What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the How to Clean/Rebuild a CPS TR-21 thread

Rickys bong

Veteran
Do you have a filter dryer on the recovery line? Is there any oil at the pump inlet fitting?

Before you go through with a rebuild check the lines at the pump to see if oil has gotten that far.

RB

Chonkski

Bump.

After about 3 months of hard use, I'd like to clean her of terp residue and whatever else may be building up.

My pump has been sounding much more violent and "knocky" lately and it's been getting to me.

Is cleaning/replacing gaskets a task only for the experianced pump tinkerers, Or can any average handyman tackle it within a small projects time?

flatslabs

Chonkski: as someone who has used both, can you comment on the noise level differences between your RG6000 and the TR21.

BigJohnny

I've disassembled the TR21 before because we kind of wrecked one.

You cannot replace the gaskets alone, you buy an entirely new piston assembly.
There are large headed brass bolts on the top that do not need to be removed, if you do there is a good chance you'll fuck up the valves inside because everything is torqued to a specific spec. There are 3 hex bolts to remove that valve plate assembly.

There really isn't much you can do to rebuild one without ordering the parts kits, and for the price of the 2 kits you'd need to enact a repair, you could just buy a new TR21.

Century tool ink to the parts
http://www.centurytool.net/SearchResults.asp?Extensive_Search=Y&Search=tr21&Search.x=16&Search.y=12

Ripcity

The TR21 is simple to work on. I just bought a used one cheap to test some modifications on and found the insides were pretty gunked up from the pump inhaling oil in the two short months since it's production date. So I stripped it down, cleaned it, saw that no permanent damage was done, lubed it, reassembled it and it works flawlessly once again. I think that with regular cleaning and maintenance the pump can be reliable enough to not necessitate parts replacement and short rebuild intervals. Proceed at your own risk, of course(!!). To see how things are looking inside, remove the metal fan shroud and plastic wiring shroud by simply taking out the seven philips head screws attaching those parts to the pump. Then remove the handle/valve cover via the (3) 3/16" allen head bolts. You will see the four brass valve spring access plugs in the head which can be loosened with a flathead screwdriver to inspect and clean the ports, valves and valvesprings once the head is removed, if you so desire. The brass plugs seal with an o-ring which should also be inspected for damage prior to reassembly. You will also want to check the o-ring seals around the brass inlet and outlet fittings as these are poorly implemented and prone to wear from over-tightening of the fittings themselves (make sure your inlet screen is clean and undamaged as well). I did some machining so I no longer use those parts, but that was just for the sake of experimentation. Unplug the pressure sensor wiring before removing the (4) 3/16" allen head bolts holding the head on, at which point you can remove that portion of the assembly for cleaning. There are two o-rings that seal the cylinder liners to the head - inspect these for wear and clean/replace if necessary. The cylinder liners simply pull straight out for inspection and cleaning, leaving the piston and rod assemblies protruding from the crankcase. Now you can determine to a fuller extent the damage done internally, if any. After a thorough cleaning of the cylinders, pistons and rings/seals, I found that my cylinder walls had no scoring or wear which is important because the rings need to seal perfectly to avoid butane vapor entering the crankcase. The two piston rings per piston, one of which can be gently removed, can be cleaned and lubed. Check for uneven wear and replace if necessary. Check for play in the rod bearings in the direction of piston movement. If you have a bunch of oil and goop running down the rods towards the bearings like some pictures I've seen floating around...you may want to disassemble the unit further to lube the rod bearings or replace the assemblies entirely if need be. Worn rod bearings/eccentrics will definitely contribute to an unpleasant knocking sound. The piston/rod assemblies can be purchased for $120, which in addition to the $45 valve rebuild kit, are all you should ever really need unless your pump is already messed up from neglect and misuse. If that's the situation you find yourself in, the master rebuild kit is the way to go. I'm sure I left out a few things but that's a start for those who like to tinker with stuff. I used blue loctite on the head bolt threads during reinstallation, and tightened them incrementally in a criss-cross pattern. I don't have any exact torque specs...perhaps someone else could find out that info. I cleaned the non-rubber parts with alcohol and the o-rings with warm soapy water. I used food grade silicone spray to lube all rubber o-rings as well as the piston rings prior to installation, which is done simply in the reverse order of removal. Also, if you remove the piston rings, be sure to clock the gaps properly before installation. CPS positions them one way (remember how the looked when you took them out?), I chose to clock them averaging a 45 degree angle away from the thrust loads of the piston. Good luck! If you break something don't blame me:)

Chonkski

The TR21 is simple to work on. I just bought a used one cheap to test some modifications on and found the insides were pretty gunked up from the pump inhaling oil in the two short months since it's production date. So I stripped it down, cleaned it, saw that no permanent damage was done, lubed it, reassembled it and it works flawlessly once again. I think that with regular cleaning and maintenance the pump can be reliable enough to not necessitate parts replacement and short rebuild intervals. Proceed at your own risk, of course(!!). To see how things are looking inside, remove the metal fan shroud and plastic wiring shroud by simply taking out the seven philips head screws attaching those parts to the pump. Then remove the handle/valve cover via the (3) 3/16" allen head bolts. You will see the four brass valve spring access plugs in the head which can be loosened with a flathead screwdriver to inspect and clean the ports, valves and valvesprings once the head is removed, if you so desire. The brass plugs seal with an o-ring which should also be inspected for damage prior to reassembly. You will also want to check the o-ring seals around the brass inlet and outlet fittings as these are poorly implemented and prone to wear from over-tightening of the fittings themselves (make sure your inlet screen is clean and undamaged as well). I did some machining so I no longer use those parts, but that was just for the sake of experimentation. Unplug the pressure sensor wiring before removing the (4) 3/16" allen head bolts holding the head on, at which point you can remove that portion of the assembly for cleaning. There are two o-rings that seal the cylinder liners to the head - inspect these for wear and clean/replace if necessary. The cylinder liners simply pull straight out for inspection and cleaning, leaving the piston and rod assemblies protruding from the crankcase. Now you can determine to a fuller extent the damage done internally, if any. After a thorough cleaning of the cylinders, pistons and rings/seals, I found that my cylinder walls had no scoring or wear which is important because the rings need to seal perfectly to avoid butane vapor entering the crankcase. The two piston rings per piston, one of which can be gently removed, can be cleaned and lubed. Check for uneven wear and replace if necessary. Check for play in the rod bearings in the direction of piston movement. If you have a bunch of oil and goop running down the rods towards the bearings like some pictures I've seen floating around...you may want to disassemble the unit further to lube the rod bearings or replace the assemblies entirely if need be. Worn rod bearings/eccentrics will definitely contribute to an unpleasant knocking sound. The piston/rod assemblies can be purchased for $120, which in addition to the $45 valve rebuild kit, are all you should ever really need unless your pump is already messed up from neglect and misuse. If that's the situation you find yourself in, the master rebuild kit is the way to go. I'm sure I left out a few things but that's a start for those who like to tinker with stuff. I used blue loctite on the head bolt threads during reinstallation, and tightened them incrementally in a criss-cross pattern. I don't have any exact torque specs...perhaps someone else could find out that info. I cleaned the non-rubber parts with alcohol and the o-rings with warm soapy water. I used food grade silicone spray to lube all rubber o-rings as well as the piston rings prior to installation, which is done simply in the reverse order of removal. Also, if you remove the piston rings, be sure to clock the gaps properly before installation. CPS positions them one way (remember how the looked when you took them out?), I chose to clock them averaging a 45 degree angle away from the thrust loads of the piston. Good luck! If you break something don't blame me:)

Wow, thank you. This is just about exactly what I was asking for, what a delightful first post bro! I love your willingness to help out.

Although. It almost sounds as if I'd be better off not tinkering with it. Because I don't have enough experience in tinker to uphold any confidence in a project that involves that type of diverse reverse engineering. I am afraid I will just make things much worse.

Perhaps I can send it in to century tool for service? Would that pencil out, or turn into a dumb thing to do......

FlatSlabs: I would say that the tr-21 is about the same as the rg6000 in the amount of noise they put out, the tr21 seems to be quiet and dull at 20-30psig until you get down to 10psig it starts getting pretty "sharp" sounding. IME

CPS offers factory rebuilds for 250$, im about to send them a couple trs-21's

they told me to not even try myself, and wouldn't give out any info on taking it apart.

Permacultuure

Veteran
CPS offers factory rebuilds for 250$, im about to send them a couple trs-21's

they told me to not even try myself, and wouldn't give out any info on taking it apart.

Damn already? Did you see what Bigfoot extractors posted? I'm guessing your manual was the old tr21 just like mine were, the trs manual apparently says it's rated for r290 and r600...... Still waiting for confirmation though bc I heard right the opposite recently

APK47

I just received a new TRS-21 from iron fist and it too came with what I believe to be the "old" manual. No mention of R600.
Anybody determine the difference between the TRS and the standard TR? Is it simply the sparkproof rating? If so, what designates it as spark proof? Just the power switch?

Ok, first let me thank Ripcity for the post, it told me what I needed to know. So after 6mo of use my pump started to hammer, I decided I will just try and clean it, thanks to Ripcity post I was a little scared but knew I had some instructions, but its not complicated at all, and it was actually very dirty and pretty easy to clean. I just removed the plastic fan cover and electrical component cover by taking out the phillips head screws. and then removed the top with the 3 allen screws, pulled of that part, then removed the 4 allen screws, pulled off the top, and under that and there everything was.. pretty dirty, just used alcohol to clean it, not I about to lube it and reassemble but don't have food grade silicone so I was thinking of just using some vegetable glycerin? Would that work? Should I worry about cleaning valves?
4screws_zpsvkihpnow.jpg

Dirty%20Heads_zpsz92hsl3n.jpg

Dirty%20Heads1_zpsxyfybtzr.jpg

Clean%20Heads_zpsq0mje0k8.jpg

Clean%20Heads%20Old%20Seals_zpsstjouffp.jpeg

Last edited:

gliders420

Ok, first let me thank Ripcity for the post, it told me what I needed to know. So after 6mo of use my pump started to hammer, I decided I will just try and clean it, thanks to Ripcity post I was a little scared but knew I had some instructions, but its not complicated at all, and it was actually very dirty and pretty easy to clean. I just removed the plastic fan cover and electrical component cover by taking out the phillips head screws. and then removed the top with the 3 allen screws, pulled of that part, then removed the 4 allen screws, pulled off the top, and under that and there everything was.. pretty dirty, just used alcohol to clean it, not I about to lube it and reassemble but don't have food grade silicone so I was thinking of just using some vegetable glycerin? Would that work? Should I worry about cleaning valves?
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

that second picture... is that the assembly head on the left of the pump? it looks as if you set it down upside down?

APK47

Thanks adapt for the clear instructions. I took my TRS apart and cleaned it out real well as you did. Mine was slowing down and actually started to leak, as evidenced by my handheld meter. I noticed the cylinder walls were pretty caked up, probably would've scored the walls had I not cleaned it. I assume it was however bad enough to allow enough "blow-by" to set off my residual gas detector.
Anyhow it seems to work fine, well at least a lot better than it has in a while. No more residual gas at least.

Pangea

Veteran
My TR-21 is knocking and not able to pull past -10hg it get there and then after awhile will even drop back to 0.

I followed the instructables guide and cleaned her up but the problem persists. I will follow ripcities post and open up the head assembly and have a look at the valves and seals.

I see century has whole head ass. replacements for 180usd, I guess they'd be torqued and set right, compared to doing it oneself?

Gtir

How long until the high pressure switch kicks on? After rebuilding mine I try to test it and after covering the out port and turning it on for about20 seconds it doesn't shut off. I am scared to leave it on for any Longer.

Rickys bong

Veteran
How long until the high pressure switch kicks on? After rebuilding mine I try to test it and after covering the out port and turning it on for about20 seconds it doesn't shut off. I am scared to leave it on for any Longer.

A better way to check it is to use a refrigeration gauge set and pressurize the pump with compressed air.

Connect a gauge to the inlet port and plug the pump outlet port.
Pressurize the inlet to at least 50 psi and close the valve on the gauge set. If the pressure drops more than 10 psi per minute the piston seals will need to be replaced.

The piston seal has an o-ring underneath it to push it against the cylinder for sealing. Heat causes this o-ring to deform permanently and reduce the force it can provide to the piston seal. Replacing the piston seal and energizer o-ring will solve your problems....

RB