What's new

Recirculating Cryogenic Chillers

FatherEarth

Veteran
Anyone have one to recommend? Other than the ones that are offered by Dab Genius? Looking for at least 20L capacity down to -40 to -60..

Roji

I too am looking for cryo liquid chillers, for a Bizzybee999 system I'm planning. Going to be using it as a demo extractor as I am the area rep for his business now. Were looking at using them for all sorts of cool stuff including passive solvent recovery. :)

JColtrane

Planning on researching this company http://www.julabo.com/us

I spoke with Pete at Poly Science today, and he said if you want to go supper cold, these are the units. Your right around 20k ...

But you could always start here ... http://www.labdepotinc.com/c-820-chillers-and-coolers.php

Lots of good options, and affordable. I think Regis rocks an immersion chiller ... which I was looking at (IP-100), but really wanted to be able to move the fluid through a counter flow heat exchange. When I looked into it Liquiflo.com made suitable pumps for the temps, but were kinda spendy too.

If ya gotta spend a little bit more to save in the long run it might be worth it ... at least that's what I'm thinking after looking at all of my D/I invoice's from last year. It makes me cry on how much I spent on that shit!!!

Last edited:

FatherEarth

Veteran
Roji,
My concerns with bizzybee is he won't address his safety issues. He runs subzero temps with the brewery boro sight glasses and indoors. I see his posts all the time and I'm like damn, he's got everyone watching, following, admiring etc, but he really isn't making a good example of safety. Kudos for being inventive and trying new things, but really if that's your team, you need to slap him in the nuts and tell em to step up his sight glass game. Being indoors, whatever..I assume he's running the proper ventilation but those sight glasses? cmon bruh...I've even dropped the top of the top sight glass link, he seems not to care.... Now I may need to jam my foot in my mouth. He may be using Quartz coated with Teflon or something totally safe I haven't heard of? Maybe he just doesn't have time to answer safety questions or has a proprietary sight glass he doesn't want to talk about? Who knows? I'm assuming since he did not answer a direct question about the issue. Maybe you can clarify?...

On another note..
Going back to a passive system isn't where it's at IMO unless you are going for a micro extractor...Recovery times will be horrendous especially chilling to subzero temps. Focusing on increasing recovery speed, versatility, ease of operation & workflow, as well as stepping up safety, and becoming the industry standard for state certified extraction units are all the areas where my company is focusing its efforts. To each their own, there is enough for everyone to have their own pie. So it's all love & oils. Truly though, I think the butane days are numbered. It's time to start focusing and training in other areas of extraction. There are much more efficient and all around better ways to extract. It's all about how much you want to put into the game. Hours of study, developing methods, and earning your stars in experience. As well as investing a good bit of $$$. Do your thing, just sharing my thoughts on the industry and the ever burning safety issue I'm regularly reminded of. Respect to you guys, truly. We need to act like a community who directs and keeps each other in line. We are all in this together. If one of us does something out of line with the scope of what we as an industry are aiming for, someone needs to address the issue.

Respectfully Inquisitive,

FE

FatherEarth

Veteran
Jcoletrane, yea I've seen the low temp immersion probe and was wondering if they were any good. http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_Details~id~825~pid~60529.aspx

20k for just the chiller though... Damn.

Dab genius is supposed to be getting back to me about the possibility of buying a standalone unit. I believe they have their own custom line.. I know those chillers are solid and they ppl at dg are solid folks who stand behind their product.

Last edited:

snake11

I have used polyscience and neslab chillers and found the quality of both to be good. Neither is cheap though.

I am looking at cryo freezers with a sampler capacity just big enough to plumb 3 coils into and using strictly LN2 for recovery and injection chilling. I have a buddy that uses his for just freezing columns and alcohol cubes for his IC69, but hasn't run any plumbing into it. Has anyone else considered or researched this path?

Ac1d

Why don't you through some denatured alcohol in a heavy duty cooler/ice box, plumb you lines and coils in. Then pick up a single or cascade phase changer for a PC. I'm looking at doing the same. You can build a phase changer for a few hundred then just run it down to the local refrigeration shop and have them swap the oil and fill / test the system.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Looking around the new lab, I'm like fuck..each tool in the lab is 20k or more. No reason for the chiller to be any different I suppose. I'm thinking the custom system design would be the most applicable for the money. I've got a specific design that would be super nice for our application. The cryomech link is top notch. Not only that, they boast 50years in the game. That's cold as it gets,lol. Thanks.

~Alaska~

Any updates from you folks on that chiller research?

Was reading on gas cooling chillers earlier today, anybody have any experience with these?

A

I'm running a Haake Chiller that goes down to -90c. I haven't been able to run it any colder than -45c however. I have to have a shop custom fab all the lines and fittings for my equipment to be able to run that cold. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Having the capability to run that cold is really fun, but realistically i don't think I will ever run it further than -60c. Theoretically I should be able to run my system passively with that temp range. We shall see.

A6 Grower

Veteran
You should be able to no problem at those temps. Should run passive at almost active speeds if not faster as long as the temps are right and you got big hoses for recovery

CHILLER GUY

EXTRACTION CHILLERS

EXTRACTION CHILLERS

Hello Father Earth, I can help with extraction chillers. I make them for a living. let me know if you want info. I dont want to send you
unsolicited sales info.

My Best- CHILLER GUY:
:tiphat:

CHILLER GUY

I can get you -40C chillers for far less. ($10-14k or even less if you want something small) That's really as far as you need unless you are doing some R&D on a "new" process.