What's new

Old New Zealand landrace acclimatized in the UK?

neongreen

Veteran
I recently acquired some seeds which are reputedly a New Zealand landrace which was brought back to Scotland where it was acclimatized and then brought down to Northern England where it was IBL'd.

I have a little info on this strain that came from another forum, but was wondering if anyone on here might be able to add to it, or comment/speculate about NZ landraces in general/which NZ landrace it might be?

Thaedra be a New Zealand landrace brought back to scotland acclimatised at 55 then taken down to Norfolk and IBLed in a hippy community. Its a fruity sativa, cures to strong lime, good mold resistance, gotta be F10-15 by now, i used the so called silver pheno with a super early male, leafy sativa, genuine good 2 very good weed imo, again these came from **someone** under the name Norfolk n good', thought that name sucked so changed it

She was bred with the earliest male from this years grow (80 or so plants from various strains) again hes unknown but flowered 15th July. The Fem flowered 25th July. She finished early September.

Im predicting an early to late september for these offspring at 55 to 50 lat. Very mold resistant and vigorous plants.

Amazing smell of Raspberry's and lemons, that once dried and cured smells of strong pure nostril burning Lime, quite unique.

Pretty pure untampered with strain, you can see her flowers are mostly leaf like oldschool 70's sativa/haze vars.

Each cluster is about the size of a big strawberry and resin production covers everything. Theres apparently a silver pheno of N & G and this just might of been her as she did sparkle in the sun.

High is medium strong, causes your temples to throb, very nice oldschool hippy weed lol

I only have a few seeds, but hope to find some more soon, and if things go well I hope to reproduce them eventually.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Wow sounds interesting, definitely one of those priceless stories often seen in the community... Australian Norfolk would make more sense than Norfolk/England but I'll definitely take a seat now! Normally when tropical strains are acclimatised into colder climates and heavily bred towards early maturing they loose a lot of their punch and character.

I had the same case with some an old 70s african strain kept in northern Spain by some old farmers and reproduced since then (that should be at least F30 IBL lol). The guys told me they usually chop in September and just let the plants (males and females) do their job, so I guess the strain degenerated a lot already. Basically they didn't have idea of the treasure they may have right there until I spoke to them and asked for the oldest seeds they had!

When this kind of plants are chopped soon and only the earliest plants are harvested, usually all the viable seeds also come from the fastest males and females so the strain evolves really fast towards fast flowering year after year. But all the genetic information and potential of the late flowering plants is lost too. I guess it will be a hard task but some genes should still be there, right? Maybe they just need an opposite late flowering selection under sunny weather for the best potent plants to restore a bit of the magic and original character of the strain. But wrong selection and care of a heirloom can definitely harm it more than preserving it in this case.

Any pics of the scottish-kiwi plants?? Similar cases have been done in Switzerland, Denmark and so on with many other strains. Keep us updated! ;)

Vibes.

neongreen

Veteran
Thanks for the reply Mustafunk. I have to say I've just tried smoking the first early outdoor grown quick-dried samples of a pure Afghan landrace that was supposedly acclimatized in Denmark and now goes by the name "Viking". The effects are very promising to say the least, so I'm hopeful that Thaedra might be a similar case :)

Here are a couple of pics of the Thaedra:
picture.php

picture.php

Also some of my Viking which has two distinct phenos.

Slender and tall pheno:
picture.php

picture.php

Big Eggy

Veteran
Old tread revival.. But I'm interested if any one knows of any good NZ landrace from the south island? From what I understand the climate is similar at coastal regions to the where I am west cornwall and would love to add some inesting genetics to future crosses.