EC. Different company's use different PPM formulas. For example. If I'm at 2 EC, that could be 1,000 PPM on my meter but 1400 PPM on yours. See what I mean. It means nothing to us if you don't provide the scale that your meter is on. And just so you know, my heaviest yielding strains never need more than 2.1 EC for 5 foot bushes with 1,000 watters and CO2 and all that I use the entire grow is Micro and Bloom and nothing else at all. Like I said less is more. Check out the pics in my albums and you can see how great my plants look. And feeding charts are made for you to buy more bottles. Check out the Lucas formula with Micro and Bloom. It's been a trusted formula for years and uses no VEG. Once I used it, I never looked back.

oc_grower

I think the reason that you sometimes have CalMag issues is because your pH goes a little low. Bump up your pH to 6.0-6.2 and watch the issue go away.

Another thing, your PPM doesn't mean anything if you don't provide the calculation (scale) that it uses. It is much better to talk about nutes in EC. Different company's use different PPM formulas. For example. If I'm at 2 EC, that could be 1,000 PPM on my meter but 1400 PPM on yours. See what I mean. It means nothing to us if you don't provide the scale that your meter is on. And just so you know, my heaviest yielding strains never need more than 2.1 EC for 5 foot bushes with 1,000 watters and CO2 and all that I use the entire grow is Micro and Bloom and nothing else at all. Like I said less is more. ...

...Check out the Lucas formula with Micro and Bloom. It's been a trusted formula for years and uses no VEG. Once I used it, I never looked back.

This is the first I have seen ec as a measuring tool for marijuana. I will check into this further and wool look into the Lucas formula. I am very new to growing mmj and look forward to learning a lot over the next month so that I have a better grasp on the process.

oc_grower

Check out the Lucas formula with Micro and Bloom. It's been a trusted formula for years and uses no VEG. Once I used it, I never looked back.

I got home late and one little plant is looking VERY sick. I washed a spare buck filled it with water, added grow, bloom, micro at 1/2 strength, ph'd it and repeated for the remaining 5 plants.

Unfortunately, I just sat down and read the Lucas formula and what an easy way to grow. I think on the next water change I will do it. Hopefully, the plants will look great in the morning.

oc_grower

Check out the Lucas formula with Micro and Bloom. It's been a trusted formula for years and uses no VEG. Once I used it, I never looked back.

Ok, I have dumped the old nute solution and have refilled using recommended ratios. Thanks for the pointer!

oc_grower

new issue.... pests!

new issue.... pests!

It seems I have acquired some unwanted friends. I think they are fungus gnats but I am not sure. Please see pic.

1. What kind of pest do I have?
2. How do I get rid of them?

I noticed a couple of days ago a couple of leaves being eaten. I could not find a bug. Then this morning it looks like a huge chunk of a leaf was eaten; about half of the leaf. This set off alarm bells. Today I have found a couple of flying insects and was able to stun one of them long enough to get a pic before killing the little bastard.

Thank you for help in advance!