What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone Using Burpee Self Watering kit?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Anyone tried cloning using this? seems like it might work, but could possibly get things too wet?

picture.php

soopy

Veteran
Dude, you post the best grow questions/ideas...I love how you are always thinking of what to try next, respect.

I would bet that the mat would work well to keep RW cubes moist, even Steven stylee. I'd use a dome though. Rapid rooters could work too, they have a great air ratio. Great idea mang....

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Thanks man, just gotta pasion for learning! I think ima try it maybe half some of the coco pellets it came with and some rr plugs. probly go for filling only half of it so they have more space and if it goes wrong i dont loose as many cuts.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Im putting every third one something else to try out, rockwool, the coco it came with, and root riot plugs. that way i can have like-strains together for mapping....

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Yeah man, I've been using those for years. I use with RR's and it keeps them at a perfect moisture level. Only trick with the RR's is to cut out the bottom of the plastic that holds the plugs upright. I don't use a dome or anything either but my veg room stays at 50-60% humidity.

Just had luck with a rockwool cube on the mat as well. That was nice cause no need for support to hold them upright.

dociron

Anyone tried cloning using this? seems like it might work, but could possibly get things too wet?

View Image

Looks reasonable to me. I've been using "Ice Tube" makers, for sports water bottles. An "Ice tube" tray is very similar in concept, just poked 4 lil holes in each cell, set in a tupperware "shoe box" added an inch of water, works fine, 27 lil babies in 7-10 days, in the space of a shoe box, so yeah, that would work, just keep it warm underneath, around 80F or so, and yer good to go... Good luck brother! :tiphat:

Budley Doright

Veteran
Looks reasonable to me. I've been using "Ice Tube" makers, for sports water bottles. An "Ice tube" tray is very similar in concept, just poked 4 lil holes in each cell, set in a tupperware "shoe box" added an inch of water, works fine, 27 lil babies in 7-10 days, in the space of a shoe box, so yeah, that would work, just keep it warm underneath, around 80F or so, and yer good to go... Good luck brother! :tiphat:

Ahh..... an ice tube cloner brother...... see my sig.....

I would agree.... wick cloners in their various forms are pretty good for clones.......

You beat me to the punch my brother...... good on you.....

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Yeah man, I've been using those for years. I use with RR's and it keeps them at a perfect moisture level. Only trick with the RR's is to cut out the bottom of the plastic that holds the plugs upright. I don't use a dome or anything either but my veg room stays at 50-60% humidity.

Just had luck with a rockwool cube on the mat as well. That was nice cause no need for support to hold them upright.

Nice! u ever try the coco pucks it comes with?

OldSSSCGuy

Used those things for years. They work great. The pucks are usually expand too small to fill the pots, I just use any other mix in them. Burpee sells a coco brick of their own which is the same stuff as the pucks but in a bulk brick. Much more expensive than 'regular' coco bricks though, not worth the extra money.

And the dome that the Burpee kits come with is worthless-short. Never found any cutting that fits under their lame cover, have always used 6"-8" high dome covers instead.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I've always found a 12-24 hour soak for my cutting before sticking in plug=no dome necessary. Of course this is in my room and all room are different.

newGroath

I just bought one of these kits from burpee, am I good to put my seeds in this after they show tap roots? I also have a coco/soil mix I can use if the pellets are no good , tap roots should be ready in another day so let me know please