What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Concentrates (BHO, Shatter, QWET) under UV Light / Ultraviolet Light / Black Light

Please excuse the SEO in the title.

Anyways, I posted about this on FuckCombustion, but I feel the audience of this forum may be interested as well since I couldn't find any prior discussion of the topic.

The following is a verbatim copy of my post on FC:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/concentrates-under-a-uv-light.16341/#post-692045

I was over at a friends place and he had recently purchased a flashlight w/ a UV mode. Inevitably we shined the UV light on our oils and discovered a surprising difference between ours.

WMXIqfZ.png

His is the top, pinkish one and was purchased from a local dispensary. It's mid-shelf price wise and says it was extracted with n-butane. Mine is the bottom, blueish one and was extracted yesterday with a QWET method. Considering taste, there's not a major difference between the two, though I'd say the blue one is slightly smoother.

I think the red color is from chlorophyll: http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/consumer/faq/what-are-fluorescent-compounds.shtml

The blue is, I believe, associated with chlorophyll breakdown: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081020093454.htm

The oil I made was dewaxed in the freezer for 24 hrs so this might be proof of that working. However this is just speculation so I'd love to hear some input from some more chemistry minded members.

pretty cool, got any more oil samples to try?

It's on the agenda. I made the oil below almost two months ago, but I still have a sample. It was made with a hr long butane soak @ -50° so I'm interested to see how it compares with the 30 sec ethanol wash in which the blue oil (UV light pic) was extracted.

5bzRDqJ.png

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We use a NDT blacklight to inspect for residual solvent and mold aflatoxins. Petroleum phosphorescence blue under UV and composting mold phosphorescence green.

We use a NDT blacklight to inspect for residual solvent and mold aflatoxins. Petroleum phosphorescence blue under UV and composting mold phosphorescence green.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since ethanol isn't a petroleum derivative would it still phosphoresce blue? From what I've read online, ethanol seems to only weakly absorb UV light, so it's often used as a carrier solvent for examining the phosphorescence of other chemicals.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since ethanol isn't a petroleum derivative would it still phosphoresce blue? From what I've read online, ethanol seems to only weakly absorb UV light, so it's often used as a carrier solvent for examining the phosphorescence of other chemicals.

In water, it reflects UV blue/purple tones, but doesn't phosphoresce blue.

jpdnkstr

Can someone please post a pic of what our concentrates SHOULD look like under a blacklight?! Do I need the yellow inspection glasses also?!

flatslabs

I think you could get by with a basic UV flashlight in the 365nm range for basic testing, you aren't going to kill all of your goodies with a quick inspection by not using an NDT light, but I will let GW offer his opinion on that.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are all ndt lights 250$+ or am I just searching the wrong places?

The NDT UV lights are just certified to be in the correct 3600 ansgtrom wave length and has limits on the amount of white light emitted.

I used to buy Phillips bulbs which were certified, that were identical in every way to ones not certified, except they passed final inspection and the other ones didn't, and which were sold as ornamental bulbs.

I think you could get by with a basic UV flashlight in the 365nm range for basic testing, you aren't going to kill all of your goodies with a quick inspection by not using an NDT light, but I will let GW offer his opinion on that.

I found out going much higher than 365nm doesn't work that well. The picture in the OP was taken with my buddy's low wattage 365nm LED. I bought a 395nm for myself and it's worthless compared to the 365nm. Since it's brighter and puts out more visible light, it overwhelms most of the fluorescence.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
According to mah aging NDT handbook, ah bought spanking new in 1963 (Hee, hee, hee), the human eye can perceive everything from violet at 390 nm, to red at 720, but the optimum visible light range is 470, to 610 nm.

Its greatest brightness response is around 550/560 nm.

3600 ang is "Ultra" violet and beyond our perception, except for the fluorescence it incites.

The certified range for most NDT blacklights is 365 to 370 nm, and all that I've personal experimented with. Here is a link showing such a device:

http://www.tedndt.com/cat/cat56.php

Latest posts

Latest posts