What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating really old seeds - tips 'n tricks

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
Long story short, I had to quit growing about 7 yrs ago and did not properly store my seeds. Most of them were in small ziplocks and put in plastic organizers, then thrown public storage(30-90*f averages). At that time, some were just made, some a couple years old and a few from as old as 1978 Highland Oaxacan.

About 2 months ago, I pulled them out of storage and have been trying to germinate them with no luck so far. I've read the High Times suggestions for germinating old seeds but wondered if any of you have successfully germinated really old beans. I would hate to start over, I have some really nice genetics here that would be great to grow out again.

B

Bob Green

Seed scuffing, embryo rescue by peeling off cracked shells can help old seeds.

Different soaking methods can help prepare a seed as well. Look into gibberellic acid, sea algae, peroxide soaking.

Sometimes freezing the seeds them putting them into the fridge for a week or two, after that let them adjust to room temperature for a few days mimicking a natural season.

Some believe in moon cycles as an indicator too.

Then I really like the fish tank and sponge method as an incubator. Easy to read about this one on Google search.

This is a topic of huge interest to me. I plan on treating every seed I have like it's the last one on earth.

B

Bob Green

I would love to hear about this kind of thing from breeders with a strong horticulture background like Chimera, and Jorge.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those 30-90 deg temp swings are killers.

good luck.

I lost some C99 & Chem IBL recently.
They were a few years old but I think I drowned 'em.

The Dopest

Veteran
I had a couple of old bag seeds pop that were stored in the same organizers with my good beans today. I tried them like this first to save the good genetics in case it didn't work. The way I got these to pop was crack them in my teeth before soaking them in water until they sank, then moist paper towel until the tails popped out.
After seeing it work on the bag seeds, I checked the good genetics that I had tried in the beginning and those beans were hard as a rock, even though they were soaked, sank and sat in paper towels for days/weeks. The shells were still not cracked so I went back and cracked each one of them with my teeth. Hopefully I will get a few to pop now, if not I will try a few other good genetics that I have plenty of this way. These old shells are really tough. I only partially crack them when I bite them so the shell is still intact but when I squeeze them by hand, I can tell they will open on the pointed end allowing them to do the rest of the work themselves.

Can I get some finger crossing please? :)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If you cut open some of the extras look at them to confirm
if they just brown dust inside.

If all is lost you can look forward to some new genetics.

Good luck either way, and keep us posted.

vostok

Veteran
[iframe1]sbHiipFfWtk[/iframe1]
Jorge Cervantes: Scarifying Seeds ...worked for me !!
but a lot has happened just in the last 7 years ..buying in new stock is a good option

chuky

i had an old seed, at least 5-6 years old, left in a zip lock bag in drawer to be forgotten, found it, chucked in the vegies garden and it turned out to be a monster and i did nothing but water the dirt lol see my outdoor mary jane thread for pics

The Dopest

Veteran
If you cut open some of the extras look at them to confirm
if they just brown dust inside.

If all is lost you can look forward to some new genetics.

Good luck either way, and keep us posted.

Every one that I have checked look perfect inside, I just couldn't get them to crack their shell. I tried scraping the ridge with a razor and the sandpaper in a matchbox trick with no luck. The only thing that has worked so far was the latest try at biting them on the edge to pop the shell seal. I think this may be the trick, we'll know in a few days.

Thanks for posting!

The Dopest

Veteran
[iframe1]sbHiipFfWtk[/iframe1]
Jorge Cervantes: Scarifying Seeds ...worked for me !!
but a lot has happened just in the last 7 years ..buying in new stock is a good option

With all the herm hype of the new seeds, I'd rather stick to my old genetics if possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some good genetics out there today but nothing beats old stock, IMHO.

The Dopest

Veteran
That's basically how I lost the first few batches. Soaked until they sank, damp paper towel on a seed heat mat. The old embryo's aren't vigorous enough to crack the hard shells of older seeds.
By pre-cracking them, they at least have a chance now. :)

1madtrapper

I have used a fingernail file and file gently until it doesnt have much to pop open then put them on the heat matt n paper towel.I tried a few old seeds before i tried this with no luck then was running about 50% with this on oldies.gd luck, Cheers

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A little bit of molasses in you water will give the lil sprouts some added energy.

So I've read. ;)