What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

winterizing tech & equip help

pnw bb

Hey guys Im thinking of doing some winterization testing on a series of bho runs. This will be my first attempt at winterization. any links to where to procure solvent and any technique advice is all welcome.Thanks!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only thing I do that Greywolf doesn't specifically state is that I do the filter after winterization in the freezer.

Ummmm, not sure where I missed revealing the secret about the filter part, but good point! I too filter the alcohol/oil solution to remove the precipitated plant waxes, after freezing for <48 hours at 0F.

BrainChild

According to the msds it's 200 proof ethyl alcohol. I've only ever used everclear which is 190 proof, I'd be interested to know the benefits of using pure etoh vs everclear.

cauldron

i never said it was superior. it is an easy and reliable source with more options (not to say Sierra Chemical isn't). it's also $4 cheaper for a gallon, plus you're supporting our industry.

pnw bb

So any links to where I can buy some 200 proof undenatured? im not in cali so sierra is out of the question.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
According to the msds it's 200 proof ethyl alcohol. I've only ever used everclear which is 190 proof, I'd be interested to know the benefits of using pure etoh vs everclear.

I looked at their MSDS, and all it says is 100% (200 proof) anhydrous ethanol, so I question their claim of a secret formula.

Before using any ethanol more concentrated than the azeotropic ~95.6%, I question how the balance of the water was removed.

If a drying agent was used, which one?

100% doesn't answer questions at the parts per millionth levels.

Has it been lab tested for residuals?

100% alcohol is also highly hygroscopic, so it doesn't stay that pure long in contact with the atmosphere and moisture in the material, even frozen.

That brings us to price, which in these parts is heavily influenced by alcohol taxes. Everclear sells for about three X what I could make it for, buying all the ingredients, and not growing my own corn.

If the Kleen Extract ethanol is salubrious enough for extractions (vacuum distilled to 100%?), then price delivered and "family" would certainly play a major role. We will be paying the taxes either way.

Checking their site, I didn't see prices. What are they charging delivered to the West Coast?

Chonkski

You make all the best points in this regard, as usual, Gray Wolf..

300$-5gal
80$-1gal

Not sure about shipped, I've never tried them.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I looked at their MSDS, and all it says is 100% (200 proof) anhydrous ethanol, so I question their claim of a secret formula.

Before using any ethanol more concentrated than the azeotropic ~95.6%, I question how the balance of the water was removed.

If a drying agent was used, which one?

100% doesn't answer questions at the parts per millionth levels.

Has it been lab tested for residuals?

100% alcohol is also highly hygroscopic, so it doesn't stay that pure long in contact with the atmosphere and moisture in the material, even frozen.

That brings us to price, which in these parts is heavily influenced by alcohol taxes. Everclear sells for about three X what I could make it for, buying all the ingredients, and not growing my own corn.

If the Kleen Extract ethanol is salubrious enough for extractions (vacuum distilled to 100%?), then price delivered and "family" would certainly play a major role. We will be paying the taxes either way.

Checking their site, I didn't see prices. What are they charging delivered to the West Coast?

Yep, while talking with the Kleen Xtract guy at Chalice, I suggested he try evaporating some off and taking a look at what's left behind. He came back with he'd tried that with a quart, and would try it with a larger quantity.

I also asked for larger quantities, which they immediately added to their site.

Their prices are very competitive, and they ship to all fifty...