What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do I Kull my fem SLH?

kro-magnon

Veteran
After many years of hesitation I've finally bought one seeds of Super Lemon Haze from Greenhouse seeds to see if I could find something worthy. My girl has been grown under a 250w CFL with other seeds and clones, all vegged very nicely and went in 12/12 last week. But instead of popping a female pre-flower the SLH has made a male flower without doubt, so I wonder if I kill It right now or just cut the balls and wait to see if there's female pre-flower coming?
I'm a bit pissed because this seed had nothing but conditions to grow, no stress of any sort, no light leak and still it's doing male pre-flower.
What would you do, loose on the yield or keep her anyway?

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Give it time.
Fem seeds can sometimes throw a couple male pre-flowers but once picked off, its all female from then on. I ordered 5 fem SLH beans from Greenhouse and got 3 to grow right. Very slow in veg. Only 1 plant has decent side branching. The others arent growing side branches hardly at all.
Seems top cola dominant.
Hopefully out of 3 fem SLH plants I find something good, but I doubt it.
Next time, IF there is a next time, I order SLH beans, I would order a 10 pack to make sure I find something good.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Thanks a lot for the link because it's straight to the point. I'm waiting to see what she'll do as real flower not only pre-flowers, thanks guys you've saved me a lot of stress.
I know why I prefer regular seeds, it's shame some strains are fem only.

Tipz

A clone, from a genetic intersex plant doesn't just drop the trait anymore so than you drop your hair color

meadowman

or maybe stress from the new environment caused the herm to begin with so the cutting run has already adjusted to new environment???

NEGT1

A clone, from a genetic intersex plant doesn't just drop the trait anymore so than you drop your hair color

Right, but neither you nor I can pinpoint why it did that, hence the term. The climate didn't change at all, the one thing that changed was the veg time between the clone and the original plant from seed.

There are many OG strains that will throw a few pollen sacks from seed but when ran again from clone, no pollen. My Anonymous OG did that for instance. About half of my phenos threw pollen from seed. A second run and not a single plant threw pollen. Same grow room, nothing changed.

Tipz

The plant is either genetically predisposed or not. Environmental stressors can induce as well.
The advice is still the same... Take your time, then kill the shit out of herms.

Tipz

most of the cookie cutter og are carriers due to all the chemical inducements, fems, s1s etc.
Herms and herm carriers are becoming the rule rather than the exception via bad breeding practices.

Pendleton

"Chemical inducement" merely blocks ethylene production - there is no evidence to suggest there is a link to it and intersex qualities. The issue is plants which carry the intersex trait being used for breeding at all, not the issue of how they are induced to put off pollen.

Pendleton

In regard to OPs question - keep it, see what it does if it doesn't risk pollinating other sensi plants. Being intersex does not mean it's not great smoke.

Tipz

"Chemical inducement" merely blocks ethylene production - there is no evidence to suggest there is a link to it and intersex qualities. The issue is plants which carry the intersex trait being used for breeding at all, not the issue of how they are induced to put off pollen.

Baloney, there is no evidence to suggest ethylene suppression is the only affect of the chemical inducement either. Practical experience, and the reality of many grows suggest you are wrong on that account too

Tipz

Just Ask the Denver crowd what propagation of herms, and chem inducements has done to the genepool around there? That my friend is the reality of it

Tipz

Baloney, there is no evidence to suggest ethylene suppression is the only affect of the chemical inducement either. Practical experience, and the reality of many grows suggest you are wrong on that account too

It's this type of thinking, that you can thank, when that herm gets to your best girls.

Pendleton

Tipz but I do not buy it, and your line sounds like the same exhausted narrative about "hermies" and big romanticized ideas like saving "the gene pool" that one hears a lot of on pot forums. You can't prove a negative - the onus would be on you to provide the science that these chemicals *do* alter the DNA of plants.

This idea that somehow fem seeds has destroyed the entire gene-base of a geographical area like Denver is silly. If you wish to spend your time playing games discussing made up things that's your choice, but I'm not going to engage in fictional narratives.

Latest posts

Latest posts