What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stanley Blower Fan Mod

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
to start off, this is an idea i was lucky enough to see on OG before the big bang, i tried it and it works for me. i cant remember the original poster or who the props should go to but i would like to personally thank them for this idea. this is my rendition of the mod.

ok this is how to mod a stanley blower fan for cool tube and heat extraction. first i disassembled the fan case. i then removed the rivets from the 6" starter collar, squeezed it together untill it fit snugly around the outside of the fan grille appx 5". push the starter collar tabs through the grille and bend them over so its attached now. reassemble the fan case and i use 4" cool tube duct so i riveted a reducer 5"-4" onto the starter collar(can use duct tape) now its all secure. this model fan pulls air from separate sides so the one side that has the duct can pull heat from the cool tubes, the open side can be used to remove heat and stale air from the room. a 6" flex duct is taped to the output of the fan and runs to my DYI carbon filter in the attic. the mod side pulls air through about 10' of 4" ducting and two DIY cooltubes with two 400w HPS bulbs and sockets. im currently only using one light but they are setup so later in flower i only have to plug the other one in.

this keeps a negative pressure enviroment in a 5x5x8 closet with no problems. as far as noise, you can hear a fan blowing if its in the same room even if you couldnt see it. i hung mine from the roof with bungie cords and i cant hear it from another room unless i put my ear to the wall but it still only sounds like a fan, not some marijuana making machine. lol

BlindDate

Veteran
You failed to mention why this should be used over a standard Dayton blower or an In-Line centrifugal fan.

Is it cheap? What is the CFM?

Last edited:

killabrown420

BD, they are ~ half the price as daytons or inline fans, have 3 speeds, 2 grounded outlets in the unit w/ overload protection

we use them in the restaurant I work at, they are more for"everyday" use rather than the industrial syle blowers and inline fans. They still circulate a good amount of air, and would be a good addtion to a beginner or hobby grower who doesn't mind doing a few mods

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
This is BRILLIANT. Thats the first time i've seen the Stanley Blower modded like that! Very innovative! SOMEBODY MAKE THIS THREAD A STICKY!

They cost about 45 dollors at homedepot or walmart (type "stanley" in HDs search bar). And according to stanley the cfm ratings are:
Low - 1282 cfm
med - 1746 cfm
high - 2181 cfm

Sounds a bit farfetched to me, but we can all agree that this blower is one powerful mofo.

*EDIT* After checking some other mj sites i found out that bostrom155 is correct and that the Stanley company's ratings are fabricated. The Stanley blower outputs about the same amount of air as a 265cfm dayton.

Last edited:

bostrom155

Hey guys, this is how I'm exhausting my 400, it's blowing into a carbon filter box. The cab is a c22, I put a 150 on the right for my scrog. I've seen tests at Medical Garden, it's about the same as the 256 dayton

Last edited:

aeric

Veteran
just recently saw a slightly larger model @ Lowes, 59 buck i think? vs the smaller $45 Wondered how much pressure it loses with a scrubber over a tougher dayton type?

The Dopest

Veteran
BD, my bad i thought i put the specs and prices but i see now i didnt. basically its like KB420 is correct in sayin it has two grounded 110v sockets and three speed settings. also Pontiac gives the rated specs as from the manufacturer and prices are as quoted. Bostrom, nice setup, wheres a link to your grow thread, i'd like to follow that! Aeric idk how much pressure is lost but i know i have a 8"x24" DIY scrubber in the attic and it blows right through, no smell!

thanks guys for stoppin by!

mmm420socal

The Dopest said:
but it still only sounds like a fan, not some marijuana making machine. lol

Wondering what a marijuana making machine sounds like now :moon: :chin:

Good job man, I saw a Stanley blower like that at Wal Mart for $38.00 AFTER I bought my Dayton 465... DOH.

Good write up.

M

The Dopest

Veteran
a mary makin machine sounds like... well, you know, waaaaa waaaaaaa waaaaaa

no more like brmmmm brmmmmm brrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm

nah its more like whaamm whaaaaaaaam whaaaaaaaam :chin: :pointlaug

thanks mmmsocal! :wave:

The Dopest

Veteran
like i said, this was an idea i saw on OG. this is just my rendition, but i'd still be honored!

I've been using the Stanley for over 3 years now. Best thing in the world. I know that "you get what you pay for" but with the stanley you get way more. it's a wonderful thing

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
I'm definaltey doing this mod for my next grow. And to think, i was gonna dish out $100+ for a dayton. You just saved me $50+ dope, thanks!

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
got the fan today really isnt any need to pull apart the fan, just take the 5in x 4in reducer place the 5in side to the yellow intake opposite side of mode selector. and silicone it in place let it setup few hr's and your set works fine, be sure to have exhaust of fan pointed in the directionya want the air to flow. once sealed it wont move but sucks like a hoover vac,havent made it yet but i'm gonna convert the box it came in to a carbon scrubber. i took the side air blows out traced it to 1 side of the box cut it out, then took a 3in x 4in reducer traced the 3in side to opposite side of boxstright across from other hole. placed the box onto the exhaust for the fan nice snug fit, then put the 3in side of the reducer through top of box. put 4in ducting onto that and bam box satys in place and w/few pounds of carbon for sure will lmao.

Last edited:

Kiefer

Awesome.. I needed this.. how loud is it fellas, and does it lose much push if going through a little drying ducting, and a bend or two?

The Dopest

Veteran
hi Kiefer, mine isnt so loud you ca hear it from another room but you can definitely hear it in the same room. sounds like a fan running, lol also mine is pulling though 4" with bends and bulbs and pushing out through a 6" with casual bend in to an 8" diy carbon filter. no probs

tweaked

i saw threads about this thing on OG too. sounds like a wonder... i desp'ratly wish that i could pick one of these up in Canada. haven't had any luck as of yet though.

bugotti

ive had great success with this mod! i diddnt know this was a widely known thing untill i saw this forum, however if i may, i saw in this pic on the first post, when i set mine up, i remember having to tape this off because it sucked in air, maybe you missed it and could sqweeze a few more horses outta it....
maybe im mistaken
i highlighted what i was talkin about, heres a pic
http://www.weedfarmer.com/pictures/d/104475-1/stanlyblowermod.JPG

The Dopest

Veteran
bugotti, hi thanks for the heads up but i use that side for pulling hot air from the closet. i have the closet central air cooled so thats my cooling and exhaust fan. dual purpose ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts