What's new

My Little Closet

frozen420

Hi all!

Time to start my second grow in my little closet up in this cold danky wonderland in the northern hemisphere... And make my first post in these forums! :tiphat:

You could say I'm a third-time grower. The first one was in a minuscule 30x30x80 cm tent and didn't go well - the single little baby in it snapped, when I let it grow too tall and then tried to bend it under a scrog... Second time was better, I managed to nurture two Early Widows until harvest. However, yield was very low, I'd say around 20, max 30 grams. This was probably partly due to my moving from another city stressing the plants, and certainly due to me not being able to keep my greedy hands off the flowers during the last weeks... :D

Now I'm starting my third grow with almost the same setup as last time: 60x60x160 tent with 90W LED. New thing this time is AutoPot easy2grow kit with four buckets. I've only ever grown in coco and as a beginner I absolutely love it. Mixed with clay pebbles previously, yet this time I'm using 50/50 coco-perlite mix.

I intend to document this and future grows here to get advice and hopefully at some point also give out help for people getting started with similar grows. And also to have some peer pressure to keep my hands off the flowers until harvest... :D I was heavily inspired by MrX's photography here: here and thus will be trying to post a lot of pics. Hopefully I'll be able to improve on the quality, it's not easy to get good pictures with mostly just red parts of the spectrum in the tent...

Here's my setup with AutoPots not yet connected to allow time for proper rooting. Three days after plating soaked seeds. Watered pretty generously with mild mix of Superthrive and Rhizotonic. Spraying water with Rhizotonic on the babies as often as I'm home. I planted three THC Bomb seeds and one AK-48. Sadly, one THC Bomb died after sprouting. It will be replaced by a White Widow clone in a couple of days.

b029n.jpg

Close-up, same day.

hk3uw.jpg

Same plant one night later.

dv5gu.jpg

So that's what's going. Do share any tips, if you feel like it! :)

Yours,

frozen420

frozen420

Day 8 - First watering with nutrients. All three seedlings were looking hungry by now and were very tall - one actually fell over couple of times... I reckon this could be due to Superthrive. I read somewhere it might cause them to grow a leap.

I've previously used Canna's Coco, Rhizotonic, Cannazym and Boost, and so I'll probably stick to those this time as well. I'm mostly using their online guide to figure out proper mixtures and improvising from that if need be.

Last time I was hand-watering and set pH to 5.8 in all water+nutes going in. This time I'll probably check and adjust tank pH after filling, maybe even between fillings - any advice on this?

Anyway, moving on...

Day 11 - Autopot system installed and online! Works very fine, keeps a constant approx. 1 cm water level. Tank filled with Vegetative Phase I mix. Lighting changed to 12/12 from this night on. Standing by for growth spurt...

ncttd.jpg

Day 13 - Here they are, all four of 'em. The White Widow clone came in on day 5. I think it has whithered the shock and has now slowly adjusted. It looks a little better every day. I hope it'll adjust to a nutrition schedule designed for the three seedlings.

8vk28.jpg

7ntnq.jpg

(Hopefully) keeping them alive,

//frozen420

frozen420

Looks like the light needs to be closer

Good point. It's now at the height where it was before harvest last time. I thought I'd leave it there for now to not 'burn' the seedlings when I planted them. But it's definitely time to move it lower.

//frozen420

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
turn off the fan and listen…. they are crying for you to go and give them some light.

good luck and prop your floppies.

Big Bob

Hiyaaa, how's them hanging in there? Any flowering happening already? Hope to see some nice buds in the end :)!

As a fellow led grower must say looks good. But I have to agree, put the light closer. I run a 400w and with seedlings I put them 16" away MAX! Those stalks are very very small. LED promote short/bushy plants if used right. But yours have a lot of stretch

very nice ! and love the clean tidy setup. would u say there has been any major hurdles working the system your using ? or super simple and straight forward

frozen420

Here again, sorry for the little downtime. Busy with work, etc... And thanks for the nice words, all! :)

A lot's been happening and the gals are growing like hell. I went up to Vegetative Phase II nutrients and will very soon be upping them again, since it seems they take it all and ask for more. Wonder if it's the Autopot, the coco or just good luck...

There was a small mishap two weeks ago, when the AK-48 fell down. It was about 15cm in length at the time. I supported it a little for a while and turned off the fan I have in the tent for air circulation. The plant was on its side for long enough to turn, but luckily it's now upright and recovered - as you can see in the last pics.

The first two pics in this set were taken exactly two weeks ago and the last two yesterday after I installed the scrog.

Day 24 (6th Feb) - This is the largest THC Bomb.

ur03e.jpg

Day 24 - The cloned White Widow had also started to show good life and growth at this time.

cdf3r.jpg

Day 37 - Here they are yesterday after installing the scrog. Yes, there one or two leaves more than in the previous pic...

wwp46.jpg

Day 37 - Close-up of the tops. The scrog is Pronet 120 elastic rubber net with hooks. Very easy to set-up and more versatile than the metal/steel nets etc. I've tried previously.

qk3hl.jpg

So there you go! I almost feel like it's too easy now... :D

Yours,

//frozen420

frozen420

Oh yeah, meant to comment on the WW. Two weeks ago it seemed to be waking up pretty well, though now the growth has stagnated somewhat. I have no experience with cloned plants, so don't know if this is normal(?).

Not panicking yet, as the scrog will limit the others' height from now on. I'll just have to make sure they leave enough light and space for the WW. Also, the WW was just an emergency solution to replace the seed that died and naturally I was aware that it might not adapt perfectly to the others' schedule (with Autopot I'm unable to control nutes plant-by-plant).

//frozen420

frozen420

very nice ! and love the clean tidy setup. would u say there has been any major hurdles working the system your using ? or super simple and straight forward

Thanks! I'm also very happy how it has worked out so far. Only a little hiss and an embedded lock in a closet door lie about the contents.

It's been very plug-and-play. Frankly, the biggest ordeal was installing the filter and duct pump. And even that was hard mainly because I was doing it without removing the LED and other installations first and standing in a closet, so... :D

The Autopot itself does take some setting up, but nothing major. Cutting a few tubes and connecting the valves. Very easy and quick! I went the extra mile and completely washed and rinsed all parts of the set-up. Mostly to minimize the possibility of clog-up and leak but also to be more hygienic for the plants.

I have no affiliation with Autopot or anything, but I just gotta give this product a big hand. I'm very impressed how simple and effective it is. I already have big plans involving Rainforest 66 and stuff, but yet I feel like I'm never getting rid of the Autopot. It's beautiful.

I might also say a few things about growing in a closet. After all, that's kinda implied by the title.. :p I chose a closet grow, because absolute stealth is essential to me. However, that stealth comes with drawbacks. I had to shorten the other side of the tent to fit it in the closet, all the machinery has to be crammed in the tent (save for the water tank, luckily) and working with the plants/tent happens often in very awkward positions. The air conditioning offers some challenge as well, it's not soundproof (sleeping next to it...) and probably the air doesn't circulate really well in a small closet.

So you could say I went for a closet just to be inspired and start drawing up bigger plans. More on these later, if they ever materialize. Just know, that if you go the closet way, be prepared to hold back your growing hunger... :D And if you have any questions about this, do shoot!

//frozen420

Latest posts

Latest posts