What's new

Seattle cop who issued 80 percent of marijuana tickets reassigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
SEATTLE (Reuters) - The Seattle Police Department has reassigned an officer who single-handedly issued about 80 percent of the marijuana tickets handed out in the city during the first half of this year, authorities said on Wednesday.

Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O'Toole said staff reviewing data to prepare the department's first biannual report on marijuana enforcement found that 66 of 83 citations for public pot use were given out by just one officer.

"In some instances, the officer added notes to the tickets," O'Toole said in a statement, adding that some of the notes requested the attention of City Attorney Peter Holmes and were addressed to "Petey Holmes."

In one case, she said, "the officer indicated he flipped a coin when contemplating which subject to cite."

In another, O'Toole added, he referred to Washington's voter-approved changes to marijuana laws as "silly."

Washington state voted in 2012 to legalize the sale of cannabis to adults for recreational use but does not allow it to be used in public places.

She said the officer's actions were reported to the police's Office of Professional Accountability, and that he will not perform patrol duties while an investigation takes place.

The six-month report, which was released last week, found African Americans in Seattle were ticketed disproportionately to their population for using pot in public.

The police department said 36 percent of the tickets were issued to African-Americans, who make up just eight percent of the city's population.

A spokesman said the SPD recognized the numbers were disproportionate, and O'Toole reiterated on Wednesday that the study was designed to provide more oversight and to flag "anomalies or outliers" in Seattle's marijuana enforcement.

http://news.msn.com/us/seattle-cop-who-issued-80-percent-of-marijuana-tickets-reassigned

Sisu

Veteran
I hope they make him a clerk and bury his stupid ass so far in the bowels of a shitty building somewhere that he turns into a fucking mole.

waveguide

Veteran
next up: seattle cop disappears in middle of night,

also: short run boutique dog food named after seattle cop

vta

Veteran
Source: Seattle Times (WA)

CITY ATTORNEY SPEAKS OUT ON OFFICER'S POT TICKETING

Advocate of Legalization Discusses Enforcement of Ban

'It's About Getting People to Stop Smoking Marijuana in Public'

In the wake of news stories about a Seattle police officer under investigation for writing 80 percent of the tickets this year for using marijuana in public, Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes on Thursday issued a statement outlining his position on enforcement of the ban.

In some cases, the officer added a notation to the tickets requesting the attention of "Petey Holmes," a strong advocate of pot legalization. Here is Holmes' statement: "In the wake of reports that a single Seattle police officer issued the bulk of tickets for smoking marijuana in public, I want to make sure that the public understands how this civil infraction came to be and why it must be applied fairly. I leave it to SPD's Office of Professional Responsibility and Chief Kathleen O'Toole to sort out the facts about the officer's conduct.

"When I-502 passed voters were promised that public marijuana use would remain illegal, but as a civil infraction rather than a crime.

"As an I-502 sponsor I also consider this my promise, which is why I supported writing the civil infraction into Seattle law.

"This isn't about fining people; it's about getting people to stop smoking marijuana in public, especially in crowded areas and places where families and children congregate. "At the same time City Council wisely recognized that even civil infractions can be issued in a racially disproportionate manner, much like the War on Drugs itself.

"That is why we have a reporting requirement to receive early indicators of any disproportionate enforcement.

"And I'm absolutely concerned about the numbers in the report showing disproportionality.

"I'm also concerned about inconsistent citywide enforcement with both warnings and tickets across the five precincts, which may also be an underlying factor in the first report.

"I support enforcing the law, I support warning people before ticketing them and only issuing a ticket if the warning doesn't work, and I support spreading enforcement efforts equitably across the city."

deezle

I know 'Joker', his nickname downtown. I actually saw him Tuesday while hitting my portable mmj Vape & talked for a moment @ a park near Pike Place where he used to turn his head to my obvious mj biz going one, I was Just a kid/teen a/ a wicked hustle.. It was nice that him & his henchmen (laid back actually like most bike cops most are to smokers/known suppliers & farmers that keep the park stocked w/ 🔥 randomly drop by the park @ a few diff times through out the day😉✌. Though I now work at a garden service myself I do not worry about him or his replicas. But I don't like those surprise visits w/ that 'no arrests today... yet!' look in their eyes. Anyways most criminals would understandably hate LE, the whole idea not necessarily practitioners (lol) aka cops/CO's. But Joker is one of those cops, as w/ most bike cops, who wants to really get out on the street & takedown crack, pill 💊, & meth dealers + 'bikers' like to get into the belly of the beast taking down Real criminals (pimps traficking underagers, rapists,big-time warrants, etc.)! He has simmered down but he knows he fukd up trying to prove a point by writing absurd tickets.

Fucking Bullshit propaganda article to promote the leftist racist agenda. If anyone has been in downtown Seattle during the night you'll see waaay more than 8%black people. There's a lot of Crack and meth use and these fuckers are on the streets all night until the sun comes up. He ticketed people for smoking in public which is illegal. I smoke in public and always have and I know the law is Bullshit but I certainly expect a ticket if I'm blatant and rude. I'm no racist but it's easy to see all the black people on Crack when you're downtown. Why not roust them. You need to stay in their face or they will just ignore law enforcement and shit will snowball and get even worse. Fucking crackhead spit in my face because I didn't give him five dollars so I threw my beer bottle at his face and missed by an inch. Then I jumped away about 20feet and talked some shit. I didn't stand a chance because this guy was 6' 250lbs and I'm 160. Welcome to Seattle!

Genghis Kush

Fucking Bullshit propaganda article to promote the leftist racist agenda. If anyone has been in downtown Seattle during the night you'll see waaay more than 8%black people. There's a lot of Crack and meth use and these fuckers are on the streets all night until the sun comes up. He ticketed people for smoking in public which is illegal. I smoke in public and always have and I know the law is Bullshit but I certainly expect a ticket if I'm blatant and rude. I'm no racist but it's easy to see all the black people on Crack when you're downtown. Why not roust them. You need to stay in their face or they will just ignore law enforcement and shit will snowball and get even worse. Fucking crackhead spit in my face because I didn't give him five dollars so I threw my beer bottle at his face and missed by an inch. Then I jumped away about 20feet and talked some shit. I didn't stand a chance because this guy was 6' 250lbs and I'm 160. Welcome to Seattle!

You sure sound racist. Don't kid yourself

I fell in love with a black girl. Also most of her family was black, lol. Unfortunately she's not around anymore.. Walk on the streets of Seattle after 11pm and tell me what you see.. My dad was on Crack in the 80's and white as fuck. We lived in a rural area where it was mostly white trash. No black trash like on the streets of Seattle. The racism came from the article not me. White people can do Crack and act like idiots too. My experience was with Seattle. Why does the article generalize 'Seattle' anyways? What part 'Seattle'? Some areas have more black folks than others.

Doc D

I lived in downtown Seattle for 9 years, it has a horrible homeless and drug (not cannabis) problem... So with all those crack heads and meth heads why was this cop so adamant about cannabis users?

BTW, If you have to start you sentence with "I'm no racist but..." , you are a racist. Period.

Sounds like this prick will be Seattle's newest meter maid. Those downtown folks, better keep a pocket full of quarters. IME unhappy pricks, crave making others unhappy. The subject or task doesn't really matter to them. They'll abuse any amount of authority they have. To bad the Purge isn't real, that would make America great again.

thepurge.png

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I think calling someone out as a racist deserves a negative rep.

I think calling someone out as a racist deserves a negative rep.

Negative rep?
What's wrong? You agree with him and are Scared to face something in yourself?

More negative rep for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts