What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lab-grade Breeders is Colorado?

OldSSSCGuy

This is a shot in the dark but...

Now that the industry has shaken off its virgin industry skin, have any lab-grade breeders or cannabis labs opened in the state? Ones with the talent and skill to attempt propagation of old legacy strains?

Point being that I still have a sizable selection of original seed stock from SSSC. Fortunately Snow High Seeds and Sickmeds Seeds both have plans to attempt their magic on some of the old beans. Both have the talent and experience to make the resurrection attempts, but both are heavily committed to other extreme projects and (I don't blame them) are kinda distracted. So now I am back on the horse searching for a potential breeder who might have the skills or experience who might consider having a wack at them - and I am hoping that Colorado's intelligence in law might be expanding into the botanical world.

Basic wet germination will NOT work with this old stock. Its going to take some chemical and/or tissue culture intervention for 30-year old seed. Realism says a pro would be lucky to hit 1 in 100 seed that will propagate - just being honest.

Just so its said: Please - if you are not a professional breeder or grower this is not for you. Only a pro will know that the viability of 30-year old seed can be astronomically bad. I am NOT interested in selling anything at all! I ask only for a receiving breeder to commit to ->freely<- sharing any success with the other breeders involved in the project. I want nothing else in return. And yes, I can validate and document my own (relatively minor) involvement in the original SSSC - I am just too fucking old to lie and have no hidden agenda.

If you have grey hair in your crotch you might remember original legacy strains like:

*Williams Wonder
Afghani-Malawi Hybrid
Durban Poison
Durban-Thai Highflyer
Afghani #1
Skunk #1 x Afghani #1 Hybrid
Skunk #1 x Creeper Hybrid
Oakland Indica
Durban-Chitral Hybrid
Friesland Indica
Gouda's Glory
Heavily High
Pakistani
Hoosier Hoot-n-Hollar
Sanora Super Sativa

Any recommendations from Colorado folks?

vostok

Veteran
Praise be to the 'Lab' grade breeders....?
Total nonsense, there is nothing special or no, or very little special treatment required with regard to 30+ years old seed, you may scarify them and soak a few days longer, but above all .....How do you work the tissue culture of a 'seed' ?
besides whose to say anyone would be interested in toking on single digit thc weed, times are moving on...so should you?

guineapig

Veteran
They did germinate a seed from an egyptian pharoah's tomb, but I am not sure who is the
leading expert on germinating old seeds, nor am I sure which chemical treatments would
increase the chances of germination, of course there might be promising work with certain
plant hormones, etc.

There does need to be some discussion on preserving land-race and heirloom strains.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

ghostmade

Veteran
there's no such thing as laboratory grade breeders, what we need is research grade cannabis.which is produced by a master grower,in a completely consistent environment.water,air and lights.I'm talking about University of Mississippi weed.we neee of open sorce research effort.but the number one thing in research is data. (You know,accurate note taking)
there's no such thing as a laboratory grade breeders.but there are breeders with laboratories.greenhouse seeds being one

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ben holmes at centennial seeds perhaps,
a pal of mine "nordman" in foco COULD do tissue culture on cannabis, him & his wife work w tissue culture and plant propagation in the non-cannabis horticulture industry.

so yes the kind of thing you are talking about is happening out here, maybe just not exactly the WAY you think it is.

waveguide

Veteran
while i also find the idea of "lab grade breeding" superfluous, it's obvious the intent here is to secure someone with experience applying methods like GA3 to germination.

...which isn't a terrifically inaccessible procedure, but would benefit from someone who has done it before.. which shouldn't be such an unreasonable expectation, considering the benefit and the fact that it's in colorado, where there should be many people with such experience.

failing any such fortunate association, GA3 is < $20 to obtain, though it may take experimentation with solution. other methods mentioned in past threads (using nutrient to strengthen the seed's depleted energy) are worth reviewing, even stuff some people find silly like using the moon (every germ thread will have several people attesting to the efficacy of germing with the full moon).

i used to germ for a general nursery, all else i can say is, do it when you feel happy and good so they feel welcome. (i haven't had much informative experience with GA3 on cannabis, i'm not close by and i'm a micro grower so i'm no help).

sprinkl

Veteran
besides whose to say anyone would be interested in toking on single digit thc weed, times are moving on...so should you?

That is a common but imo ridiculous idea. First off, weed back then was only so low in THC because it's full of seeds and grown/harvested/cured/packaged poorly.
Look at ACE, CBG and other breeders work, landraces can be real potent when bred for it and would kick anyone's ass used to smoking the elite clones.
Second, all those elite clones are just really inbred/polyhybridized versions of the above, while improving some qualities a lot of qualities are also lost, it's a gene mush. In the future old genes will be really valuable to bring back some much needed qualities which have gotten lost over time. We've been breeding these varieties in artificial indoor conditions(constant temperature, different light quality, no pests/diseases, chemical fertilizer) so long most of them don't have a clue when you put them outside, and don't have any of the necessary defenses. Outdoor will become the norm again, and 90% of the indoor breeding work will prove to be useless.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Outdoor will become the norm again, and 90% of the indoor breeding work will prove to be useless.

Just wait till all of these Colorado farmers are growing Hemp and have hundred thousands to many millions of Hemp males all spewing pollen and the wind is just going to send it traveling around. Breeders may just have to stay indoors for a good amount of the year.

barnyard

The paper towel and plastic germination method (or variations there of) was originally developed to test germination rates not to start plants. It might be worth using this method testing a couple of groups of ten seeds to see the germination rates.

Properly used Gibberellic Acid can help facilitate germination in old seed. Here's an informative link:

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm#GA-3 Information Sheet

Although I would save my money and use a normal germination method in a gentle manner. Don't doing anything to shock the beans. Then give them plenty of time to germinate like over a month. Patience and allowing enough time are the key variables in getting old seed to germinate, IME.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yeahthats:
phillip hauge, tierra rojo, was with gaia wellness, golden goat... not sure where he's at nowadays.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep it American, don't let those funky Dutch growers skunk you up :D

homebrew420

I would be willing to take a crack at it..no pun intended. I have space but will be slow going as seed room is small and can only accomidate one group fems with male counterpart every 3 weeks. New rounds of parents into the room as the other previous parents finish. I will be undertaking a number of landrace and presevation project this year. I have created over 150 hybrids and have seen at least 12 to f2 and beyond witha few in the F4 gens now. We can test upto 30 females every 63 days. ANd are considering testing males for ratio profiles to predetermine? the usefulness in male population. You know, so I throw away the prized male.
Let me know if this sounds of interest to you

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
elite cannabis, davillian cannaseur & scott from rare dankness are doing alot of testing based breeding based out of CO, im testing some of their CBD crosses made with scotts og male.

So the list so far (11/29/14):

Rare Dankness (www.raredankness.com)
303 Seeds (www.303seeds.com)
Centennial Seeds (www.centennialseeds.com)
La Plata Labs (www.laplatalabs.com)
Reserva Privada (www.reservaprivadacolorado.com/)
Cannarado (www.cannaradoseedco.com)
Rootseller (www.rootseller.co)
The Bank (www.thebankgenetics.com)
14er Holistics (https://www.facebook.com/pages/14er-Holistics/10150135371255195)
Greenpoint Seeds (http://www.greenpointseeds.com/)
Johnston's Genetics (https://www.facebook.com/JohnstonsGenetics)
The Chosen Few Seed Co. (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chosen-Few-Seed-Co/205489789475081)
Down With Dirt (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Down-with-Dirt-Seed-Co/401712369913087)

BOG Seeds available at Growfax (SooperSmurph)

Rocky Mountain Seed Bank (Alphakronik, Dynasty, Johnston's & La Plata Labs) (http://rockymountainseedbank.com/)

additionally, recent orders from Herbies have come through without any green tape...

R.A.W

Hm if the thought is to keep the strains going and doing real breeding with them Chimera or Tom Hill would be my first choice.