What's new

HOw to contruct a DIY LED GROWLIGHT

Dion

THis totorial was from a now closed forum by a grower called scoobydoobie

he uses Surexi chips from illumitex and creates a neosol light fixture

I have used this tutorial to build my first LED, works great

there is also a lot of interest in COBs the tutorial will also apply to this type of chip.

I will try to add in any additional information that was later discussed on the thread as far as improvement to the design goes

DIY LED PANEL - Silent design DIY LED PHOTOSYNTHESISER DEVICE
HOW TO BUILD A SCOOBYSOL

Dion

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Dion

picture.php

here I would like to add that if you are using the cobs its the same story, however I would recomend looking at these chips as a stand alone or especially for those wishing to add specific spectrums for flower power supplementary to the cobs

Dion

picture.php

ofcourse the cobs will have dif voltage and amps BUT the process is the same, just insert your specs for your chip

also its worth noting that thermal grease will work better than pads(a bit better heat transfer) and thermal glue paste stuff is ok too, for cobs however because they can get so hot i'd go with thermal grease and use a chip holder.

Last edited:

Dion

you can also just drill a hole in the heat sink without tapping BUT you will need to use steal screws and match the size of the hole in such a way that the screw will cut the aluminium, as alu is a soft metal this can be done, although id advise just using pads and skip the screws if you dont feel confident drilling/tapping your heatsink.

if you are going with passive heatsinks for cobs, which i highly recommend in all led applications you can use

http://www.led-heatsink.com

they have model and brand specific heatsinks (so you can get an idea how big of a heat sink you will need, also they have a tool to calculate the heatsink size)

Last edited:

Dion

Posting so I can find it when I have to read it, thanks for the info Dion!!

you are very welcome buddy, I hope this helps some people as it did me when I built my first one.

most of the tutorials dont go through the steps and quite a few of them only list materials and show the end result.

here we see what materials were chosen and why along with the construction process.

just start by choosing your chips then match the heatsink and driver to it.
I've built a few of these and other Led growlights as well, feel free to ask any questions hopefully I or other growers here can help

:smoker:

enjoy

Dion

here is the step by step(kinda i only have two hands) of the build i did

this was for a veg light so i used f1 spectrum and put each bar( 5 chips) on a seperate driver so that they could be used independently later if needed

first i prepped the sink by cleaning it with alcohol and marked out the hole placing

after i drilled and tapped those holes

i placed my chips on and began to solder- the contact wasnt heating up enough so i stuck some plastic bits under the chip during soldering- this way the heat wont transfer away into the sink and it was easy work after that

thsi is wired in series so i had to test it before going on