What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Photosynthesis Recipe-leak 2015

As some of you have known I have been sick for the past 4 months. It has given me plenty of time to reflect on my life, my family, my business, and pretty much anything else you could think of.

I was misdiagnosed for 3 months, and thus was being treated for the wrong ailment. For the past 6 weeks or so I have been treated for the correct thing, and have started to very slowly get better.

This has been a very long road, and at times my grow looked like I felt. :) That being said, I told myself once I was better that I would post every recipe I have ever made online for the world to use.

I don't claim to be anyone other than myself. I am nothing more then an avid gardener that has been lucky enough to have the time and money to "play" with a lot of plant inputs.

There are unlimited ways to grow plants. The following is what has worked for me and many others over the years. Some recipes I have altered from what I have read from others. Hoping to better them in the process. Some I have started from scratch with.

The majority of what I use is from a lot of trial and error. I have fucked up way more then I have not. :) That is always the best way to learn.

Again, I am not a master of anything. I still learn everyday, but I hope to help people that are starting out in organics to be able to grow quality organic plants.

So here goes nothing.

My soil mix which will work from clone to harvest.

Photosynthesis's Organic Soil Mix:

This will make approximately 1 cubic foot of soil
3-gallons of peat moss
2- gallons rice hulls
2- gallons of worm casting/compost
1/2- cup oyster shell flour
1- cup gypsum
1/2- cup azomite
1/4- cup basalt rock dust
1/2- cup bentonite
1/2- cup crab shell meal
1/2- cup fish meal
1/2- cup High P bat guano
1/2- cup alfalfa meal
1/2- cup fish bone meal
1- cup kelp meal
1/4 cup granular humic acid
1/4 cup diatomaceous earth
1/2 gallon 3mm biochar

This mix can be used as a water only mix. Although after about 50-60 days depending on watering style some nutrients will need to be replenished. The easiest way is to veg in this, and then before you flower, top dress with your choice of organic nutrients.

With this mix I only have to water twice per week. Most people find this amazing, but it is how I have done it for years. Even here in Denver (where it is dry as fuck) I only water twice per week. In a 3 gallon smart pot I will only use 2 plastic beer cups worth of water twice per week.

There are a lot of ingredients in this mix that help to facilitate it staying moist, and biologically active. This may vary for you, but it is a good starting point.

You can plant directly into this soil. No need to let it sit. When recycling this soil add in the following per cubic foot of soil:

1/2- cup gypsum
1/4- cup azomite
1/8- cup basalt
1/4- cup crab shells
1/4- cup fish meal
1/4- cup high p guano
1/4- cup alfalfa meal
1/4- cup fish bone meal
1/2- cup kelp meal
1/4- cup diatomaceous earth.

Again no need to let this sit. You can plant in it right away.

Photosynethesis's Seed Starting Soil:

5- parts peat
1- part rice hulls
1- part compost
1- part worm castings
Per gallon of soil add the following
1-tablespoon of azomite
1- tablespoon of kelp meal
1- tablespoon of oyster shell flour
a pinch of powdered humic acid

This seed starting mix is very light, and fluffy, and is good for the first few weeks of a young plants life.

Photosyntesis's Neem and essential oil recipe for mites:

Per gallon of WARM water,
1oz. of neem oil (Ahimsa is the best)
1oz. of Dr. Bronner's baby soap (only use up to week 2 of flower)
a pinch of agsil 16 (approximately a 1/4 teaspoon)
2 Ml of Lavender essential oil
2 Ml of Rosemary essential oil
1 Ml of Thyme essential oil
1 Ml of Eucalyptus essential oil

Use this once per week until two weeks before harvest, and you will be mite free. This has developed since I landed in Denver, and the mites here drink up most organic remedies.

Only use Dr Bronner's up to the second week of flower as it can degrade trichomes. Make sure to always use warm water. If your neem is to thick to pour run your bottle under hot water first.

Photosynthesis's "Vegan" Plant Tea

5 gallons of plant tea

1/2- cup Yarrow
1/2- cup comfrey
1/2- cup Stinging nettles
1/2- cup horsetail grass
1/2- cup alfalfa meal
1/2- cup kelp meal

Before "veganics" was coined people were growing with vegan inputs. This is a recipe I came up with for people that didn't want to use any animal inputs.

I have personally used this for years, and it works well as a soil drench or foliar fed once per week. You can use this from veg to harvest.

The best way to make this tea is to bubble it in your 5 gallon compost tea brewer for 24-36 hours. If you don't have a brewer you can steep this tea for 48 hours. Make sure to stir this tea 4-5 times per day if steeping.

Depending on ambient temperatures, wind, etc, this brew can start to ferment in 3-4 days. That's why I always suggest to just steep for 48 hours.

Photosynthesis's Compost Tea Recipe

2-3 cups vermicompost/compost
2-4 tablespoons molasses(you can use sucanat if you want start with 1 teaspoon)
1/8 cup kelp meal
1/8-1/4 cup alfala meal
small pinch fish hydrolysate powder

As you can see above I have a bit of a variation in the ingredients. Your composted material, ambient temperatures, brew time etc, will dictate the outcome.

If you want you can start on the low side with the inputs, and then work your way up if necessary.

Brew this for 24-36 hours in a 5 gallon compost tea brewer. It may take you many brews to get your recipe exactly down, but none of them should end up as a "bad" brew.

Obviously if you have a microscope it will help along the process.

DIY SNS-203

1- ml Clove Bud essential Oil
1/3- ml Rosemary Essential Oil
1- tsp coconut oil
a few drops of surfactant (dr, bronner's, yucca, aloe, etc.)

Mix these ingredients into one gallon of water. I use this mostly as a soil drench. It works well used once a week to help keep things in check. The key is to put the coconut oil in a little warm water frst to help melt it down. If you want to you can purchase liquid coconut oil at most health food stores.

Legit SNS-203

1/2 teaspoon Clove essential oil
1/8 teaspoon Rosemary Essential oil
1/4 teaspoon Polyglycerl oleate (you can buy on amazon)
1 Teaspoon lauric Acid (you can buy on ebay)

Pre-mix the ingredients in a few ounces of water, and then mix that into 2 gallons of water.

I have recently switched to this recipe as I was able to find the ingredients online for a resonable price.

Photosynthesis's Fermented Liquid fertilizer recipe

32oz- EM1
32oz- Molasses
2- cups kelp
1-cup crab meal
1- cup shrimp meal
2- Tablespoons humic acid powder
5- teaspoons magnesium chloride

It took me 2 years to get this one down. I spoke many times to the guys at teraganix, and many other places to make this work. The problem I always ran into was the amount of time it took for the brew to ferment.

This recipe is for a 5 gallon brew. You can use anywhere from
1oz- 4oz. per gallon of water soil drenched. It can also be foliar fed at 1/4 to 1/2 oz. per gallon of water. You can choose whether you strain out the ingredients or not. I always just leave them in once the brew is done.

The way I brew it is in a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid, and then a install a beer brewing airlock in the gamma lid. You need to make sure the bucket and lid are very clean, and very dry. If not your brew may not work properly.

Place all of the ingredients into the bucket, fill with water, stir, and seal it up. Depending on temps it will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 90 days to brew. I tend to brew mine for 90 days. The key is to get the PH down below 3.7.

I have found out through much trial and error that you can hit 3.7 or lower, and then it can spike. So it is always safer to brew longer.

You can put any ingredients in the base brew. Just keep the total inputs between 3-5 cups per 5 gallon brew. The base ingredients being, EM1, Molasses, and Magnesium Chloride.

The key to this recipe is the magnesium chloride. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon of brew, and it will speed up the brewing process. That is how you can get a brew in the right PH within 2 weeks. It only took me 2 years to figure this out. :)

Now you can stop buying "bottled" nutes, and solubilizing bacteria products. :)

Last edited:
Photosynthesis's Foliar Spray

1/2- teaspoon sea-90
1/4- teaspoon humic acid powder
1/3- teaspoon kelp extract
1/4- teaspoon fish hydrolysate powder
1- tablespoon molasses
1- tablespoon Albion MultiMineral Metalosate
a few drops of yucca extract

Mix these ingredients into 1 gallon of water. You can foliar spray this weekly as far into flower as you feel comfortable. I use this from clone to one week before harvest.

It's always a safe practice to spray with lights off/ or not in full sun. I typically just turn down my digital ballast indoors, and wait for the plants to dry. Outdoors I spray in the very early morning, or when the sun is going down.

Photosynthesis's cloning technique

In one gallon of water mix
1/4- teaspoon humic acid powder
1/2- teaspoon of sea-90
1/3- teaspoon kelp extract

Fill up plastic beer cups about 3/4's of the way with this solution. Take your cuttings, and sit them in the cup for 24ish hours. After that time trim the bottom of the cutting at a 45 degree angle, and also trim your leaves down 1/2 way.

Now place your cuttings in rapid rooters, and place the rapid rooters in a tray with a dome. I keep the dome vents closed for 3 days, and spray the clones daily. After 3 days I open the vents half way, and continue to spray the clones daily. I also put a beer cups worth of water in the tray, and mix in a tablespoon of OGBIOWAR foliar. This helps to keep gnats and such from taking a hold in your tray. I also tape mesh over my vent holes so that it makes it harder for gnats and such to get in.

If you have taken cuttings from HEALTHY mothers then you should have plantable clones in 10-14 days.

For the past 5 years when taking clones I did none of this. When I lived in the south it was so humid I would just take a cutting, and it would root on it's own. Here in Denver it took me a year to get to 100% cloning. Between the dry air, and damping off I came up withh this technique which works great for me.

That's it for now. If I think of any other recipes I will post them. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I hope this can help out the new comers. I just laid out 6 years of trial and error for absolutely free. :) I use to charge for this very information, but now I feel if it can help people get into growing organically then that is payment enough.

Photosynthesis's DIY "Natural RoundUp" alternative

In a quart spray bottle mix the following
2-4 oz. orange oil
fill the rest with vinegar

Shake it up and spray in direct sunlight. You should see dramatic results by the next day.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, sounds like some dank dirt. My favorite thing about your recipe is that I don't see perlite or vermiculite listed anywhere <3

If adding some neem seed meal, would you subtract anything else?

I have used neem meal/cake in this mix in the past. I stopped using neem meal because unlike what everyone on the interwebs says, it does not actual function as anything other then an unnecessary nitrogen source.

From my experiences it does not aid it warding off pests in the soil. It also is a lot of unnecessary nitrogen. Nitrogen is in no short supply in most any growing medium.

Save the money, and don't use.

If you feel you need to use it you can use it @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot.

betshtick

I have used neem meal/cake in this mix in the past. I stopped using neem meal because unlike what everyone on the interwebs says, it does not actual function as anything other then an unnecessary nitrogen source.

From my experiences it does not aid it warding off pests in the soil. It also is a lot of unnecessary nitrogen. Nitrogen is in no short supply in most any growing medium.

Save the money, and don't use.

If you feel you need to use it you can use it @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot.

Exactly what I was wondering, tyvm! I picked up fungus gnats from some bagged soil and was thinking about adding neem to the next batch I mix up, definitely don't need more Nitrogen though.

Guess I'll just stick to the botaniguard and add some nematodes.

Exactly what I was wondering, tyvm! I picked up fungus gnats from some bagged soil and was thinking about adding neem to the next batch I mix up, definitely don't need more Nitrogen though.

Guess I'll just stick to the botaniguard and add some nematodes.

The SNS-203 recipe I posted will help with them. Nematodes are the best if you can actually get them alive. I used them for years with great success, but then for some reason they were arriving dead. So I stopped buying them.

I have started to use a "mechanical" control method. I have switched to these
http://viagrow.biz/product/10-gallon-breathable-fabric-aeration-pot-with-handles-5-pack/

They are much taller then a standard "smart" pot. I am vegging in the 2 gallons, and flowering in the 5 gallons. I am putting 2"+ of #3 coarse perlite on top of the soil. This acts as a mulch, and also it pretty much cock blocks the gnats from being able to do their thing.

I have not had a gnat problem since switching.

The 5 gallons end up being around 4 gallons once I add perlite. It is a little more soil then when I use 3 gallon smart pots, but not much. It has solved my gnat problem though.

Stonedasarock

Definitely have to say thanks. I wish you had posted this sooner, though! I've done hours of lurking and jumping from post to post to try and compare who I trusted most. Your post definitely seems like a good TLDR of information I've been seeking. Thanks once again for a concise reference.

All recipes posted that I can think of. Anyone can now grow quality organic plants if you just follow the recipes I have provided. It will also save you money, and keep you out of the "Grow" store. :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

betshtick

They are much taller then a standard "smart" pot. I am vegging in the 2 gallons, and flowering in the 5 gallons. I am putting 2"+ of #3 coarse perlite on top of the soil. This acts as a mulch, and also it pretty much cock blocks the gnats from being able to do their thing.

I have not had a gnat problem since switching.

Ahh very nice, I'm using the roots brand fabric pots since they sell them super cheap at work. They also have nematodes in the fridge so I can get those local and shouldn't have a problem getting them home alive.

I like the perlite idea (I had considered gnat nix) but that would be a pita for me since I top feed with dry ferts.

Thanks bud :)

Stonedasarock

Photo, what is a good substitute for rice hulls? Can't seem to get these locally and don't have the ability to order online either.

Photo, what is a good substitute for rice hulls? Can't seem to get these locally and don't have the ability to order online either.

You can use perlite. Where are you located? I can see if I can help you find some.

I like rice hulls because it is a waste product (perlite takes a lot of energy to make), and when I'm "done" with my soil I can completely compost it down. Hard to do that when you have perlite in your mix.

betshtick

You can use perlite. Where are you located? I can see if I can help you find some.

I like rice hulls because it is a waste product (perlite takes a lot of energy to make), and when I'm "done" with my soil I can completely compost it down. Hard to do that when you have perlite in your mix.

Mebbe check with local breweries or brewery supply stores. I believe they use rice hulls as a filter.

I also like growstones (recycled glass), but they're a bit spendy compared to rice hulls or perlite.

Here is where I get mine. I usually buy a pallet at a time, but they may ship out single bags if you ask.

graniteseed.com

They sell it to help spread small seeds.

Alternatively you can get them from Arbico Organics.
arbico-organics.com
Although they sell their single bags for $50, and I have been paying around $15. :) When you get a pallet they last a long time. It really is the cheapest way to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stonedasarock

Photo, had to chime in and say thanks again. Going to be hunting down comfrey, stinging nettles, and yarrow to grow in the garden. Had stuff that needed to be planted TODAY - so I had to use perlite (I am still very disappointed by this because it means I won't be recycling this batch).

Wasn't able to use all your ammendments, but it was still a good guideline! Feels good to be running a lighter mix. Have a good one.

Stonedasarock

Also, I did follow suggestions about breweries and even called some brewery supply stores, but they acted like I was crazy. My last resort for local will be checking with a feed store and seeing if they have rice hulls as animal bedding or something. If anyone has any other sources they think may carry this locally, please chime in!

Note: I understand I can get this online but it's always nice to get it in person and hopefully someone else will get some leads through this as well.