What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving to Colorado to start a grow...

spaceboy

Hey everyone, we are planning a move to Colorado within the next year to start an indoor/outdoor grow and was wondering if the market is tough to tap into? From my limited knowledge the dispensaries are only allowed to purchase from each other so what avenues does that leave for the average grower? I'm talking 10 to 20k watts as well as a decent outdoor setup? I've got a buddy who works as a bud tender out there and he says it's still hard to find consistent high quality out there. Don't know if that's true, but if so I'd be happy to help. Any input appreciate!

monsoon

The average/non-licensed grower here has no options other than to sell to the Black Market. It's just as illegal to grow/possess here after you pass the 6 count as it is anywhere else but the profits are 1/2 or less than where you are now. Breaking into the game is hard because nobody is looking for weed, they are looking to unload weed.

If you want to grow for yourself and have no financial motives, CO is a great place to be. If you want to make $$$ by growing/selling, you are at least 5 years too late.

good luck

yea sorry buddy as a former colorado resident, it is much easier in my opinion to break into California's market as there are way less regulations and it was a lot cheaper to get a license to dispense medical grade. i.e. our lawyer fees were only about 5k to get it all set up and done correctly. also if your looking to do something like that(10-20k lights), California dispensaries regularly take my high grade indoor for 22 to 24 a lb :) not killing it by any means but with my three light flower room in northern cali i live quite comfertably. also the weather and the ground r much nicer to the grower in California hahaha, those rockies r no joke when trying to excavate land for a greenhouse or garden plot. All in all if your really trying to do it legal.. look into Oregon, and California, as medical card holders in these two states can "donate" there extra meds to collectives/dispensaries. They will then reimburse you for your time and money you put into your grow, like i said before i was a colorado resident with red card for quite some time and as far as quality goes, colorado is no joke. Some of those places like River Rock and the clinic can lower there prices anytime they want and they have some great quality to boot. so in my opinion if you want top price for your product without having to sell to the black market with a little less competition i would look into northern cali/ Oregon area, there is so much outdoor in all the collectives they love to see some good quality lab tested indoor grown, and pay more for it :) this site is pretty helpful for the california grower trying to make a name for themselves :) hope this helps brotha man any other questions feel free to ask :) i am a quality man myself and love the high grade all organic grown buds that come from my garden. also forgot to mention all the breeders out here that love new people to test out there seeds for free ;) i haven't had the need to ever pick up a clone out here.

lovinthegreen, so you are saying its possible to get a license for around 5k to be able to "donate" to dispenseries? Or can card holders donate without a special license? I,m in a non legal state and after many years of stressfull nights and dealings with the local and not so local cops I,m about ready to relocate. Any advice for an upcoming legal grower would be welcome, and I have no illusions of getting rich . Maybe being a caregiver for a few people and if able to donate excess to dispensaries.Thanks and peace

Units going on black market for $2200, and that's in the west of Boulder hills... about half what it was just 2 years ago... incredibly expensive to get any sort of license to legally grow large amounts, and since everyone just pulled there first legal outdoor and/or greenhouses for rec, expect price to continue to drop. I would be focusing on getting going in a state that just got medical, or is about to. Those are the places were the market is not saturated and you may have a few years to get a foothold. Even the decent growers with money are getting put out of business here due to market saturation.

X

xavier7995

Anyone think CO might get more lax on this? Personally I am much more interested in setting up a retail shop, the money in doing grows doesn't seem great and I like working with people. I do like it as a hobby though, and it would be great to be able to sell a couple pounds every few months in a legitimate manner when there is leftovers.

RedBeardy5

Xavier, if your goal is to set up a shop, pm me. Stay away from denver, it's completely flooded. Come down to the springs, there are a few areas that are in desperate need for a retail shop. I drive 45 minutes to the nearest shop.

X

xavier7995

Howdy, I don't have PM's. CO springs is actually the first place I was looking at moving into since it is much more affordable...but it really didn't seem to be all that friendly and just didn't quite seem to have the feel I was looking for. In Denver now, I honestly think the market is soft for a shop that actually offers high quality product and environment. The top shelf at most of the dispensaries doesn't really compete with what I was getting on the black market in other cities. Maybe its just wierd bad luck or something.

Drove into the mountains a few weeks ago, I am kind of thinking I should refocus my efforts out there. It was just an amazing place to be and seems like something on the way to the various ski resorts would have decent traffic/business. Really sucks that it is such a difficult and expensive business to get licensed, kind of have to nail it right off the bat.

GetUpStandUp

Does Colorado springs have homeless shelter? I live in a very unfriendly med state, I moved here to be closer to my young kids.I'm originally from socal. I went through a divorce, and, well every man knows the story.I was taken for pretty much everything as I was halfway done with a new off grid home in new Mexico.
I'm not here to get all into my cheese and wine, but long story short, I'm sick of this state, no jobs, and no herb unless you grow or pay out your ass. My life went from progressive of grid, to omg I remember why I left the rat race. So for a number of years I've had plans to move to Colorado, I did have family but recently moved away.
My thoughts are to take my unused skills in growing and off grid building to a place it can grow. California is a sardine can, and tho I'm from there I can't stand to be there. Plus Colorado is closer to my kids.
As I get closer to losing my apartment due to layoff, I'm weighing out my options to stay and be homeless, or take my last cash catch a bus and roll the dice in Colorado.
I've worked the shops in Cali and have a leg up for that as income once I can get a card. But I'm kinda hesitant, one I love my kids and need this to work but hate the thought of possible wrong move. And I don't believe Colorado is wide open in smaller towns.
Any input would be great. And I'm not afraid of the the hard work, just not trying to be stuck in a situation where I can't get anywhere because I'm homeless.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read an article recently about the influx of people moving to CO to enter the pot business. Pueblo, specifically, was mentioned. Apparently the homeless shelters are overflowing because folks are leaving stable lives behind to follow their dreams.

The last guy I spoke to about getting into the industry said he moved to CO & was working as a bud tender after 3 weeks.

HTH

St. Phatty

yea sorry buddy as a former colorado resident, it is much easier in my opinion to break into California's market as there are way less regulations and it was a lot cheaper to get a license to dispense medical grade. i.e. our lawyer fees were only about 5k to get it all set up and done correctly. also if your looking to do something like that(10-20k lights), California dispensaries regularly take my high grade indoor for 22 to 24 a lb :)

I'm glad it works ! :tiphat:

After seeing California change over the years, say 60's 70's etc ... in the 00's I saw entire neighborhoods in suburban NorCal where every other house was a grow house.

That would be fine, if we could export it world-wide.

But I always wondered - who are these people selling to ? Tech folks & other folks too busy to grow can only consume so much.

The average/non-licensed grower here has no options other than to sell to the Black Market. It's just as illegal to grow/possess here after you pass the 6 count as it is anywhere else but the profits are 1/2 or less than where you are now. Breaking into the game is hard because nobody is looking for weed, they are looking to unload weed.

If you want to grow for yourself and have no financial motives, CO is a great place to be. If you want to make $$$ by growing/selling, you are at least 5 years too late.

good luck

IMO this is completely wrong.

The stores here in Denver for the most part are a joke. Managed poorly. Bad product. Horrible employees.

This market is wide open for someone who knows how to run a business. Having more than few grand in your pocket helps, or an investor is even better. The people that have failed, weren't going to make an impact anyhow. Good weed sells. Period.

As the legal biz keeps on trucking, shitty stores will lose out to the good ones. Like any business.

All one has to do, is look at the tax rev that CO took in last year to see business is booming.

Last edited:

redlaser

Veteran
yea sorry buddy as a former colorado resident, it is much easier in my opinion to break into California's market as there are way less regulations and it was a lot cheaper to get a license to dispense medical grade. i.e. our lawyer fees were only about 5k to get it all set up and done correctly. .

For the 5k are you getting a Limited liability partnership? Or was it for a storefront license?

monarch

I live in colorado. Have for the past year 1/2 and three years prior ( 07-10). The black market is defiantly better, Im disappointed a lot by the dispensaries. As a hobby grower I produced better buds than the dispensaries when I was in my second year of college. It seems its about turn over. Buds seem to be not cured very long. I agree there is great opportunity for a well designed business model here.

Bring your money with you! High cost of living, expensive real estate and rent.

Legally entering the Cannabiz!? Get ready to spend $$$ on attorneys, the regulatory process and infrastructure.

Meanwhile, markets are saturated and prices are going down.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bring your money with you! High cost of living, expensive real estate and rent.

Legally entering the Cannabiz!? Get ready to spend $$$ on attorneys, the regulatory process and infrastructure.

Meanwhile, markets are saturated and prices are going down.

Very true. Better to inch towards a state that will be legalizing soon!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
water. that's what f*cked up my plans for moving to colorado.
couldn't get enough water. had a venue, had plans, had help...no water.
you MUST have water, it's an arid state, especially the front range.
good luck. colorado is one beautiful place.