What's new

DWC, Lucas Formula, and 12/12 from seed

ISM2

I have no experience with either of these techniques, so I decided to do a little side experiment. I have a little space in the flower room perfect for this. I'm growing under (1) 400w HPS.

The container is a 3-gallon tote with two ~8" bubble wands attached to the bottom, providing lots of bubbles in the solution. I originally built this to be used as a cloner, hence the duct tape covering the small holes.
There are two, 3" net pots filled with Hydroton and a 1.5" Rockwool cube. Filling the container with 2.5 gallons of water puts the net pots about 3/4 the way into the solution.

The seeds are from a many years previous grow of Lemon Skunk x (Northern Lights x Shiva). I'm rolling the genetic dice and hoping for two females!
I've started them in a Petri dish lined with vermiculite. Once they sprout, they will go into the Rockwool cubes and lightly covered with vermiculite.

I'll run the Lucas Formula at 50% for now, which is 4ml GH Micro and 8ml GH Bloom.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
subbed in. have been looking at this style of grow (hydro) so will be nice to see how you get on. Best of luck with your grow.

v1ru5

Heh, I just have 18 Killing Fields and 2 Kolossus come up. We're not far apart in our timings..

I will have a bit more light though. But kinda the same DIY DWC (these also just a tad bit bigger) idea etc... :)

ISM2

Heh, I just have 18 Killing Fields and 2 Kolossus come up. We're not far apart in our timings..

I will have a bit more light though. But kinda the same DIY DWC (these also just a tad bit bigger) idea etc... :)

Are you using the Lucas formula?

ISM2

The seeds have since sprouted and were carefully placed into the Rockwool cubes, then lightly covered with vermiculite.
I'll take another pic once they are out and showing some leaves.

Does anyone else get all giddy when they see the little seedling breaking ground? lol

Pro Headies

Veteran
The seeds have since sprouted and were carefully placed into the Rockwool cubes, then lightly covered with vermiculite.
I'll take another pic once they are out and showing some leaves.

Does anyone else get all giddy when they see the little seedling breaking ground? lol

Going to join in on the show buddy. Im like you, love seeing them pop there heads up out of the soil.

Shiva isnt she a NL cross? Sounds like a lemon flavored northern lights cross you got there. BCSC NL5 was my first real strain. Fond memories...

ISM2

Going to join in on the show buddy. Im like you, love seeing them pop there heads up out of the soil.

Shiva isnt she a NL cross? Sounds like a lemon flavored northern lights cross you got there. BCSC NL5 was my first real strain. Fond memories...

Welcome to the show, PH!!

I'm not sure about the NL cross in the Shiva. The NLxShiva I got many years ago. It was my first real strain. I saved some pollen from a male then pollinated a Lemon Skunk female to make these seeds. These genetics (seeds) are at least 9 years old. Bringing back-to-life some old school stuff!

Here they are at 3 days under 12/12. This morning I spied a root sticking out of the net pot of the plant in the foreground. It has abt a 1-2 day growth lead on the one in the background.

ISM2

Day 11 - These leaves are WAY fatter than the ones under 24/0. ...showing their Indica side? Both plants have healthy roots coming from the net pots and into the solution.
I'm still running the Lucas formula at 50%.

I had to prop the plant on the right to help strengthen the stalk.

ISM2

Day 17
Switched to 100% strength Lucas formula. (8ml Flora Micro + 16ml Flora Bloom to 1gal of pH adjusted water)
Adjusted pH of 2 gallons of tap water from 7.7 to 5.8 by adding 4ml of pH down, then I added the Micro followed by the Bloom.
Added a small water heater set to 65F.

The lights-on temp: ~60F
The lights-off temp: ~58F

I need to add a small heater to the room.

H

Harley420

can i ask why you use the lucas formula over the grow,micro,bloom...?

ISM2

great thread just subbed..all the best fella with your grow
Thank you!

Harley420 said:
can i ask why you use the lucas formula over the grow,micro,bloom...?
I figured since I was trying DWC and 12/12 from seed for the first time that I'd go ahead and throw a 3rd variable in there...plus, I'm out of the Grow mix so the Lucas formula was a perfect fit. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts