What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY 2" bulkhead for RDWC

Bennyweed1

Veteran
I finally found a setup that works. I been looking for a long time and randomly trying different PVC parts from hardware stores.

Today I finally found something that works awesome for joining buckets together using 2" PVC. If you want larger diameter then read to further, but if 2" works for you like it does for most application, then proceed.

Good news is, each bulkhead will cost $2.80 + tax and is available at menards right now.

Here is the parts list:

2" PVC Male Adapter (sku: 6897276) $1.28 http://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...-40-fittings/2-pvc-male-adapter/p-1752295.htm

2" slip joint to thread on the 2" male adapter (I actually had one so I didnt have to buy it, add to total cost. Maybe 50-75 cents max.)

Plumb Works Tank-to-bowl Rubber Washer (sku: 6641379) $.99 http://www.menards.com/main/p-2242573.htm

I tested it out on a 5 gallon bucket with no leaks. Me personally, I could never spend the unreasonable price for an RDWC system when the only real limiting factor was the bulkheads needed to link all the buckets together. I hope this helps people out there. Grow strong and big.
And thats it.

All the parts needed for each bulkhead
picture.php

Testing on a 5g bucket with a test plug installed. Leak free!
picture.php

I placed the gasket on the outside of the bucket because the gasket is tapered and the tapered end squeezes down and compressor into the hole you cut out.

LordDiesel

My buddy that works for Sea World maintaining 5000+gal salt water tanks turned me on to these, here is what they/I use; http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-1-9d624e9fd3bd011eb7a8f1d40f457d93.html they have 1/2" up to 6" work the best for round surfaces. The site has bulkheads as well but I have never had these leak while bulkheads, for me at least, always require silicone on curved surfaces. Make sure to lube up the pvc really well with dawn (or basic hand soap) before trying to pass it through the uni-seal or else you may tear the seal... cheap enough to order extras

Bennyweed1

Veteran
My buddy that works for Sea World maintaining 5000+gal salt water tanks turned me on to these, here is what they/I use; http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-1-9d624e9fd3bd011eb7a8f1d40f457d93.html they have 1/2" up to 6" work the best for round surfaces. The site has bulkheads as well but I have never had these leak while bulkheads, for me at least, always require silicone on curved surfaces. Make sure to lube up the pvc really well with dawn (or basic hand soap) before trying to pass it through the uni-seal or else you may tear the seal... cheap enough to order extras

I have about 3 dozen 2.5" uniseals I am trying to sell. Bottom line, anything over 1" being used on a 5 gallon bucket will leak.

If they dont leak right away, they will.....on any round surface. That is why I have been searching for a better option, and I have finally found one.

Plus, getting the PVC into the uniseals is beyond difficult. It is literally more difficult then any aspect of growing i have ever encountered. You spend all the work fitting the PVC into the uniseals, fill the system up to discover the smallest leak. It is literally the worst feeling as you have sweat running down your head from fitting the PVC into the leaking uniseals.

Bottom line, uniseals are terrible on 5 gallon buckets. Once you remove and install them a view times, they are even more prone to leaking.

What I have above installs effortlessly, is reusable, and seals a 5 gallon bucket every single time. Plus it cost less then a uniseal and are available locally in most places!

Bennyweed1

Veteran
The tank gasket went up 0.29 cents in the last week.

I wonder if people have been buying them up. Lol, I know I cleared out my local menards.

I have about 3 dozen 2.5" uniseals I am trying to sell. Bottom line, anything over 1" being used on a 5 gallon bucket will leak.

If they dont leak right away, they will.....on any round surface. That is why I have been searching for a better option, and I have finally found one.

Plus, getting the PVC into the uniseals is beyond difficult. It is literally more difficult then any aspect of growing i have ever encountered. You spend all the work fitting the PVC into the uniseals, fill the system up to discover the smallest leak. It is literally the worst feeling as you have sweat running down your head from fitting the PVC into the leaking uniseals.

Bottom line, uniseals are terrible on 5 gallon buckets. Once you remove and install them a view times, they are even more prone to leaking.

What I have above installs effortlessly, is reusable, and seals a 5 gallon bucket every single time. Plus it cost less then a uniseal and are available locally in most places!

+1

My first solid attempt at RDWC was using 12 - 4.5 gallon square totes. I used 2" UniSeals for all of the bulkhead connections (25 of them).

When it was complete, it was a thing of beauty. Did a leak check. All good!!

3 days later one bucket started leaking. I drained the system and found that the bucket had developed a small split at the seal. I patched it with aquarium sealer and refilled. The next day two more buckets were leaking. Drain, patch and fill.... Then more buckets started leaking.

I am not knocking UniSeal's. I still use them. I DON'T use 2" seals in thin buckets though.

I like your design and am going to give it a try in a new system I am working on.

Thanks for the idea!!

Bennyweed1

Veteran
For the record, I have a 8 bucket + control rdwc up and running using these gaskets.

The main perk to having such large bulkheads is it allows for a larger water pump with no water level fluctuations in the buckets. Being able to use a large water pumps allows me to spray water into the first two buckets off the pump. Doing this eliminates the need for air stones and cuts back on the side of air pump needed.

I'm using a 950gph danner mag drive pump for 36 gallons of water.

paper thorn

Veteran
If you want larger diameter then read further,.

So are you going to post some info about larger diameter bulkheads or does that mean we should read elsewhere?

btw, I have 57 dollars worth of uniseals that are junk, useless. Thanks for a great idea. I'm really surprised that there are so few responses here.

My buckets have been sitting empty waiting for an idea like this. Why didn't i think of this?:biggrin:

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Well bump it up. This method is by far the easiest of diy methods out there. Maybe the cheapest too, and by far the largest diameter.